Any Big Mean Carl fans?

beaker

Reaction score
Actually the puppet has existed since 1992 so (even though he didn't) he could have been used in MCC or MTI if they decided to use him in either one. Although there were a lot of Muppets built due to accomodate scripts during MT! several new characters came about due to workshops during pre-production where Muppeteers would pick up various puppets and improv possible new characters with the writers observing. This is how Sal went from an anonymous monkey puppet to Johnny Fiama's assistant. The same thing probably occurred with Carl.
Yep, and didn't Bobo kind of exist as of 1984 as an "anything bear" in TMTM?

I remember Carl made his debut(I think) in an early 90's business tape sketch of some sort.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yep, Bobo started as one of the bears from MTM (which is fun to watch now since you can spot Bobo "in drag" during the wedding finale) and Carl made his debut in one of the Muppet Meeting Films.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Carl is a cool character, though there are a lot of other monsters I like better. Behemoth, Gorgon Heap, Thog, Doglion, Boppity...

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I Love Big Mean Carl, and I agree with ya'll he really brings the spirit of the Classic Muppet Monster formula. Nom nom nom, eating muppets :insatiable:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually the puppet has existed since 1992 so (even though he didn't) he could have been used in MCC or MTI if they decided to use him in either one.
That's very interesting. I wonder if they just didn't use the character's puppet because they had so many others to choose from. Shame they didn't give him a cameo as a pirate in MTI since that's the case.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I am a giant fan of Big Mean Carl! I adore him in ''Stand by Me'', I hope he gets featured in the new Muppet Movie! Even though, Jason Segel doesn't want many post Henson Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppet Studios people are clearly going to goad them to use a few of the newer characters somewhere, especially ones that are already built or rebuilt... even if only in a crowd scene. It's cost effective.

Plus, given the fact that Carl REALLY managed to make a come back (he's even in the Snow White comic's finale issue), they're clearly going to get him to be somewhere in the film. I truely think that even Carl has a classic Muppetness about him that none of the other newer characters (not even Pepe) possess. There's no real reason to leave him out in that case. Even if they make him just one-a da monsters.

SeanC

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Muppet monsters and while Carl is second fiddle to the 'greats' of the Jim Henson era, he's still a lot of fun. I only have vague memories of 'Muppets Tonight' but I absolutely loved him in that 'Stand by Me' short.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
He's pretty cool. I loved the Smashing Pumpkins bit he did on MT, as well as the Stand By Me video. He's delightfully destructive, and I love it.