Appearances by Gaffer

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Let's list all appearances by Gaffer.

TMS episodes:
Lynda Carter: Appears backstage in u.k. spot and in the goodnights.
Senor Wenchs: I think gaffer appears backstage in this episode.
Paul Simon: Appears in one backstage scene.
Wally Boag: Appears during Foo Foo's act.
Mellissa Manchester: I think Gaffer appears in at least one backstage scene.
Linda Ronstadt: Appears in first backstage scene and during the song The Cat Came Back.
Roger Moore: Appears in a backstage scene.

Gaffer also appeared in The Great Muppet Caper and I think in The Muppet Revue.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another appearance

Gaffer also appeared backstage in the Carol Burnett episode.

Saironi

Reaction score
I forget, did they say " 'He' didn't wanna roam or 'she' didn't wanna roam in the song "The Cat Came Back"? because Gaffer's a queen isn't she? (a queen is what you call a female cat).

I think in one of the goodnights she tried to bite Rizzo from behind and she was seen in The Muppets go to the Movies while Janice and Floyd sing backstage, pulling Rizzo to her by his tail.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Saironi said:
I forget, did they say " 'He' didn't wanna roam or 'she' didn't wanna roam in the song "The Cat Came Back"? because Gaffer's a queen isn't she? (a queen is what you call a female cat).
I think the line was "she didn't wanna roam", although in the Wally Boag episode, when gaffer interrupts Foo Foo's act, Rowlf says "Go get him!" Maybe there's no real answer as to whether Gaffer is male or female (by the way, is Foo Foo a man or woman). Gaffer does look a little bit girlish, though. You could say that gaffer is a girl because she was performed by Kathy Mullen, but then again many female Muppets are performed by men.

I wonder why gaffer wasn't used more. Gaffer could have sat on the ledge of one of the top floors in The Great Muppet Caper (or sat in a window ledge), Gaffer could have been at the wedding in The Muppets Take Manhattan (Was she? I don't think she was, but it is hard to tell who all is there), Gaffer should have been the cat who chased Rizzo in The Muppet Christmas Carol, Gaffer could have roamed around the Hispaniola in Muppet treasure island, and gaffer could have sat on a step in A Muppet Family Christmas or Muppets From Space.

Gaffer also should have been backstage in It's a Verry Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (or she could have been one of Miss Piggys cats in the world where Kermit wasn't born), at the pet shop in Kermit's Swamp Years, and in The Muppets Wizard of Oz, when the rats came to the wicked witches castle, gaffer should have been there to chase the rats away.

Saironi

Reaction score
I think in all the time she was on the show, Gaffer only had a "speaking" role in "The Cat Came Back" singing the last part of the verse "Sweet Home" (I think it was a MALE voice), but if course, since she IS supposedly just an alley cat, she might have a gruff voice that doesn't fit her gender. Also, she doesn't seem to speak at all.

Now that I think about it, Catgut is another cat who hardly says anything.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Saironi said:
I think in all the time she was on the show, Gaffer only had a "speaking" role in "The Cat Came Back" singing the last part of the verse "Sweet Home" (I think it was a MALE voice), but if course, since she IS supposedly just an alley cat, she might have a gruff voice that doesn't fit her gender. Also, she doesn't seem to speak at all.
Gaffer also meowed in the u.k. spot from the Lynda Carter episode and made some cat noises in the Wally Boag episode. I thought her meows sounded feminine.

Saironi said:
Now that I think about it, Catgut is another cat who hardly says anything.
Catgut pretty much only spoke in The Muppet Musicians of bremen. She did meow a few times after that.

Xerus

Reaction score
I think Gaffer was supposed to be Kathy Mullen's official character. Just like how Rizzo was Steve Whitmire's official character but hardly spoke back then.

Saironi

Reaction score
Now that I think of it, didn't Rizzo and Gaffer appear in the same season? Almost as if these two were meant to be rivals, since when they're both appearing in the goodnights, Gaffer makes like she's going to bite him. It would make a good backstage plot if the show had lasted longer.

Oh, that cat in TMCC isn't Gaffer, it's another realistic-looking cat. I can tell because it doesn't have Gaffer's trademark eyepatch. I assume you thought that, MM, because of the negative chemistry between the feline and rodent, right?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Saironi said:
Oh, that cat in TMCC isn't Gaffer, it's another realistic-looking cat. I can tell because it doesn't have Gaffer's trademark eyepatch. I assume you thought that, MM, because of the negative chemistry between the feline and rodent, right?
I knew it wasn't Gaffer. I was saying that Gaffer should have been the cat in that scene, instead of some newer cat (was that cat used in any production made before MCC?).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Didn't Gaffer appear backstage in nearly all of the later episodes? Just wondering.