Art of the Muppets -- last chance to buy!

Futeau

Reaction score
Hey all:

I have re-listed my Mint Box of Art of the Muppets books for the 3rd time on eBay. I have drastically reduced the reserve in an attempt to get it out of my house.

Won't you please bid today? If it does not sell it will be broken up and sold as individual copies. I would prefer not to do that.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1780351273

scarecroe

Reaction score
Wish I could afford that price. I'd get em and give em out as gifts... or use em as wallpaper :stick_out_tongue:

By the way, why the heck are there so many copies of this book floating around anyway? Andy's table at Muppetfest probably had about 40 copies of this going for wicked cheap each (which made them the only affordable thing at his table). Where there an overabundance of these printed numerous times or something?

Futeau

Reaction score
It's...

"Wish I could afford that price. I'd get em and give em out as gifts... or use em as wallpaper"

It's only a few dollars per book- maybe you could split the cost with someone.

"By the way, why the heck are there so many copies of this book floating around anyway? Andy's table at Muppetfest probably had about 40 copies of this going for wicked cheap each (which made them the only affordable thing at his table). Where there an overabundance of these printed numerous times or something?"

There was one printing, as far as I know. It's never been re-issued. I think a lot of people held on to them from 1980 and are only now interested in selling, what with the new interest in Muppets and all.

I've never seen one for sale for less than $10, and I've seen single copies in the $40-$50 range. Online rare booksellers sell them for hundreds of dollars, but that's just crazy.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Scott,

Wasnt they re issued at MuppetFest time ?
Im sure they was !

I had three at one time !

See ya

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think the book has had at least 2 publications...look on the inside of the title page, there should be a listing of numbers oging backwards. The highest number is the most recent edtion published.

FOZ

Luke

Reaction score
Yes it's been reissued a few times i think, even up until recently. This persons $79.99 reserve has been met now anyway.

Futeau

Reaction score
Re-issues

If anyone could help me out by providing information on re-issues of this book, I'd be grateful.

-Amazon lists it as OOP (Out of Print).
-Bantam Doubleday Dell (the original publisher) lists it as OOP.
-Alibris lists it as OOP & Rare.
-Barnes and Noble.com lists it as OOP.
-Bibliofind.com lists it as OOP.

I know JHC Publishing/Muppet Press never re-issued it. Besides, why would they re-issue a book in support of a traveling exhibition that was no longer running?

Amazon, Alibris, and B&N all list the 1980 edition only. I've never seen anything other than the 1980 edition offered on eBay.

So my questions are:

If it was re-issued, who printed it? In what year? Where was it sold? Did it include the items like the Sat. Night Live Muppets (Gorch) for which there are rights issues?

If this book was re-issued, why is it selling for such high prices on eBay and at Out-of-Print Booksellers (for damaged copies!)?

Why don't people just buy later editions? Do any of you have 2nd printings (or later)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, from this website's "Collectables" Page:

The Art of the Muppets (1980)
Published 1980 by Bantam Books with the Muppet Press. Prepared by the Staff of Henson Associates. Editorial Director: Michael K. Frith. Photos. Paperback, 44 pages.

In 1980, Henson launched a traveling museum exhibit called "The Art of the Muppets". This book is the exhibit companion. It follows highlights of Henson's career from Sam and Friends to Sesame Street, Saturday Night Live, Emmet Otter, the Muppet Show, and the Muppet Movie. The book is light on text but heavy on color photos, many of which have never been published in any other book. Another must have for the collection."

No mention of 2nd editions or reprints.

Luke

Reaction score
Actually checking back i can't find a second release either, but another Muppet art book was released last year so maybe thats what we are thinking of. There has definitely been an influx of 'Art Of The Muppets' though - you can sometimes pick up copies for $10. OOP booksellers always price things very high, and i guess the pubishers or warehouse may have had some past stock in storage and just got rid of them at the same time. How did you get a mint box ? That might explain it !

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is my opinion but I don't think that book has ever had a second edition. I remember buying mine in a bookstore in Dallas in 1980 for $5.95. After the "Art of the Muppets" tour ended and the Muppet Stuff store shut-down in New York. I've been told there were cases and cases of these books left-over. Some of these have been given out, but supposedly a lot of them were still left over.

Some of the left over stock went to the Museum of Television and Radio for their 1993 exhibit on Jim Henson. Up till recently they still reportedly had copies of this book available for it's original price of $5.95. It also sold on-line. Don't know if they still sell the book on-line or not. Maybe someone can confirm.

A case or two of the books were at MuppetFest which were on the Henson/Creation table. They didn't have many as they sold out very quickly. You can see the books in the bottom of this picture...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/muppetfest/gallery/mf_3.shtml