are we doomed?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I just got this email:

My dear buddies: listen, cringe, and then do something about it.

On June 2, the Federal Communications Commission is planning on authorizing sweeping changes to the American news media. The rules change could allow your local TV stations, newspaper, radio stations, and cable provider to all be owned by one company. NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox could have the same corporate parent. The resulting concentration of ownership could be deeply destructive to our democracy.

Congress is supposed to guard against monopoly power. But the upcoming rule change could change the landscape for all media and usher in an era in which a few corporations control your access to news and entertainment. Please join me in asking Congress and the FCC to support a diverse, competitive media landscape by going to:

http://www.moveon.org/stopthefcc/

When the folks at MoveOn.org talk to Congresspeople about this issue, the response is usually the same: "We only hear from media lobbyists on this. It seems like my constituents aren't very concerned with this issue." A few thousand emails could permanently change that perception! Please join this critical campaign, and let Congress know you care.

Thanks and love,
Andre Duurvoort

I wonder: does this mean our tape trading days will be over? What does this necessarily mean? He makes this situation sound devastating, but I'm not really sure how devastating it is. I don't watch TV ALL the time, and when I do, it's mostly to play a video or DVD.

anathema

Reaction score
The email is partially inaccurate. See here for a more level-headed analysis :smile:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/pending/fcc.asp

If you plan on making your voice heard, you should also bear in mind that email petitions have absolutely NO EFFECT. They are trivial to forge, and hence get routed straight to the trashcan on arrival. A much better approach is to put pen to paper and write to your elected representative, or to arrange to sign a physical petition.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
If you plan on making your voice heard, you should also bear in mind that email petitions have absolutely NO EFFECT. They are trivial to forge, and hence get routed straight to the trashcan on arrival.
Does this mean Warrick's petition is useless?

Now I get it. I hate the words "media control what we see". But now I realize this change only involves the control over where we get our news, not what we watch on video or DVD. And that Snopes page is always reassuring. Thanks Alex. :smile:

tomahawk

Reaction score
Originally posted by Boober_Gorg
Does this mean Warrick's petition is useless?

Now I get it. I hate the words "media control what we see". But now I realize this change only involves the control over where we get our news, not what we watch on video or DVD. And that Snopes page is always reassuring. Thanks Alex. :smile:
ONLY controls where we get our news? Scary, scary stuff. But, probably the best way to keep us all un-informed and keep the Bush administration in business. By the way, are we all feeling safer yet?:concern:

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Tomahawk, don't you think it's the time to give it a rest with the USA bashing? The war is over and the good guys won. What more can you want:rolleyes:

At least there is cheese in my nachos:big_grin:

ALLL-American cheese!!!!:attitude:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Let's not have this discussion become another war debate. There is already a thread for that discussion HERE. This is about the FCC. Please keep on topic. Thanks.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Thanks, Jamie. I hate seein' political threads, and it's nice to enforce keepin' 'em separate.

I want muh Muppet fun!! :big_grin:

tomahawk

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mark Filton
Tomahawk, don't you think it's the time to give it a rest with the USA bashing? The war is over and the good guys won. What more can you want:rolleyes:

At least there is cheese in my nachos:big_grin:

ALLL-American cheese!!!!:attitude:
Exactly.............All American Cheese.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Tomahawk if you are saying that my spelling is wrong, who cares? Is this a fun forum or the new york times?

The airwaves are free in America and you can vote Bush out if you want:rolleyes:

Liberals are always wanting decriminalization of drugs, too. That is why they never win elections because they are too much into the drug scene to get outside and vote :big_grin:

All American cheese

There I spelled it right what do you want now:confused: