Animated Spin-offs

Xerus

Reaction score
My all time favorite Saturday Morning cartoon was Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Based off those cheesy low budget Killer Tomato movies.

snichols1973

Reaction score
The animated Laurel & Hardy would make another appearance in Scooby-Doo Meets
Laurel and Hardy (IMDB lists Daws Butler as the voice of Laurel & Hardy, while Wikipedia lists Larry Harmon & Jim MacGeorge), where they join the Mystery Inc. team at a ski resort.

The Three Stooges' animated form made further animated appearances in 2 New Scooby-Doo Movies: Ghastly Ghost Town, and The Ghost of the Red Baron.

Unfortunately, neither Moe, Larry, nor Curly Joe DeRita voiced their animated counterparts, because Larry Fine had suffered a paralyzing stroke in 1970, which resulted in Larry's retirement, with Paul Winchell as Moe, Joe Baker as Larry, and Frank Welker as Curly (all uncredited) in the Ghastly Ghost Town and Ghost of the Red Baron Scooby-Doo movies.

Winchell, Baker, and Welker would later reprise their animated versions of Moe, Larry, and Curly in The Robonic Stooges, which originally started out as a short subject on The Skatebirds until its cancellation, but is now seen as an occasional stand-alone short subject on CN Boomerang to fill the non-commercial gaps between programs.

The Robonic Stooges Stooges Youre Fired mp4 - YouTube

Joe Besser, who was hired to finish out the Three Stooges' contract with Columbia Pictures after Shemp died of a heart attack in 1955, would find work in animation as a voice actor, lending his voice to such characters as Babu from the animated Jeannie (September 1973 - August 1975), and Scare Bear from Yogi's Space Race and Galaxy Goof-Ups.

Harold Peary, best known as The Great Gildersleeve from 1941-1950, would lend his voice to dude ranch proprietor Fenwick Fuddy in Buford and the Galloping Ghost, and occasional appearances on Yogi's Space Race.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
The animated Laurel & Hardy would make another appearance in Scooby-Doo Meets
Laurel and Hardy (IMDB lists Daws Butler as the voice of Laurel & Hardy, while Wikipedia lists Larry Harmon & Jim MacGeorge), where they join the Mystery Inc. team at a ski resort.

Unfortunately, neither Moe, Larry, nor Curly Joe DeRita voiced their animated counterparts, because Larry Fine had suffered a paralyzing stroke in 1970, which resulted in Larry's retirement, with Paul Winchell as Moe, Joe Baker as Larry, and Frank Welker as Curly (all uncredited) in the Ghastly Ghost Town and Ghost of the Red Baron Scooby-Doo movies.

Winchell, Baker, and Welker would later reprise their animated versions of Moe, Larry, and Curly in The Robonic Stooges

Joe Besser, who was hired to finish out the Three Stooges' contract with Columbia Pictures after Shemp died of a heart attack in 1955, would find work in animation as a voice actor, lending his voice to such characters as Babu from the animated Jeannie (September 1973 - August 1975), and Scare Bear from Yogi's Space Race and Galaxy Goof-Ups.
Wikipedia is correct. Harmon (a.k.a. "Bozo the Clown") and MacGeorge voiced Laurel and Hardy for the Scooby episode, as well as the series that Harmon produced. MacGeorge is better known for his Laurel impersonation, and from what I heard, he was originally going to voice Stan in Harmon's series. But Harmon fancied his own Laurel impersonation, and took on the role himself. Do I smell an ego? MacGeorge would imitate Laurel to Chuck McCann's Hardy for a series of live action commercials throughout the 80's.

You're right about the voice actors for the Robonic Stooges, but in the Scooby episodes Pat Harrington Jr. voiced Moe, and Daws Butler voiced Larry and Curly-Joe (though he clearly confused Joe DeRita for Curly Howard, as his voice imitation is far too high to be Joe). I remember reading a quote from Larry Fine about the Stooges' appearances on Scooby. He wished Hanna and Barbera had let the Stooges do their own voices. Larry even said that he could have tried to sound like his old self, despite his stroke.

Besser apparently kept doing the voice work because he had to keep working (in other words, he needed the money. Unlike the Stooges , Besser wasn't a huge star). He was always rather disappointed that he didn't stay with the Stooges longer, so that he could have retired earlier.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My all time favorite Saturday Morning cartoon was Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Based off those cheesy low budget Killer Tomato movies.
Another great, completely unappreciated Fox Kids classic. The second season looked like CD-I animation, and the show was considerably less funny... but those great older episodes were the most off the wall writing in cartoons at that point.

I know there's some revival Attack of the Killer Tomatoes movie that actually has a live action John Austin as Gangreen. I think I saw part of it once. Even used the same theme song. Couldn't tell if that came before or after the series, though.

Xerus

Reaction score
What I liked about the Killer Tomatoes was that it was an action cartoon with crazy fourth wall humor, which was kind of rare back in those days.
Also, this cartoon was based off the movie Return of the Killer Tomatoes. Where Gangreen, played by John Astin, did an experiment turning a tomato into a girl named Tara.
The cartoon made some changes like giving Gangreen green skin, and turning Wilbur's nephew Chad from an adult to a ten year old boy, to appeal to the kids watching.
I too thought the first season was the best, and in the second season when they changed animation and turned it into a continuing storyline with only 8 episodes. It wasn't so great. But at least we got a second season. I was disappointed that there was no third season. And FOX Kids hasn't been the same again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A Pup Named Scooby Doo!
Further more, Scooby-Doo doesn't so much as spin-off as it does rebrand and reboot itself. The fact that it keeps reinventing itself back and forth is how Scooby-Doo managed to be on television every decade since its first cartoon series in the late 60's.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Random trivia: following the cancellation of the animated Happy Days spin-off ("The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang"), Hanna-Barbera decided to do another show with Fonzie. "Scooby and Scrappy-Doo With the Fonz" was scheduled to air on ABC in the fall of '82, but it was eventually decided to place Fonzie in the animated Laverne and Shirley spin-off ("Laverne and Shirley in the Army"). Here's a hand-painted publicity still.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Random trivia: following the cancellation of the animated Happy Days spin-off ("The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang"), Hanna-Barbera decided to do another show with Fonzie. "Scooby and Scrappy-Doo With the Fonz" was scheduled to air on ABC in the fall of '82, but it was eventually decided to place Fonzie in the animated Laverne and Shirley spin-off ("Laverne and Shirley in the Army"). Here's a hand-painted publicity still.
Which makes it all the more disappointing that the Happy Days cartoon was almost a Doctor Who cartoon.

We would've seen a Dr. Who meets Scooby-Doo series!