Any Closing Logos Fans?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that they found the Rankin/Bass logo of the 60s and 70s to be among the top scariest logos of all time.

You know, I think had I been alive when it was around, it MIGHT have bothered me to a degree, but when I see it now, I love it, because I can tell by the animation and the retro-esque music that it's definitely a product of its time.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember in some of the Rankin/Bass classic specials, a golden lowercase g would appear holding a book and it would say Golden Books Entertainment and gentle music would play.

And of course, there's that famous "Shhhhh" woman in the movie theater from Gracie Films. The studio that brought us the Simpsons.

One thing was pretty creepy was from those Pink Panther cartoons where a silver UA would slowly turn around and loud intense music would play while the words United Artists would appear at the bottom.

And that MGM Lion roaring always made me nervous back then. But I liked the MTM kitty meowing though.

I remember Inspector Gadget, dotting the DIC i with a hammer, I also remember in the Littles, Dinky dotting the i with a button. I kind of wished they kept the i dotting logos. It would've been neat to see how all the DIC characters would dot the i in a lot of different ways.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned that they found the Rankin/Bass logo of the 60s and 70s to be among the top scariest logos of all time.

You know, I think had I been alive when it was around, it MIGHT have bothered me to a degree, but when I see it now, I love it, because I can tell by the animation and the retro-esque music that it's definitely a product of its time.
I can see why... the music has that REALLY LOUD piano note right after the softer opening. Sudden loud noises like that are unnerving to some. I can't say I like it... but the only logos that bug me are those old early 70's moog synthesized things.

Moog synthesizers are only for late 70's and early 80's anime sound effects.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Ironically enough for an old-school Sesame buff, I grew up frightened to death of the so-called tricolor PBS logo. You know the one: the loud trilling Moog notes, the letters appearing one at a time from nowhere... *shudder* When PBS finally changed their network identification bump in the 80s, I breathed a sigh of relief.

ISNorden

Reaction score
You know all of 'em, you've loved some of 'em, you've even been scared by some of 'em... but how can you possibly end a show or a movie without the production company's closing logo?

I've had a few folks on YouTube ask the same thing, especially when I post Sesame Street ending credits. "Where's the PBS channel bump?" To tell the truth, only one episode in my collection (#2485) has a channel bump after the funding credits; everything else is a Noggin broadcast, which could get me in big trouble with YouTube if anything gave that away. As far as production logos, though...thank goodness the old CTW mentions at the end of an episode weren't too scary. Somehow, losing them in favor of an impersonal logo-flash marked the end of an era.

Yorick

Reaction score
Sorry if it was mentioned already, and I realize it's not a closing logo, but does anyone remember (when it was on TV in the 90's...or earlier) the 60's Looney Tunes opening? Think of the normal song, but twisted WAY out there and scary :smile:

As for a real Closing Logo thing, I remember the thing with the scary & loud chisel or something...can't recall the name though! Or the shows...

ISNorden

Reaction score
As for a real Closing Logo thing, I remember the thing with the scary & loud chisel or something...can't recall the name though! Or the shows...
It was Mark VII Productions: they shot a live film of someone striking the Roman numeral onto metal with a hammer and silversmith's die. The "CLANG....CLANG! CLANG!" must have scared you, along with the arm swinging the hammer down into the shot. (Oddly enough, this logo never frightened me back in the day...) Some cop show in the late 60s/early 70s used the Mark VII logo, although I can't recall which show it was to save my life; go figure!

Yorick

Reaction score
It was Mark VII Productions: they shot a live film of someone striking the Roman numeral onto metal with a hammer and silversmith's die. The "CLANG....CLANG! CLANG!" must have scared you, along with the arm swinging the hammer down into the shot. (Oddly enough, this logo never frightened me back in the day...) Some cop show in the late 60s/early 70s used the Mark VII logo, although I can't recall which show it was to save my life; go figure!
The 1967-70 version of Dragnet? And thanks for telling me the logo name! I found a link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzuDDx3AypM How dramatic most of those are in the link! And yes, I think the reasons you said are why I found it a bit heavy, so to speak, even if I wasn't scared in the way certain other things scared me. (Do we have a 'scary TV' thread?)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Didn't one of the adult swim shows mock that logo, using the same sound effect (wanna say it's Aqua Teen Hunger Force)?

Ironically enough for an old-school Sesame buff, I grew up frightened to death of the so-called tricolor PBS logo. You know the one: the loud trilling Moog notes, the letters appearing one at a time from nowhere... *shudder* When PBS finally changed their network identification bump in the 80s, I breathed a sigh of relief.
Again, I really hate that one... every time I watch my old school DVD sets, I have to mute it. The music just sounds so... tiny and icky. Not pleasant on the ears That said, I still say these things made great 1970's and 80's anime sound effects. Funny thing is if you take the first exact buzzing sort of note at the beginning of that log, slow it down or stretch it out, it's the EXACT same sound effect as Lum the Invader Girl flying. Check it out.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Didn't one of the adult swim shows mock that logo, using the same sound effect (wanna say it's Aqua Teen Hunger Force)?
Space Ghost, Coast to Coast, even before adultswim came along.

Now that logo used to bother me, lol - it was a simple white background, with the rippling gray silohuette of an office building, with "GHOST STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS" at the bottom.

... Could they actually get away with that? Taking the exact same audio?