Are the Muppets as popular as they were 30 to 40 years ago?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score

Some Sesame Street skits didn't really have much educational value. Here, for example, is one of my personal favorites, a cartoon about the letter V. Two guys talking to eachother on top of a giant V.

What do we learn from this skit?
  • "If you hold your fingers like this, you can make a V with your hand!"
  • "Not too many words begin with this letter."
  • "Don't do that, it could damage your hearing!"

Besides that it's a lot of gloriously cheap jokes. "Can you think of 10 words that begin with the letter V?" He can, but you never hear them. A bit nonsensical, but that's what makes it all the better.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Guys don't put any more SS stuff. This is only about Disney's Muppets. Not Sesame Street. Yeah don't worry I'm not mad or angry. I'm fine with who ever wants to like what of what Jim brought to the small screen or the big one. Understand?

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
I would say they have fluctuated in popularity. After Jim passed away, the cast and the studio was sort of in a slump the same way Disney experienced after Walt died. (They went through a "What would Jim do?" kind of phase.) And it actually sort of started when Jim was still alive; in 1986, Labyrinth was released to lukewarm reviews and was a box office disappointment. Although it has since received a cult following a decade or so afterward, Jim at the time felt so distraught about the film's modest success that he kind of created a lull for himself. His latest project, The Jim Henson Hour, only lasted for nine aired episodes. For the most part, what took place between the end of Fraggle Rock in 1987 and his death in 1990 was mostly either Sesame Street or trying to negotiate agreements with Disney over his assets. But I would argue he was never the same after Labyrinth bombed at the box office.

The 1990s was sort of a mixed bag. They have released some good series out there like Bear in the Big Blue House and the short-lived Dinosaurs, and their "90s trilogy" of movies was good (Muppet Treasure Island is arguably their best from that era), while at the same time they tried rebooting The Muppet Show with Muppets Tonight which could never match to the original's standards, not to mention Frank Oz's eventual outing of the Muppets all together by the end of the decade.

I would consider the 2000s a "Dark Age" for the Muppets. Most of their film output was not as memorable as the 80s or the 90s trilogies (I've actually only seen one movie from that era), and Jerry Nelson would soon leave full-time due to health problems, losing another person that has been involved with the Muppets since the 1960s. However, they did make some contributions to the popular PBS series Between the Lions, which I liked. But overall, I think they lost their spark by the turn of the 21st century.

Now their 2010s output was kind of an improvement from the previous decade. 2011's The Muppets made an effort to introduce the Muppets to a new generation. Jason Segel was a big real-life Muppet fan and wanted the Muppets to see a renaissance in popularity. And I thought that movie was pretty good in doing that. It also left behind some pretty emotional moments in there, especially with Kermit's "Pictures in My Head" and the standing ovation scene right at the end of the movie. Muppets Most Wanted was also not very bad, even though it made me question the Muppet's competence even more that only a FEW Muppets smelled a rat with Constantine until the end of the movie! (But it may have been just a running gag, which the Muppets were known for). They have had some mishaps, such as the 2015 Muppets, which did not do as well as the film installments and only lasted one season, and not to mention Steve Whitmire's recent unceremonious departure, but I would say the Muppets have successfully ushered in a new generation of fans, thanks to the recent Disney films and the internet. I don't know what their future is going to be, but I hope they will continue to grow fans of both young and old for years to come.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
The 2000's were perhaps the "Dark Age" lol, with the best thing coming out that decade maybe being the Palisades Toys :smile:... like honestly, there was a time where you could go into a mainstream toy store and buy an unbelievably detailed Lew Zealand figure for under 10 bucks.

Even though we're still in them, I wonder if the 2010's will be considered the last ditch effort; at least they tried, though I feel like they totally misunderstood the characters in the TV series.

Whether good or bad, they live on in memes.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
The nineties was actually pretty ok if you think about it
Arguably the best kids shown of all time began in bear in the big blue house
2 great films and a good but not muppet standard Muppets from space
A TV show that was not liked by the public but I liked
And a Disney park attraction

I think it was OK

jobi71

Reaction score
Are they as popular as they were in their hey day? Short answer no. They were a world wide phenomenon. Are they still very popular? In my opinion yes. There are three groups of popularity. Fans like us who always have and always will love them. As someone at the beginning of the thread mentioned their young nieces were discovering the Muppets and loved them, so there is a new audience out there. And the casual fans who may not seek out new Muppet material, but get very excited/nostalgic by a commercial, talk show appearance or video that has them. So, I think great affection is still there, but just not to the same level.

DMHFan

Reaction score
I see. Have we gathered all the info to answer this question or we haven't?

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I really think that the Muppets really aren't as popular. There was a period when the 2011 movie came out when they were mainstream again, but now I think mostly hardcore fans pay attention to them now.

Hopefully, when and if the supposed Disney streaming show gets off the ground they'll be in more of the limelight.

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
Eh. Disney is going to throw so much crap onto their streaming service that the Muppets are going to be lost in the shuffle.