1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Archaia to Reprint Marvel Fraggle Comics

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Drtooth, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I found this out through Deviant Art first, but here's Tough Pigs' official announcement

While I can't say the Marvel published Fraggle Rock comics are the greatest thing in the world, this is still great news to collectors, especially since they're digitally recoloring and remastering the artwork. Hopefully that means the art doesn't look so muddled and jumbled from the little inkdots, smudges, smears and bleedtrough of the original 1980's newsprint and greasy ink.

I'd buy it!
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

3. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested in seeing what the remastered pages look like.
  4. Bannanasketch Active Member

Well, I just happened to get a gift card on Christmas for my local comic book store. I just might buy this. ;)
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, the comic book preview pictures on the site are a little fuzzy... but so far, they look pretty good. Obviously digital colored. But looking at all the comics from that era I have, especially the Muppet Baby ones, remastering them on good paper can only improve the original artwork. Too many times the paper turns waxy and yellow, there's very obvious ink bleeds, the red ink mutates and bleeds if it didn't already...

Marie Severine did an amazing job with the art on this series and Muppet Babies, and it's all smudged and fuzzy looking in the original printings. While I can't say the Marvel version of Fraggle Rock was the greatest thing in the world (especially compared to Archaia's wonderful series), I still want to have it in my collection. Especially since I only have one issue in my possession.
  6. Slackbot Well-Known Member

I have all of the FR comics, and... I agree that Severin did a great job with Muppet Babies. Her FR art isn't bad by any means, but it doesn't live up to MB, and sometimes Wembley looks really weird. It doesn't help that most of the comics were just rehashes of TV episodes, so she probably didn't have as free a hand in illustrating those.

I'd love to see a Fraggle Rock comic illustrated in a Walt Kelly-esque style.
  7. bazooka_beak Active Member

I was wondering why it kept showing "to be released" on the Amazon page when it was due out in September. Then suddenly it simply wasn't available at all and people wanted $90 for a copy!
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't find it today either. Did anyone else see it?
  9. Slackbot Well-Known Member

I just called Oxford Comics, and the owner said that there was a problem with a misprint, and they were now looking at a ship date of 1/18/2012.
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

JEEEZ! Another delay? Well, at least there's a reason and it's only a few weeks.
  11. Farron Member

12. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I betchya it has something to do with Diamond distributors or something.
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

And guess what I didn't find today the 18th.

On the plus side, I found a Resaurus Speed Racer Inspector Detector figure for 2 bucks while I was there. Now the Pops I got last summer won't be lonely.
  14. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I managed to find it Saturday. Lucky I had that gift certificate with me... but out of the three comic stores I tried, only one had it, and it was the last copy, and it was ironically the first one I tried.

My only complaint is the faux dust jacket cover makes it a little awkward to hold the book when reading.
  15. Slackbot Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that about the dust jacket too.

The coloring is an improvement on the original cheapo printing, but... well, it's cute, and it makes me glad for the more recent ones from Archaia. I have to wonder about some of the coloring errors. Mokey has dark purple fur? Pa Gorg has a white mustache?

Oh, and the picture of Wembley sticking out his tongue and looking perplexed is too dern cute. I flipped through almost the whole book before I found that it came from the beginning of the comic version of "Believe it or Not," when Wembley is saying "Taste it?" while conversing with Red.
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have yet to read through the whole thing... I only read the #1 story... the coloring is alright, I guess. Some cases it's a little muted and muddy, and it makes me wonder if they were just taking the existing colors from the original source. That's probably the source of errors if it was.

Of course, it's hard to have a fair comparison of 1980's printing techniques vs the digital paint artwork from the Archaia's more current line. Things were MUCH harder when you had impossible to correct inks and paints, and the limited color pallet. And these things look even worse for wear if you have the original issues with reds bleeding through the pages and dusty, waxy pages fading. Some comics I have are almost impossible to read because of that.

Once I get through the volume, I'll post a review on the mindset... it's four stories, thankfully... I've had the Sonic Legacy volume 1 for over a month now, and I still haven't finished it all. It's like a phonebook of the 20 first issues (including the limited series). No color, though... but pretty nice and affordable for what it is.
  17. Tom Fraggle Active Member

Hope nobody minds I'm in the process of resurrecting some older posts, being new here, I would like to reply to some of these older forums. (As time permits)

I've got all the original FR comics from the 80s and enjoy them. Is this worth going out and buying this reprint, just printed in better quality?
  18. A big thanks to the people who picked up the fraggle rock Classic Reprint! I think it's a nice little collection, and I'm hoping that even though the panels are more dense then usual these days, that the kids will still like reading the stories!
  19. Slackbot Well-Known Member

I hope that they have a second volume, as they only reprinted four of the (I think) eight comics.

And more of their other Fraggle Rock comics would not be unwelcome, either!
  20. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Tell you the truth? The best part of these Marvel reprints are your amazing covers. :D