Ask Travis: A Master Replicas Photo Puppet Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetguy

Reaction score
Where are you TRAVIS?

Ok, It has been a very long time. Please can we have some news on the bear and the pig...Pretty Please:embarrassed:

I need some type of news. Everything on the MR website is almost all sold out, no new items have been posted yet. Has anyone else noticed this?

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Well, at least no news isn't bad news! I am worried though.

My hopes are that MR has done pretty well with Gonzo, especially since our overseas friends haven't even received theirs yet. It seems as though most people on the boards that are in the market for the posers have gotten/ordered one. Even though their are a couple of people that we still can't convince on how great he is, he seems to be an easier sell than Animal.

I am still surprised that they haven't done something about the awful pics on their website. It seems like such an easy fix for something that could make such a difference to sales.

TRAVIS, WHERE ARE YOU! We miss you dude!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I doubt we drove off Travis. He's likely busy with life and the restructuring that we already know that's happening within the company. I don't have any official word on this, but I don't think there's cause for concern. We didn't break Travis and we didn't kill the Muppet line. I wonder about Gonzo sales. I am so glad to have mine.

I will see what I can find out (short of stalking, of course...he he) when time permits. We didn't break Travis! I'm sure he is just fine. :big_grin:

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
Hey gang-

Sorry I've been away so long. As someone surmised, I have been busy -- both with my job, and my new son. Anyway, I am still here, and I am going to try to get right into answering some of these old questions...

Travis:

Anymore updates as far as Fozzie doing or the next Muppet poser?

And is the Fozzie Poser going to be at toy fair? That would be awesome to see him there again this year!
Here's the update on Fozzie. We expect the first factory sample sometime this week, or next. And frankly, since it's a new vendor, we expect it to be... pretty bad. If it's not too horrendous, and once we've had time to evaluate and comment on him, maybe I will try to post some pics, along with a commentary about what's good, what's bad, and what's ugly. No promises though. If he's hideous, I might keep him hidden in a dark corner.

Yes, Fozzie will be (or rather, was) at Toy Fair...

Travis,

Is it SOP that a final product photo is used on the MR website, once it's available to you? When items require a proto photo for pre-sale orders, is it changed as soon as a final product photo is taken?
The idea is that we put up pre-production pics to pre-sell and then update them once production pics are available. But as you've seen, this doesn't always happen. We're a relatively small staff, and we only have one person who takes our pictures, and if he's moved on to something else, sometimes the new pics never happen.

When I asked last week concerning marketing campaigns, I guess what I was asking was what media is used? Is it mainly online, Toy Fare magazine for print, San Diego Comic Con, Disney websites, and distributors? The reason I ask is that other than a Newbury Comics franchise store, and finding out about it here at MC I would have never known about Kermit. Is there a reason that marketing wasn't extended to specialty stores such as Spencer Gifts or Toys R US? Do you think the small bit of advertising that is done attributed to Kermit taking so long to sell out? Will that change for quicker sales numbers?
When dealing with collectibles -- particularly high end, low run collectibles -- our hands are tied in terms of the marketing dollars that we have to spend. It's signifcantly more "viral" than anything else... So yes, we use the toy media, and the various comic conventions... but things like TRU and Spencers are out of the question for the Muppets because (a) they cannot/will not carry the products, and (b) even if they did, co-op advertising would probably cost more with a major retailer, than we actually make in proft on the products! So for the time being, we will be staying with on-line marketing, and word of mouth!

With the loss of the Lucasfilm account, and a majority of MR products therein can you give any insight as to what MR will be adding to (for lack of a better word) make-up for and maintain their international position as a collector's source for high quality replicas?
The answer is two-fold. In terms of high end props & collectibes, we're continuting Star Trek and Disney... plus we've added additional key licenses, liek James Bond and Nintendo. The second part of the answer is that, as the NEW Corgi, we are not just a prop replica company anymore, and we're expanding into new categories... so for Bond and Nintnendo, you will see not only collectors stuff, but also action figures, plush, role-play, and more! Plus, we still have that killer Harry Potter Master Toy license in Europe!

Lastly, for no other reason than curiosity and keeping morale could you tell us exactly where production of fozzie is at this point? I think the smallest detasl would be very interesting and informative. Even something as trivial as deciding on artwork for the box.
See above.

To add onto what Kevin Knight said about what stage is Fozzie in right now, I would also like to ask you, has there been any talk with Terry on Piggy and what's going on with her? Any update would be great. I know it's been awhile since we last heard of Piggy.
There has been no further discussion with Terry on Piggy at this time. We still plan to do her, but there are other ducks to get "in a row" first...

P.S. Other than the Muppet Statues being shown at Toyfair, will there be any other muppety items there as well?
Not for 2008.

In retrospect... Do you feel that the planning of the release schedule is too optimistic for the production process?

No, I don't think so. It varies on a case by case basis. Gonzo took a loooooooong time. But Fozzie is coming along as planned. I still think 2 per year is reasonable.

How did you come up with the one piece eyelid for Animal and Gonzo? Did you look into a split two piece eyelid so that it could mimic the real eye mechanics?
Personally, I didn't... and so I don't know.

Should we expect accessories to come soon for the Muppets?
Not in 2008.

Do you use a dart board for important decisions like projects? Just wondering...:sing:
I'd say that it's a dartboard with your picture on it, but I don't want to give you an ego.

Do you think that Muppets like Beaker and the Chef really need to be solid? I mean they are for the most part baggy, would you consider building them like the life sized Dancing Homer or xmas Homer on a C Stand type model so that you could set him up fast? If you need me to draw a Pitcha'... I'll need crayons.
Honestly, I haven't even thought about that yet. Too far in the future.

Consider, if you will side-lining the Pig. Honestly, She's a pain in all aspects from design to shelf... and Jerry Nelson really needs to have some props with Floyd being made.
I would love to do Floyd. But I am not going to hold my breath, at this juncture. But you should.

Hi Travis, just a quick one. I've been shown an image that I am told is the first factory proto-photo of Fozzie and because of the difficulty in finding his fur they have had to use alternative materials. Is this really it?

http://www.collectorsconnection.com/imagesf/35a522.jpg
:big_grin:
LOL, that was good.

Hey travis. I was wondering if the Fozzie at Toy Fair is the final one and is the hat removable.
Far from it. That's still the prototype from Terry. But yes, the hat is removable, and will be on the final product.

Hey Travis. Are the Electric Mayhem Muppet figurines pictured at Toy Fare prototypes or are they the final factory samples? What would you say sets these apart from the Sideshow and Palisades work? And what ideas would you have for Muppet Moments in the future? These Mayhem ones are attractive, but are you planning things like Kermit on a bicycle, Gonzo with a camera, Muppet kitchen rats or Muppet Monsters? I think this medium allows for greater exploitation of character, pose and nuance than the busts or action figures of years past.

Those are prototypes, yes. What sets them apart? Well, they're a bit more stylized. They are based on some really cool style guide art. As for the future of that line, I've thought of nothing beyond the EM Band right now. But, I will get right on it. :smile:

Travis, as Terry sent the Animal and Gonzo prototypes over naked, were the clothes then scratch designed in China, or are they from Studio patterns as well?
No, the clothes were designed in China. The workshop does not provide patterns for their outfits.

I am really ready for da BEAR! When is the Pre-order coming up?
Not sure yet. Let's see what he looks like when we get the sample!

And I think that's it for now... yes, I saw that Blinky_Fish had more questions... but he can wait. I will be around. Talk to y'all soon.

T

goodrastus

Reaction score
Thanks Travis - It's great to hear that Fozzie is moving right along nicely. Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.