Animated Pilots You Wish Became a Full Series

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Are there any pitch pilots for animated TV shows that never got off the ground, but you wish they did?

I wanted the animated pilot based off of the graphic novel Blokhedz to become a full series. I liked the idea of having rap battles be literal battles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plastic Man. I'm still very disappointed about that one only getting a handful of shorts on the failed DC Nation line up. If DC wanted a comedy series so badly, that was the show they should have gone to instead of TTG. But at least they cast Tom Kenny as Plas in Batman:TBATB, so they continued that thread.

Also, I really wish CN did something with Galactic Kids Next Door. It deserves to at least be a telefilm or a miniseries like OTGW. It's certainly more deserving of a series than a new PPG cartoon. And not because they're going the route of recasting everyone for whatever reason. But because season 6 of the original series pretty much proved they ran out of story in season 5.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Constant Payne was a 2001 pilot that Nickelodeon rejected because they though it would be too expensive, rather than the scene of the airship squeezing through two towers reminiscent of 9/11 as is commonly believed. It's a coming-of-age story about a father/daughter duo whose family are part of a long line of guardians. I really like the steampunk setting and the play between Amanda Payne and her father.

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Constant-Payne/Movie?id=39030

I mentioned Twelve Forever before, which is about a 12-year-old girl who plays with toys and averts responsibility at an age that's seen as socially unacceptable, but she can magically transport herself to an island where she is queen and she can be a kid as long as she wants. Cartoon Network rejected it, but I hope the strong word-of-mouth on the web can lead the higher-ups to change their mind and make it into a full series.

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Twelve-Forever/Pilot?id=55856

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Another pilot I wish became a full-fledged cartoon is The Kitty Bobo Show. I love the character designs and the overall aesthetic.

If this came out today, it would totally be a Cartoon Network show. But in 2001 they probably didn't have their hipster-y young adult demographic yet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I don't know how far into production it got, and I'd tend to think if it did happen it wouldn't have been very good and we would have been probably robbed of the biggest animation series of the past 26 years, I really wonder how the Saturday Morning Milhouse show would have turned out. Anyone else's mind blown when they read that?

I can't even picture it. Milhouse would have a different personality, of course. It would probably be like every other 1980's group of kids shows (to say the least, we'd have a prerequisite "Sporty kid"). Given it's the 1980's, it would have shared one common trait with the Simpsons... Nancy Cartwright. Cuz she was in almost everything back then.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Another pilot I wish became a full-fledged cartoon is The Kitty Bobo Show. I love the character designs and the overall aesthetic.
And that's Dante Basco (Avatar, American Dragon Jake Long) providing the voice of the title character, too. :smile:

While I don't know how far into production it got, and I'd tend to think if it did happen it wouldn't have been very good and we would have been probably robbed of the biggest animation series of the past 26 years, I really wonder how the Saturday Morning Milhouse show would have turned out. Anyone else's mind blown when they read that?

I can't even picture it. Milhouse would have a different personality, of course. It would probably be like every other 1980's group of kids shows (to say the least, we'd have a prerequisite "Sporty kid"). Given it's the 1980's, it would have shared one common trait with the Simpsons... Nancy Cartwright. Cuz she was in almost everything back then.
It would have been nothing special, of course.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think both UNCLE GUS and LONGHAIR AND DOUBLEDOME had potential to be series . . . they had potential enough to merit B-shorts that rarely saw the light of day (the former of which involved Uncle Gus entering Flapjack in a horse race, the latter had Doubledome "inventing" fire and naming it Bob while treating it like its his child).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There was another one that I can't quite remember much about it, but it involved a cat who was a detective, and his slow-witted dog cop sidekick. I recall the suspect in their case was an elderly man who kept complaining that their question was causing his "hot cereal to get cold." I seem to recall it was pretty interesting.

It may have been nice to see David Feiss's LOST CAT go to series, after the success of COW AND CHICKEN and I AM WEASEL and doing those Cheetos and Kid Cuisine commercials around the same time, he certainly had a lot going for him - however, I could see the premise getting stale after a while: a stray cat constantly scamming his way into a home? That'd get kind of old after a while.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Okay, I know this thread is mostly for older pilots that'll definitely never beome actual series, but there are several newer pilots and shorts that I think would make really great series, but probably never will be.

For instance, there's this one. It's about a teenage orphan who lives near a cemetery with a bunch of ghosts. It's a lot less dark then it sounds:

Also, I really love this short that was made for Nickelodeon's 2015 animated shorts program. It's called "Magic Children Doing Things" and I think it's very funny, sweet and has some very interesting characters. It actually reminds me a little of "Harvey Beaks". I like the fact that it seems really cute, but it actually has a lot of dark humor:

Nick actually has a bunch of these shorts on their website:
http://www.nick.com/short-toons/

And here's a Cartoon Network short that I like. It has a bit of a "Regular Show" feel to it:

Drtooth

Reaction score
For a really old one, I remember reading in the book "The Moose that Roared" that the last thing Jay Ward productions did outside of Cap'n Crunch commercials was a series called "Rah Rah Woozy" about a mouse playing college football. Ward was a big fan of College Football, you see. Hence the Wossamotta U Bullwinkle arc. Now other than some thin recap of the premise in said book (I don't feel like digging it out right now), there's little info on it and there's no footage of it anywhere. This was one of the few pilots Ward productions finished, and there are several that just made it to the script/recording stage that also sounded good. Like a Lone Ranger parody where he was old and senile (I think...again, don't wanna dig out the book).

Another old pilot was a Jeffery Scott written, Ruby Spears produced "Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew" cartoon series. Now, I really feel that this could have been the same sort of wacky super hero show like the 1979 Plastic Man series that made up for the lack of allowed violence with wackiness, and Captain Carrot really deserves to be something more than a footnote in DC comics. Too bad it never became a cartoon, otherwise the comic would have become mainstream (same way a certain Turtle based comic and big blue insane super hero did). Sure it got that comeback 3 part special comic series years ago. Other than that there's like..some Robot Chicken skit. Only time they were ever animated.