1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Ashanti, Tarantino Off to See Muppets in 'Oz'

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Luke, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Luke

Luke Active Member

Ashanti, Tarantino Off to See Muppets in 'Oz'

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - R&B singer Ashanti and director Quentin Tarantino are set to star in ABC's original movie tentatively titled "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz."

Queen Latifah, meanwhile, is in final negotiations to appear in the Muppet take on the classic L. Frank Baum novel.

Ashanti plays aspiring performer Dorothy Gale, who works at the diner of her Auntie Em (Latifah) in a small Kansas town while dreaming of hitting the big time.

One day, a tornado sweeps up the trailer where Dorothy lives, and she finds herself in a Muppet version of Oz. There, she meets the Munchkins (played by the Muppet rats), the Scarecrow (Kermit the Frog), the Tin Man (Gonzo) and the Lion (Fozzie).

The group's quest to get the Wicked Witch (Miss Piggy) culminates with a fight scene between Dorothy and the witch.

As the action is about to begin, the film cuts to Tarantino pitching to Kermit how the scene should be done -- a cameo written specifically for the "Kill Bill" director.

Kirk R. Thatcher, who directed NBC's successful "Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" in 2002, is on board to shoot the film, which will air as part of the Wonderful World of Disney franchise. It will feature several music numbers but will not be a musical.

The Jim Henson Co., the creator of the "Muppets," began development on the film with ABC before the network's Disney parent bought Henson's "Muppets" and "Bear in the Big Blue House" properties in February.

Ashanti will next be seen in Paramount's "Coach Carter," starring Samuel L. Jackson. Queen Latifah, who received an Oscar nomination for her supporting role in the musical "Chicago," was most recently seen in "Barbershop 2: Back in Business." Her upcoming movies include "Taxi," "Beauty Shop" and "The Cookout."

Tarantino's acting credits include a guest arc on ABC's "Alias," as well as the 1995 feature "Destiny Turns on the Radio."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=televisionNews&storyID=6051105
  2. Hat Sharpener

Hat Sharpener New Member

While there are a million comments to be made on this, I will just say that it's nice to see Jim Hill on top of all things Muppet as usual... oh wait...
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Ashanti? As Dorothy? Boy... Have I bet on the wrong horse.

And what, just what will Q.T. be doing in it?

This project is starting to get... let's say...interresting.
  4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

QT! QT! QT! Perhaps Disney does have some edge left...wow, that is very very good news. Can anyone tell us if this production will try to be somewhat of the edgy flavor hinted at in AVMMCM?
  5. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

I should think so Cory, Kirk Thatcher and Brian Henson are doingn this one, And they did Its A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie too.

Oh, and can someone shut DeanMo up?
  6. Dr. Bombay

Dr. Bombay Member

I think it sounds pretty cool myself! I'm just hoping Pepe is involved in this somehow :rolleyes:

And considering that there will be a scene showing QT directing Kermit I hope that they have Piggy be really ticked that she was cast as the witch and not Dorothy.
  7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well, with VMC they didn't get any real 'hip' cameos...so at least they are making an effort by getting visceral indie film stalwart Tarantino on board.
    Personally, I think just to mix it up even more they should get Busta Rhymes, Marilyn Manson, and Eminem...I mean, they gotta add some sort of street cred to this thing.
  8. Rowlf's Roadie

Rowlf's Roadie New Member

1) Marilyn Manson and Eminem with the Muppets. You're kidding, right? Sorry, but Alice Cooper is as "out there" as the Muppets will get as long as I'm a fan.

2) I can't wait to see Miss Piggy's reaction to bursting into flames.

3) According to IMDb, Ashanti's in two films to be released this year. We'll see how she does there.
  9. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

What about Snoop Dogg or Charles Grodin? ;)
    I'm actually more offput by Mrs. Bush on Sesame Street than I am by any rock stars.
  10. McFraggle

McFraggle Active Member

Charles Grodin would be neat. Q.T. sounds fun as well. Ashanti as Dorothy, oh well. :rolleyes:
  11. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Well I mentioned Charles Grodin, as in the 80's he used to pop up as an interesting advasary for the Muppets.
  12. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

This is interesting news--it gives the first real sense of the direction they're going with this project. It's different than I expected, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it!
  13. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

WOW!!! very GREAT news! :) i just posted the news on my Disney Message Board :halo:
  14. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 New Member

I wish they got someone better than Ashanti...I'm not happy with the choice at all.
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, it had Snoop Dogg but too many mindless parental groups wrote nasty letters to take his bit off.... remember that debacle?

The rest of the Cameos were pretty much NBC commericals (Glad they didn't have anyone from Will and Grace... ugh). I did like Mathew Lillard though...

>>I wish they got someone better than Ashanti...I'm not happy with the choice at all.<<

Could be worse. Do the Words "Hillary" and "Duff " mean anything to you. I'm really thankful they didn't use her (or the Olsen Twins! :eek: )! Queen Latifa should be interresting too. She worked with the Muppets years ago, when she wasn't an actress, back on SS, so we have someone who has worked with them before.
  16. HappinessHotel

HappinessHotel New Member

Ashanti Luvr 4 Life

WOCKA2416 isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. (Sorry!) I don't know about the rest of you, but Ashanti has changed my life.

"See my days are cold without you
    But I'm hurting while I'm with you
    And though my heart can't take no more
    I keep on running back to you" :sing:

Have you ever heard anything more profound than that? She'll make a better Dorothy than Judy Garland.
  17. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 New Member

Well, I wouldn't want Hillary Duff either, but at least she has a big fan base. I just want the Muppets to have a big audience. But Ashanti still doesn't do much for me...I wish they got a good actress and worry about the singing later.
  18. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

You don't have to list every single character. We all know who's been missing, and the full list (with photos) can be found at www.kermitage.com It is a great website and fun to read all the bio's!
  19. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 New Member

It sounds like you like Ashanti a little too much.
  20. Horace D' Fly

Horace D' Fly New Member

Ashanti = Da Bomb

I disagree wocka...you can never EVER like Ashanti too much. She changed the way I listen to music!! She's going to be the best Dorothy EVER. Nuff said. :grouchy: