Anyone Find The Lack Of Muppet Merch Disturbing?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Funny thing is, Phineas and Ferb was out since 2008... but it wasn't until 2010 wen stuff started popping up. Disney kinda acted like they didn't want the show for quite some time... now it's marketed more than any of their current Teen Pop shows. Maybe it all just takes time.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been said that the movie has exeeded expectations and is only two million dollars away from making back the budget spent. I think it's now the second highest-grossing Muppet movie of all time. I hope that within the next few months Disney will put out more mainstream Muppet merchandise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's been said that the movie has exeeded expectations and is only two million dollars away from making back the budget spent. I think it's now the second highest-grossing Muppet movie of all time. I hope that within the next few months Disney will put out more mainstream Muppet merchandise.
Inflation has to be fully adjusted... but it made more than MFS and ONLY in its opening domestic weekend (it has yet to hit a large portion of the international market). And the weekend isn't even over yet (at least considering the time zone), so they could very well make just a bit more by tomorrow morning. If these numbers are impressive and it has a strong second weekend next week, this movie is exceeding expectations... which means Disney did kinda underestimated the merchandising potential at first... BUT that only means more and more things will pop up when the DVD's pop up. I'm VERY excited about what that means.

Like I said before, I saw more Bolt stuff pop up (not a whole lot more... but more plush toys and fruit snacks and stuff) AFTER the movie's release than when it came out.

beaker

Reaction score
Inflation has to be fully adjusted... but it made more than MFS and ONLY in its opening domestic weekend (it has yet to hit a large portion of the international market). And the weekend isn't even over yet (at least considering the time zone), so they could very well make just a bit more by tomorrow morning. If these numbers are impressive and it has a strong second weekend next week, this movie is exceeding expectations... which means Disney did kinda underestimated the merchandising potential at first... BUT that only means more and more things will pop up when the DVD's pop up. I'm VERY excited about what that means.

Like I said before, I saw more Bolt stuff pop up (not a whole lot more... but more plush toys and fruit snacks and stuff) AFTER the movie's release than when it came out.
Yeah, looking back you're right...there is indeed a number of films and franchises that didn't get a big merchandise push from Disney until the dvd hit and even after that. When Toy Story hit in 1995, I remember some of the only toys were the Burger King figures. TS3, that saturated the landscape with merch like noone's business...only because they knew it was time tested. But yeah, thinking back Bolt didn't get any action figures or toys. Even Tangled, I don't really recall toys. To me it's crazy that the film exceeding opening week expectations, has been a huge audience hit reaction wise, and on top of all that has across the board critical acclaim unlike any other family or kids film this year.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, there was quite a lot of stuff when the first Toy Story came out, including a Buzz Lightyear that's similar to the movie. I think they even referenced the fact that it sold all too well because short sighted retailers didn't expect them to do that well in the second movie.

The part about me worrying about the success of the movie is over... now, if they wanted to take it slow and see how the reaction went, I'm fine with it. That only means that we're about to get a wave of stuff once the DVD hits and the movie goes international.

I notice that sequels usually get more merchandise because of that. Madagascar 1 had virtually nothing but a hard to find PVC set and some resin mini statues from Russ, but the second had a huge plush line and a McD's toy among other things. That's why I'm disappointed there's not going to be a second Monsters Vs Aliens.

beaker

Reaction score
Why do you think Dr Tooth, that MvA failed expectations at the BO? I look at most Dreamworks pictures and go "meh", if not downright wince. But MvA had the best animation I've ever seen in a DW picture. It was the funnest DW picture I ever saw, had the best action and voice acting as far as celebrities go. And its by far the most epic thing DW has ever done. And I mean, Insectasaurus! Wow. Just love all the personalities.

I LOVE the film, the short film and the halloween special...but id be sad if thats the only forray into that world we get.

Speaking of DW films I have zero interest in, Puss n Boots has fallen way down at the box office. I mean total thelma louise ending core.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I was bummed that Bimart had no Muppet merchandising whatsoever in their store. I expected to find at least one or two things, but alas, I was wrong.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why do you think Dr Tooth, that MvA failed expectations at the BO? I look at most Dreamworks pictures and go "meh", if not downright wince. But MvA had the best animation I've ever seen in a DW picture. It was the funnest DW picture I ever saw, had the best action and voice acting as far as celebrities go. And its by far the most epic thing DW has ever done. And I mean, Insectasaurus! Wow. Just love all the personalities.

I LOVE the film, the short film and the halloween special...but id be sad if thats the only forray into that world we get.

Speaking of DW films I have zero interest in, Puss n Boots has fallen way down at the box office. I mean total thelma louise ending core.
Puss in Boots has been out a month. Rarely do films do that well a month later. It did good enough the 2 weekends after opening though.

As for MVA, it did well enough here... some international market it didn't do well in, and they refuse to make a sequel on that. That's preposterous. That really should be their next big franchise. I want that cartoon to happen, but I don't even think the pilot's been done yet. Still, that's one of their weirdest, wildest movies... they should have made more merchandise for that one. I want a Steven Colbert president figure.

beaker

Reaction score
Puss in Boots has been out a month. Rarely do films do that well a month later. It did good enough the 2 weekends after opening though.

As for MVA, it did well enough here... some international market it didn't do well in, and they refuse to make a sequel on that. That's preposterous. That really should be their next big franchise. I want that cartoon to happen, but I don't even think the pilot's been done yet. Still, that's one of their weirdest, wildest movies... they should have made more merchandise for that one. I want a Steven Colbert president figure.
I found out they actually made more MvA merch than I realized. Not saturate the landscape ala Toy Story 3 and Terminator Salvation wise, but they made figures of every single character(either action figures or bendems, including numerous playsets) Not sure where the bendys were sold, but theyre on ebay.

Im still scratching my head as to why MvA underperformed and didnt deserve further exploring in their eyes. While I like Madagascar some, MvA is the first film they did since Antz(which I love way more than a bug's life) that had me raving. To me its a perfect film, and the characters lend themselves to further adventures. My only complaint is there wasnt more monsters shown or more henchmen. I wanna see what other monsters look like!
+