Arms length puppets

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
That is one incredibly cool looking puppet Trent!:excited: I can't wait to see the rest of him. a few questions: Why do so many people use ostrich feathers for puppet hair?
Ostrich feathers are usually used because, well, they just look cool. They can also be dyed to any colour and are much lighter and thinner than most other types of feathers. You don't have to use them - I've used Emu feathers a lot - but they're pretty neat.

Puppet_Builder said:
what kind of material is Ardy's skin made of? it doesn't look like fleese which is what I would have expected... How do so many of you hide or remove the visible seams? do you have to pick out the material that gets sewn down or something? seems complex!
The real trick is using antron fleece, which is what Ardy's skin appears to be made of. When it's stitched properly, seams on antron fleece are nearly invisible. There are a few old threads here in the forum devoted to this subject.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Ostrich feathers are usually used because, well, they just look cool. They can also be dyed to any colour and are much lighter and thinner than most other types of feathers. You don't have to use them - I've used Emu feathers a lot - but they're pretty neat.

The real trick is using antron fleece, which is what Ardy's skin appears to be made of. When it's stitched properly, seams on antron fleece are nearly invisible. There are a few old threads here in the forum devoted to this subject.
Thanks Buck!

Iron-Fan

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
oh I found that the Pick-me place Iron fan was talking about does have Dave's Kits and videos. http://www.pick-me.com/puppets/pup5.htm they mentioned something about there being a series of videos. Is there more than one video when you order or what did they mean by that I wonder?
now I'm not being stupid here am I, but what is the point of showing 5 glorious pages of wonderful puppets that you cant order anymore! I'ts like "WOW! thats cool ...I'm gonna buy tha...oh, you cant" update your website pick-me!!!
I hadnt seen the black guy character in the custom section, ..wonder if he was offered as a custom kit before?
Also Puppet builder, how did you get to that link? I cant seem to get to those pages from the pick-me menu, and it looks like they are part of a different site or older part of the site?
You get 2 vids with the custom orders though perhaps you guys who already have them can tell us what exactly is on each tape?? Can you tell that I am still waiting for mine to arrive...... :grouchy:

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Iron-Fan said:
now I'm not being stupid here am I, but what is the point of showing 5 glorious pages of wonderful puppets that you cant order anymore! I'ts like "WOW! thats cool ...I'm gonna buy tha...oh, you cant" update your website pick-me!!!
I hadnt seen the black guy character in the custom section, ..wonder if he was offered as a custom kit before?
Also Puppet builder, how did you get to that link? I cant seem to get to those pages from the pick-me menu, and it looks like they are part of a different site or older part of the site?
You get 2 vids with the custom orders though perhaps you guys who already have them can tell us what exactly is on each tape?? Can you tell that I am still waiting for mine to arrive...... :grouchy:
I put Dave's name in MSN search engine and it was on the first page of results. Not sure but I think you can order the black guy now through them at least.

Iron-Fan

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
I put Dave's name in MSN search engine and it was on the first page of results. Not sure but I think you can order the black guy now through them at least.
Through who? Arms Length or Pick-me? Pick-me dont seem to be selling much of anything at the moment and the black guy is not on the Armslength site...
Just out of interest, anyone ever been able to attend one of David Pannabeckers workshops? What was it like?

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Iron-Fan said:
Through who? Arms Length or Pick-me? Pick-me dont seem to be selling much of anything at the moment and the black guy is not on the Armslength site...
Just out of interest, anyone ever been able to attend one of David Pannabeckers workshops? What was it like?
I typed in David Pannabecker's name in MSN and got a serch page with "pick-me.com on it. It sparked my interest because of following this thread and so I checked it out and found 5 puppet kits instead of the four you have seen in the past on his site. http://www.pick-me.com/puppets/pup5.htm

Iron-Fan

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
I typed in David Pannabecker's name in MSN and got a serch page with "pick-me.com on it. It sparked my interest because of following this thread and so I checked it out and found 5 puppet kits instead of the four you have seen in the past on his site. http://www.pick-me.com/puppets/pup5.htm
Yeah, I checked the site , but for a second I thought you had found some untapped armslength puppet source or something...such a pity that he/they dont offer these puppets for sale anymore...they look so much better than 90% of the pre-made stuff out there on the net...

video567

Reaction score
hi all . i just found out arms length is no longuer doing the puppets .. so whats next who is as good as them? I had a chance to see a video of their puppet making and i want a kit. since they are not available.. where do I go now? the patterns are not available so i dont know what to do. if anyone can offer advice i would appreciate it

Iron-Fan

Reaction score
video567 said:
hi all . i just found out arms length is no longuer doing the puppets .. so whats next who is as good as them? I had a chance to see a video of their puppet making and i want a kit. since they are not available.. where do I go now? the patterns are not available so i dont know what to do. if anyone can offer advice i would appreciate it
Hi Vid567, A a lot of folks on here just got their orders from Armslength arrive so as far as we all know Armslength custom kits are still available but none of their pre-made puppet range is available to buy anymore...A Few guys on here know David so I'm sure they would have said if he hed decided to shut up shop entirely....There are lots of great sites out there to make you custom puppets or are you after a kit specificaly or stuff to learn with?

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Iron-Fan said:
Hi Vid567, A a lot of folks on here just got their orders from Armslength arrive so as far as we all know Armslength custom kits are still available but none of their pre-made puppet range is available to buy anymore...A Few guys on here know David so I'm sure they would have said if he hed decided to shut up shop entirely....There are lots of great sites out there to make you custom puppets or are you after a kit specificaly or stuff to learn with?
*shakily laughs* I just ordered my kit and videos so I don't think he's stopped production altogether. The premade puppets haven't been for sale for a while now.