Article asks, "Why no Dark Crystal figures?"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this article. I have felt like it seemed as if I was griping about the new MindStyle sculptures. I like 'em, sure, but they aren't figures and I can't invest in steeply priced stuff like that and the MR Muppets too (they totally deserve their price-point).

I hope someday a company figures (no pun intended) it out and makes affordable, at least moderately poseable figures for the -original- DC film (not just the new one).

Thanks again for the article. Feels nice to know that I'm not the only one. :smile:

cabbageheat

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there will be new figurines at all from the DC. Though it was touted to some degree as a kids film in the 80's, and there was a toy line, from what I remember it didn't do too well. Why?

This movie scared the crap out of kids. So very few kids were anxious to run out and purchase the toys after seeing a skesis walk across the screen for the first time. DC seems to have a better fit with collectibles, busts and replicas (I'm still waiting for a skesis replica sword). a toy line probably isn't as lucrative for the Henson company, or any other one. However, it seems anything marked as a collectors item, or statue replica sells well. I think this is where DC shines the best. It is a very artistic film, and I personally feel, a toy line almost cheapens it.

Laszlo

Reaction score
and there was a toy line, from what I remember it didn't do too well.
No, there was no toy line!
There were only some small die cast figures, board games and such. But no toys/action figures.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Today action figures are very sophisticated and many of them are made for adults. So I believe high quality DC action figures would do very well.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
I would agree. however, they would need to be very high quality, almost museum like. I've noticed this as well, over the years, walking through the isles of Toys R Us, even here, many of the action figures and toys are geared towards adults and collectors, rather then actual play things. A little silly in some respects. Especially for kids who are shopping for toys to play with, not put on the shelf to collect dust.

I personally wouldn't invest in DC action figures. prop replicas, and statues I would. a museum quality crystal shard would be fantastic, Jen's flute, there is tons of potential here to tap into, but its 25 years late as well. However, I would pay good money to hang up in my movie room, a 1 to 1 scale replica of the Garthim Masters sword. That would rock.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Today action figures are very sophisticated and many of them are made for adults. So I believe high quality DC action figures would do very well.
I completely agree. The reason that some retailers might not see that there is an interest in actual action figures is that the only Dark Crystal product on their shelves doesn't move the way even a niche toy line should. It's not because people don't like the Dark Crystal. I believe it's the type of product. They keep releasing creepy gelfling dolls, pricey busts and costly limited edition plastic scultures, but no moderately affordable action figures.

I feel that many company artist and many fans would love to see an actual Dark Crystal figure license and that such an item would do well enough to justify its existence.

I don't (completely) subscribe to the philosopy that fans have to go broke buying up things that we don't want to ensure we get the things we do want later on. I'll wait longer, or maybe even kindly ask the Henson company.

cabbageheat

Reaction score
Yes. Part of the problem is the crap they have released this past year and subsequent years. The plush gelfling dolls and Goblin King looked atrocious. The DC has a lot of potential in license, its just finding the right outlet. And plush dolls. . . ain't it. Nor reproductions of David Bowie's tights. BIG no no.

I'd be interested in seeing what they could produce with action figures (considering the McFarlan line does really well, and his heavily detailed) however it would have to be at a level of detail and quality that matches the film and Brian Frouds drawings.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Actually, I kinda liked the Goblin King figures. Almost got one. Eventually will. Creepy tight pants don't scare me! Heck, I've seen worse in this city just riding the subway. And having a subway in San Francisco is probably creepier than tight pants in general! He he.

I digress. The Labyrinth figures will eventually include Hoggle and some goblins. That will make it all worth it. The Bowie likeness was good on the one i saw in the store. I wouldn't expect a Sarah figure (at least not one with the film likeness). Jennifer Connelly all but pretends that film never happened. Even on an interview about her career she glossed over it and change the subject. And she admits to doing Hulk and Dark Water...but I digress again. She did a great job in Labyrinth. Wish she thought so too.

The Bowie figure sold quickly. I think it's doing well. And whether fans like that particular figure or not it serves the idea of having Dark Crystal action figures in the future if the Labyrinth ones sell-through. Still, I am hoping they won't just make action figures for the new film when it is released in 09.

Laszlo

Reaction score
a museum quality crystal shard would be fantastic, Jen's flute, there is tons of potential here to tap into, but its 25 years late as well. However, I would pay good money to hang up in my movie room, a 1 to 1 scale replica of the Garthim Masters sword. That would rock.
Indeed. THAT WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUE FOR ME!
But I doubt it will ever happen.