Are Dinosaurs considered Muppets?

beaker

Reaction score
I put this in Classic Muppets thread, as 1) it wont get a reply under muppet worlds(noone goes there) and 2) There is no general Muppet discussion.

Ive been wondering since the early 90's, if Dinosaurs are considered
Muppets(or muppet extentions like Fraggle, Hoobs, Bear, etc)
or more JH Creature Shop/Fantasy like Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, or Farscape?

Phil has them under Muppet Worlds in the collectibles.
Just wondering your guy's opinions, like an informal poll^^

jediX

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider them to be "Muppets" becuase they never "interacted" with the classic Muppets (like the Muppet Family Xmas), nor are they of the same colorful style the classics/Sesames/Fraggles have. I consider them to be more of a Creature Shop type thing. I doubt they were included in the Disney deal even though I ::think:: that show used to be rerun on Disney Channel.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
jediX said:
I wouldn't consider them to be "Muppets" becuase they never "interacted" with the classic Muppets (like the Muppet Family Xmas), nor are they of the same colorful style the classics/Sesames/Fraggles have. I consider them to be more of a Creature Shop type thing. I doubt they were included in the Disney deal even though I ::think:: that show used to be rerun on Disney Channel.
I'm not sure, but I think that "Dinosaurs" was originally a co-production with Disney, so Disney may already own them (at least in part).

beaker

Reaction score
jediX said:
I think Disney actually owns the rights to it(least the disney brand is all over the merch and packaging)

I never considered them to be Muppets(least not in the sense Im used to...then again new muppets from JHH werent very classic Muppetish) but then in aother thread I saw people did in fact consider em muppets...and Phil himself has indicated they are within the Muppet world. Like you, I always considered em more Creature Shop.

I wonder if any characters even obscure, have interacted or been seen on any other thing, given JHC likes to reuse stuff(maybe mopatop?)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I don't know. I always thought Dinosaurs were sort of considered Muppets, since they were from Henson productions. Otherwise, we wouldn't be allowed to talk about them here. Lol.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To me, Dinosaurs go in the "Muppet Worlds" category. Kind of like Faffner Hall, Bear, Mopatop, Hoobs etc. That is the way the collectibles section is divided up as well since Dinosaurs stuff is included under "Muppet Worlds" there.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I stopped liking this series a looooooong time ago. But I wouldn't consider them Muppets persay.
Technically, they could be considered as "Muppets" if they were made in and by the JHC Creature Shop to function as even a high-tech version of both a marionette and a puppet at the same time, since that's the definition of what a Muppet is and where the word came from.
But I consider them to be on a par with the more outlandish stuff like Dark Crystal, Farscape, The Witches and Labyrinth. Yeah, they could be considered in a Henson productions catalogue, but I wouldn't and won't include them with my overall Muppet Universe Listings.
Hope this helps and have a good day.

P

Philo and Gunge

Well, I am not sure if this counts but Gunge was on "Dinosaurs".

Whataday

Reaction score
I've always taken the view that the only Muppets are the 'Classic Muppets' and the Sesame Street characters.

All the others are Jim Henson's "Creatures".

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Whataday said:
I've always taken the view that the only Muppets are the 'Classic Muppets' and the Sesame Street characters.

All the others are Jim Henson's "Creatures".
What about the Fraggles? They are, after all, part of "Muppet Family Christmas"...