Anyone miss The Electric Company?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
maxdrive said:
i seem to ether remeber a show or caracters on a show calle dthe alphbet gang they were puppets and they each wore a shirt with a letter of the alphabet on it and there names would be that letter i think
You mean "The Letter People"? :big_grin:

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
it's nice you all rememebr TEC but i think we should reserve this section for Classic SS and talk about TEC and theother PBS in the General Discussion Board. i have another PBS program mentioned there.
This is really no big deal, but MikeBennedict, why are you always messing with my threads?

I think there's enough connection especially between classic Sesame and TEC, since they often crossed-over on each other's shows and they covered the same time period....Oscar and Big Bird on The Electric Company and vice versa - there was an episode of SESAME where the cast of TEC came onto the street. I remember Easy Reader conversing wtih Gordon and Maria talking with Rita Moreno. And furthermore, often you'll find fans of classic SS watched TEC as well. They're usually the same generation of viewers.

Maybe you're too young to remember, but I think this topic is valid in this section of the forum.

:smirk:

Censored

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVED the Electric Company and I'd be glad to talk about it anywhere. There certainly were crossovers with TEC and Classic Sesame Street since it was produced in the same era. In one TEC episode, Grover winds up at the diner owned by Vi (sp?) and cannot remember what street he lives on. In another episode, Oscar The Grouch visits J. Arthur Crank (TEC's grouchy human character) and Crank sings a song in tribute to such a great grouch. At one point, Oscar snaps one of Crank's suspenders to show how rotten he can be. Sesame Street was also mentioned a few times on TEC in passing. And here's a real obscure connection that many probably don't remember. In an issue of the comic book, "Spidey Super Stories" (based on the TEC), Mr. Hooper actually appeared. Most issues of the TEC magazine said "For Graduates Of Sesame Street" and I've also seen both of the shows borrow ideas for skits from one another. It was all CTW during a classic era.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I was very addicted to The Electric Company. I still the modern day(very close to version),Between the Lions,that is quite enjoyable.

SesameMike

Reaction score
SS/EC crossovers

Other Sesame Street / Electric Company crossovers that I'd heard about, but don't remember exactly:

-- Big Bird once visited Fargo North in his shop.

-- some of the cartoons, like the 2001: A Space Odyssey monolith that crumbles to reveal "ALK" or some other letter combination, to the sound of "Also Sprach Zarathustra", appeared on both shows.

-- supposedly, one day Rita Moreno wandered on to Sesame Street and called out "Hey You Guys!". The adults politely told her that she was on the wrong show.

Then there was this routine I saw in which Big Bird came into Hooper's store, and Mr. Hooper was paying his bills. Mr. Looper explained to BB that if he didn't pay such-and-such a bill, he would lose a specific amenity.

HOOPER: "And this bill is for the Electric Company. If I don't pay this bill"
(entire set goes dark).

I wouldn't be surprised if Big Bird responded "The Electric Company? Boy, that's a great show."

MuppetDude

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
-- Big Bird once visited Fargo North in his shop.
Big Bird, Grover, and Oscar all have appeared on TEC.

HarveyK

Reaction score
Sorry, can't resist

I loved TEC!!! Letterman was awesome. I thnk Joan Rivers might have done the narrating on it-think about it.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Joan and Gene

Not only did Joan Rivers do the narration on "The Adventures of Letterman", but Letterman himself was voiced by Gene Wilder. He didn't say that much, though. Sometimes his only line was "I'm Letterman", which came after Joan's "It's a word! It's a plan!" shpiel.