Another rant from your friendly (and not so active) author!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Okay, got a lot on my plate now. I've been seriously thinking about moving out of my parents house lately; and I picked up the mail for them today, after having gone to get the rest of my Airport mandated physical done.

There was this little card in the mailbox, saying that somebody in our area was selling their house! So I called the realtor, and she said it was around $16,000. That's mighty cheap for a house.

Went online, it said $22,000. Still, sorta cheap for house/land combined. Then I went to go check it out, it's the CUTEST little house ever! I figured with my new job ($8.65 per hour, 32 hours per week + whatever overtime I might put in.) I might be able to afford the monthly mortage payments on it! Along with the utilities!

And in the end, I'd be owning my own house; instead of renting an overpriced apartment! Plus, in the long run; mortage payments are cheaper then apartment rent per month.

So...what do you guys think? Never have lived on my own, but I'm also not some frail flower or any kind of pushover like that. Kinda like Miss Piggy, but with drastically less bodily harm to others.

I'm joining my parents for dinner tonight, so I'll talk it over with them and see what they think about it.

An additional plus to it: It's less then 5 mins away from their house as well! 2.1 miles away to be exact!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I called the realtor, and she said it was around $16,000. That's mighty cheap for a house.
Are you kidding? We can't even afford $1,200 to move into a new house, meanwhile we're still stuck in a hotel room!

Java

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea if you can do it, but would worry about why the house is so cheap...

It's also that I could just be used to the prices in the Charleston area and that anything seems cheap to me...

MeWantCookie

Reaction score
good luck, ReneeLouvier! hope the house situation works out for you :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Good luck with everything! But I agree with Java, make sure you know everything about the condition of the house first. You don't want to end up having to pay for repairs.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Wow, sissy, I think it's great. Seriously, I wish my house had been that cheap! If you can make it work you should go for it, just be careful, we had some friends recently that had to foreclose on their house because they could no longer afford it. If your job is stable though, why the heck not! Good luck with whatever you decide! Miss you around here!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
I think it's a great idea if you can do it, but would worry about why the house is so cheap...

It's also that I could just be used to the prices in the Charleston area and that anything seems cheap to me...
Yeah, I've got a best friend who lives in the Charleston area; I was completely AMAZED at the prices there! Plus the cheap price is because we live almost in the boondocks around here. On the outskirts of Lexington, to be exact.

I'm only a 20 minute drive away from Pelion, which is considered completely out there by most people.

And I have no idea what is up with the house, because unfortunately I sat back a few hours after talking with my parents on it; and my credit is not up to snuff just yet to actually look into purchasing a house.

Thanks for your comments and support guys. Sorry if it seemed like a lot of talk for a lot of nothing. :smirk:

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Are you kidding? We can't even afford $1,200 to move into a new house, meanwhile we're still stuck in a hotel room!
I'm not completely understanding what you mean, Snowthy. I'm sorry that you're stuck in a hotel room.

I'm also sorry if you misunderstood my original posting. I don't have $16,000 or $22,000 to throw around willy-nilly. I've not even started my job yet! I was assuming that that price would result in incredibley low mortgage payments per month, under $250 or so per month to be exact; and I would be able to afford that.

However the $450 or up per month for an apartment, I'd be lucky to squeeze by at the end of the month! :eek: The way I see my budget becoming at least.

So, if it came off like I was some Paris Hilton wondering which chi would look better with my Prada purse; I'm sorry.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sorry, Sara, I've just been a little on edge lately what with the subject of houses lately; if you ever see the "I Won't Be Posting Anymore" thread, you'll see why I'm stuck in a hotel room.

That, and I just found it kind of awkward that you found something that costly to be "pretty cheap" for a house. $850 is pretty cheap... $950 is pretty cheap... but once you get up to $1,000... THEN that gets really costly. At least that's just how I see it.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I wish you all the very best of luck Sara. And I hope this house goal works out well for you indeed. :smile:

And Snowthers. I deeply sympathize with your own circumstances. I hope things turn out happily for you, your parents and Tommie eventually.:sympathy: