April Fools: 2008 and 2009 Sesame boxed sets

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just reunited with a buddy of mine who has been an intern at Genius Products. I hadn't seen him in years, but he just told me what he did, and informed me that this and next year will be "the years of the Sesame Street boxed sets".

He told me that the following are planned for both this year and next year:
  • Sesame Street: Old School Volume 3: Five episodes from 1979-1984, plus 56 bonus segments, the second test pilot, and some easter eggs. However, not all of the epsidoes wil be season premieres. Since seasons 11 and 14 began with multi-part storylines, those seasons will be represented with different episodes. However, I was told that Sesame Workshop hopes to get ALL of the season premieres released on DVD in some way within the next six years, and those will be included as parts of differnet boxed sets. However, in their palces, this set wil include Telly's debut episode, and a 1982 episode in which the cast celebrates Sherlock Hemlock's birthday. I've been told that this epsidoe should make fans happy, as the street story features almost every main character from that season, with the main exceptions of characters performed by Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Fran Brill, and most of Jerry Nelson's characters, but many of those characters do appear in inserts in that episode. I'm told that this epsiode will include such rarities as a certain first season film about the number 1 and a certain song about a hole in the bucket. Unfortunately, this episode will be edited: a scene where the cast sings Happy Birthday is cut, and the episode originally featured the sketch where Ernie sings Happy Birthday to U (this sketch will be repalced with the sketch where Leftry tried to sell Ernie a U). But Sesame Workshop has secured the msuic rights to two song covers that were included in the epsidoe: Yellow Submarine and Help! Bonus segmnets will include Professor Grover's Bath Time Tips, If I Were, Snuffy Cloud Song (which I assume is If I Were a Cloud in the Sky), and Mystery Guest. Sesame Workshop plans on the Old School sets to end at 1984, but does plan on releasing a fourth volume, with epsidoes form a variety of seasons, but also hopes to release full episodes from 1984-2002 really soon.
  • Hawian Trip: All six hawian epispdes, plus a featurette on the makiing of these epsidoes, featuring interviews with Buffy St. Marie Wolfchild, Alania Reed Hall, Roscoe Orman, Jery Nelson, Caroll Spinney, and Sonia Manzano. This will be the first of a number of multi-part epsidoe boxed sets. There won't be any bonus clips, except mayeb as hidden easter eggs...
  • The Complete Elmo's World Vol. 1: The first ina collection of two-disc Elmo's World sets featuring segments in chronological order. The first ten segmnets will be on this set.
  • The Complete Monsterpeice Theater: A four-disc boxed set featuring every Monsterpiece Theater segment, in production order. Special features will include alternate versions of the earleist segments, two unaired segments, three unproduced Monsterpeice Theater scripts, and the segment Monster Movie Classics. There wil also be a booklet, with taping dates, original airdates, and the episodes that they were included in. I think I am most excited about this one.
  • Around the Corner Collection Volume 1: The first in a number of three-disc sets featuring epsidoes from 1993-1998, focusing on "around the corner" areas. Six epsidoes will be included, including the first appearance of this area, epsiode 3136. Included as a bonus feature wil be the special Sesame Street's All-Star 25th Birthday: Stars and Street's Forever.
  • TV Episode Fun Pack Volume 3: Three episodes from season 38.

In addition, Sesame Workshop plans to release 15 episodes from the first ten seasons on iTunes this summer. Four more double-features will be released this fall: A Magical Halloween Adventure/ Elmo Says Boo! Getting Ready to Read/ We All Sing Together, Sesame Street Home Video Visits the Firehouse/ Sesame Street Home Video Visits the Hospital, and Learning to Add and Subtract/ Sing-Along Earth Songs.

And there'll also be two new Play with me Sesame DVDs this sumer: Playtime with Ernie and Playtime with Bert. Unlike previous releases, these won't have bonus CD-Roms. Instead, they will have bonus discs with 45 minutes of video content. The Ernie release will include 15 bonus Ernie skits and a variety of number segments. The Bert one will include 15 Bert segments and a variety of number segments.

And finally, Genius Product will start releasing it's Sesame Street titles (except for the boxed sets ) on Blu-Ray Disc this august. Big Bird in China and Big Bird in Japan will be rereleased on DVD by Genius for the Blu-Ray format.

April Fools (sorry about doing two simialr April Fols threads in one day)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Oh, drats. Iw as going to say that Genius also planned on releasing a third volume of The Electric Company (with Out to Lunch as a bonus feature), and a four-disc Square One Television box set, featuring 20 epsidoes (a whole week of episodes on each disc, so that the Mathnet cliffhangers could be compelte). Drats, drats, drats...

anytimepally

Reaction score
Oh, drats. Iw as going to say that Genius also planned on releasing a third volume of The Electric Company (with Out to Lunch as a bonus feature), and a four-disc Square One Television box set, featuring 20 epsidoes (a whole week of episodes on each disc, so that the Mathnet cliffhangers could be compelte). Drats, drats, drats...
next year? :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
I was reading this and getting all tingly. Then halfway through I realized it is probably an April Fools joke.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It ended yesterday, but that doens't mean that he didn't see it and not post until today.

That Sesame Street episode that I made up, I think I might have to make a fna fiction showing what happens in the street plot and what segments are included.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder how realistic a "Complete Monsterpeice Theater" set would be. I guess more likely than a compelte "Sesame Street News" release. And if there was such a release, I wodner if Sesame Workshop would allow both versiosn fo the skits that had Alistar Cookie's scenes retaped. And I wonder if Sesame Workshop would put them all in one set or make multiple volumes (which would be useful if Sesame Workshop decided to suddenly produce more Monsterpeice Theater segments in later seasons).