Anyone remember the "Join Us" song?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I've only seen this at least once or twice in the 80s. It's a song performed by an AM rock band, and it goes something like "Join us!/You can play the drums!/Join us!/You can play piano!"

If anyone's seen this and/or know more of how it goes, please let me know.

Splurge

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
I've only seen this at least once or twice in the 80s. It's a song performed by an AM rock band, and it goes something like "Join us!/You can play the drums!/Join us!/You can play piano!"

If anyone's seen this and/or know more of how it goes, please let me know.
If I remember correctly, Brian Meehl voiced and puppeteered the lead singer, with a voice that sounded like Dr. Nobel Price might have sounded as a teenager, if you can imagine. I also found the tune to be rough on the ears.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Wow, a season 12 segment with four Muppets, clearly four performers, and the trusted documents the wiki has been using to track performers in various segments only lists three performers - Brian Meehl, Michael Earl, and Karen Prell. I've heard that those docs aren't complete, but I wonder who the other performer is. Probably not Caroll Spinney, maybe Kevin Clash (who sometimes performed in that season), maybe Fran Brill (who wasn't away in England with the main Muppet Show performers but her time each year was limited), maybe somebody who didn't perform often (I wonder if the fourth performer was a last minute thing and not on a call sheet or whatever). Or maybe it was one of the main performers who would have been busy with TMS and GMC that year.

It does sound great, though maybe not a must-have segment.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I'm 90% certain that's Jim as the keyboardist.

It seems like they just shot a bunch of stuff between seasons 10-12 and it just got slotted/held over whenever. I guess the movies and TMS really impeded the insert taping schedule around then.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think I'm as good as identifying performer movements as other people here and at Toughpigs (though I have speculated some things), but I did feel there was something familiar about that keyboardists movements.

I did start wondering if maybe Come Join Us was shot in season 11 and held over a year (Karen Prell seems to have joined at the end of season 11). It's clear that Jim, Frank, Jerry, and Richard were in season 12 a lot less than other seasons before and after, and a lot of their premier season 12 material has been sourced to be from season 11. It would be great if we had conclusive evidence of whether they were completely absent from taping SST material that year (like season 12 reference numbers, dates on tape slates for when season 12 would have been in production, tape dates for all their season 12 segments showing that they had all been taped a season earlier, official word that they were all absent that year, etc.). But of course this is a topic for a different thread.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I'm 90% certain that's Jim as the keyboardist.

It seems like they just shot a bunch of stuff between seasons 10-12 and it just got slotted/held over whenever. I guess the movies and TMS really impeded the insert taping schedule around then.
I doubt it’s Jim, Karen Prell states she never worked with Jim on Sesame Street. I have a feeling it could be Ed Christine.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I doubt it’s Jim, Karen Prell states she never worked with Jim on Sesame Street. I have a feeling it could be Ed Christine.
I wonder if she would have forgotten working with Jim on the show. If it stood out to her that they didn't work together, should the memory of him working with her just once stand out in her memory (and they did work together on other productions)? And if her memory is correct, then it is sad that they didn't work together on the show.

In Michael Earl's interview from Toughpigs, when talking about what led to his departure, he mentioned that his performance hadn't improved and needed Jim and Frank there more to guide him, but they weren't on often. Now I wonder if he meant they weren't there at all that season.

Karen Prell may have been heavily available that season, but Michael Earl has said that during the time he was on the show, he, Meehl, and Spinney were the only performers on set every day. Unless he just forgot about her being there on a more daily basis. But I guess Michael Earl would have been more likely to be on set when the old school main performers were.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Listening to the song, I feel like I'm listening to Brak from Space Ghost: Coast to Coast and The Brak Show.