1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Arrrgh! What does "IP" mean?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Janice & Mokey's Man, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Okay, this is drivin' me batty---I'm sure the Count would like that, but it's gone too far now.

In the bottom right corner of each person's message there's a link that says, "Report this post to a moderator" (or somethin' like that if not exact). Then to the right it says: "IP: logged". Or somethin' else I guess if they're not logged.

What does it all mean??? I know it can't stand for "Intimate Portrait" cause this ain't the Lifetime channel, and I would assume it means some kinda status, but there's no "S"---what the heck is it?? :confused:
  2. Schala New Member

IP is the identifier for your computer. It's a number that is the address of your computer. I would assume that that's what the IP down there means too.
  3. scarecroe Active Member

Your IP address is your Internet Protocol address. It's the number assigned to your computer when you are connected to the internet or a local area network. It's how you are identified on any network so that when you make a request for something, such as a web page, the web server knows where to send it back to.

In the case of forums logging your IP, this is done for security purposes. Quite frankly, I think this is the best thing that could have happened to the MC forum. With Delphi, Phil was forced to make the forum private after all the trouble caused by certain individuals who tried to rain on our parade (I'm sure you remember those people). A new member could only then join after they applied and got permission. IP logging allows for the forum to stay open to anyone and if someone causes a problem and persists at it, their IP can be blocked which is more efficient than kicking someone by their username only to have that person just come back again with another one.

Does that answer your question?
  4. Wembley Member

An "IP address" is the number of your particular computer on the Internet, just like your telephone number. For example, muppetcentral.com's IP address is 209.151.91.85. You can see this for yourself by typing into your web browser's bar http://209.151.91.85 and you will get MC's homepage! Just like your telephone, your computer "dials" up to the proper address and collects the information from the server. In fact, if you were to run a server program, you could even allow people to get information from your computer by giving them your IP address. (To find out your IP address on Windows-based computers, click START then RUN and type in WINIPCFG while you are connected to the Internet.)

Now, just like the phone on my wall, the MC computer has a sort of "Caller ID" of people who connect to it. This allows Phil to track people who may cause trouble here at MC and lock them out or complain to the offender's ISP.

Granted, it's a very simple expalanation, but if you want more information, let me know! :)

-Rick
    (And yes, I am a geek...)
  5. :eek:

Dang...i--it sure does!

*overwhelmed with technical info*

Lol :D

I mean, when I started to read your post I was like, "Whoooa, duuude...", but then once I got past all the stuff that my li'l computer-knowledge-deprived brain didn't understand, then yeah, I got it in your Lamen's terms! Lol! Thanks for helpin' me out! :)

*will track down Scott for any further computer questions*

(Oh yeah, and I emailed you, like, Monday, but I saw on TP that your'e havin' email problems...just thought I'd let ya know in case you haven't gotten it yet)
  6. Hey! Are you sayin' I'm simple?! :mad:

J/k! lol

:D

Well, I have been to known to have my Joey Tribbiani and Rose Nylund moments... :o

Anyway, thanks for your answer too, and your invite for any further questions. :)

LOL! Well maybe you think you are, but I'm glad you can "talk down" enough to me to get me to understand! lol!

Scott and Rick rule! :D

*will also track Rick down for any other computer questions*
  7. Luke Active Member

Trouble is though - most ISP's assign you a new IP every time you log on nowdays so it can only temporarily stop trouble makers - otherwise you'd end up banning everyone from that provider.
  8. scarecroe Active Member

True, but most DHCP servers are normally on a monthly cycle. Besides, if Phil were to check up IPs being logged by newer users and see that a new IP was coming out of the same block of addresses that a banned one did, then he can keep a close eye on that user. It's better than the Delphi way.
  9. towels New Member

Can't that be said about almost anything though?
    :cool:
  10. Electric Mayhem New Member

"IP' is what I do after I've had too much to drink. :cool:
  11. BlueFrackle Active Member

Travis,

LOL !
  12. LOLOL!!
  13. Wembley Member

Also too, it would be possible to block people out based on an entire range of IP addresses... For example, my DSL provider (verizon) owns a set of IP addresses for use in my area (something like man.nh.verizon.net or whatever, I can't really remember right now), and every time I turn on my computer (well, actually, every time I reboot my router) I get a new address (something like 64.00.00.00.man-nh.verizon.net) and it would be possible to block out everyone in man-nh.verizon.net, myself included. Of course, that would be a drastic move though...

-Rick Miller
    ..."As a matter of fact, I AM a rocket scientist!"
  14. AndyL New Member

On of the IP log's most important features is the ability to quickly tell the difference between a sudden influx of newbies or a single person just trying to frustrate people.

I help moderate a forum for a fansite about a particular computer game and I know that whenever I see a post that strikes me as unusual I hit phpbb's IP-Log button, and if I see the guy's got six different accounts, we don't have to try to figure out what's going on, we just nip the problem in the bud. Saves a lot of bother.

I've seen one forum that called it's IP logging feature the "Stealth Mode Idiot Catcher" which I think sums it up nicely.