Are the Muppets as popular as they were 30 to 40 years ago?

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Regarding the Disney+ service...

The only Muppet things I expect to see on it are the 6 Disney owned theatrical films and the new Muppet Babies.

That’s it.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
It became more about posturing and less about artists singing about things they actually care about, and now every chorus is just "wah oh wah oh wah, whoa ah oh ah oh ah oh".
Yep. Also known as the "Millennium Whoop."

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
D'Snowth is right. I think music went downhill once pop stars like Britney Spears and Hilary Duff and boy bands started coming onto the mainstream, because all they really had to do was rely on an eccentric Swedish songwriter to help write most of their material. I'm not saying all today's music is bad, but I think we've reached a point where much of mainstream pop and rock music has become very prosaic, it just doesn't seem too original, catchy, or even most importantly, distinctive. That was one of the good things about music that came out of the 60s and 70s; it was a lot more distinctive and experimental. Today, especially with rock and metal, it seems like EVERY lead singer has an Eddie Vedder-esque voice.

DMHFan

Reaction score
D'Snowth is right. I think music went downhill once pop stars like Britney Spears and Hilary Duff and boy bands started coming onto the mainstream, because all they really had to do was rely on an eccentric Swedish songwriter to help write most of their material. I'm not saying all today's music is bad, but I think we've reached a point where much of mainstream pop and rock music has become very prosaic, it just doesn't seem too original, catchy, or even most importantly, distinctive. That was one of the good things about music that came out of the 60s and 70s; it was a lot more distinctive and experimental. Today, especially with rock and metal, it seems like EVERY lead singer has an Eddie Vedder-esque voice.
I kinda agree. Certain rap songs today seem to have profanity.

Last edited:

DMHFan

Reaction score
Regarding the Disney+ service...

The only Muppet things I expect to see on it are the 6 Disney owned theatrical films and the new Muppet Babies.

That’s it.
We can't forget TMS, MT, TM2015, and that new Muppets series! I mean, the 3rd mentioned show was produced for ABC, a Disney owned network, and the 4th mentioned one was gonna be in production at some point.

TMS=The Muppet Show
MT=Muppets Tonight
TM2015=The Muppets (2015)

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
The Muppet Show maybe, but considering that Disney has not released the final sets for that, I don't know if they will give those three series the time of day.

DMHFan

Reaction score
The Muppet Show maybe, but considering that Disney has not released the final sets for that, I don't know if they will give those three series the time of day.
They'll possibly give all of those shows the time of day, but seasons 1, 4, and 5 of TMS will have to be edited if the rights are just expensive, and episodes in the last two seasons featuring guests who passed away may have to be skipped if the estates refuse to give Disney permission.

Last edited:

MWoO

Reaction score
We can't forget...that new Muppets series...was gonna be in production at some point.
There was never an official announcement of which I am aware. The rumor stems from an article that said there will probably be a new Muppet series on the new service. As far as I know there is no actual news of a show being or ever being produced.

Darth is probably right. The new Muppet Babies will certainly be on there as well as the movies Disney owns the DVD rights to. They probably want to shy away from the last TV show. My hope is that they just throw everything up there though.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I'm nostalgic about Baby One More Time. :embarrassed: