Another Destitute Muppet Fan

dwmckim

Reaction score
Well, Byron's not the only one to join the ranks of the unemployed...i lost my job of almost 11 years.

Things haven't been easy these last few years (as those of you who read my MuppetFest article know!) but all things considered, i'm actually doing okay - in many ways, i was really growing to hate my job and it was a large source of misery. I was actually going to leave it within a year anyway though obviously i would have prefered it to be at my own choosing when i could have more opportunity to secure the next one first. But thankfully, i do have some emergency savings to keep me afloat presently so it's not as dire as if i was strictly living paycheck to paycheck.

I have no idea what i'll do next for a steady job (in fact chasing down references has been quite an exercise after not seeking employment for over a decade - so much of the obvious choices have moved, become untracable, or passed away!). But i'm taking advantage of some of the freedom to explore several avenues that could hopefully bring in some good supplemental income that i've wanted to do for years but my old job's increasingly inflexable schedule didn't leave open much opportunity. I'm finally signing up with one of Arizona's best talent agencies (to get some nice acting jobs that pay somewhat decently!) and i may also soon get into voiceovers. Puppetry may come later down the line - but that will be a later priority after these. I may have to take some various odd jobs here and there that i don't care to do long but i do like the adventure and opportunity to start putting my life back on a track that i'd like it to be on. I'm using Pa'u Zotah Zhaan's outlook as an example - since i didn't think i'd live this long, every day is extra time!

...Of course this also all means that Muppet collectors are going to be wanting to keep their eyes on Ebay this next month or so for some incredible goodies!

matleo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your news, DW. Hope tings get better. I know tis seems off topic, but have you ever been to the great Arizona Puppet Theater in Pheonix. it's over on...oh jeez, I can't remember the address. it's by the Centra; branch of the Phoenix Public Library (Burton barr Library). If you end up looking for a puppetry job, go tak to them. I don't know if they have any openings, but they may know some other Phoenix puppeteers that could help. They're a good group of people to know (I use to work for them and I learned a lot doing it.) Anyway, you should really try t get over there and see one of their shows if you haven't. tickets are usually dirt cheap and (or they were when I was there two years ago) and the shows are good quality. Besides it might make you feel better. Good luck with everything.

--Matt

PS--if you do get over there, tell nancy, Lisa, and the rest of the gang I say hi!

dwmckim

Reaction score
It's been awhile since i've been over there but i do know of them...i had actually originally met Lisa when we worked together in the early '90's on Danton's Death at Planet Earth Theatre - she had actually helped arrange my Muppet Central interview w/ Jerry Juhl!

matleo

Reaction score
Yeah lisa haslbauer!!!! I love Lisa! She's such a great person. When I was living in Phoenix, I had nothing. I mean literally out there with a suitcase of clothes, an alarm clock and maybe a few books to keep me sane. And Lisa was always great about having me over and helping me run to the grocery store to stock up and such. She's the best!! Maybe I'll drop her a note tonight, hmmm....

--Matt

Chilly Down

Reaction score
D.W.,

Wow -- sorry to hear about that. You and Byron will both be in my prayers, then. I'm excited to hear about the possibility of your doing voice-over work, etc. Please keep us informed on how that goes!

Gonzo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that DW....now isn't the best time to be looking for jobs for ANYONE, but it sounds like you'll have some promising leads. Keep your chin (in my case, CHINS) up in any case--everything will work itself out. You sound optimistic, so that's good.

Good luck!

Quinnnnnnnnn

KPrell

Reaction score
Hi DW,

Sorry to hear your news too, but yes, having a positive attitude is really going to help.

Hey, maybe you and Byron should go into business together as private investigators who do voiceovers! (Or at least team up to write a sitcom about it)

Good luck with the voiceover work. Hope it comes through for you.

all the best,

Karen

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
D.W.--

Hiya, Pal.

Tough luck there on the job thing, but like I said before: Behind every dark and stormy cloud reigns the sunshine, and I know it will all work out for you.

Bad things don't happen to good people for very long!

Here's to knowing it'll all be okay!!

FOZ :wink: