"Animal, cool it back there!"

Princeton

Reaction score
I just thought of this today. Is Animal capable of playing the drums calmly? The reason I ask is because sometimes on TMS, the Electric Mayhem play some pretty laidback and mellow songs that don't call for Animal's wildness. So, do you think that Animal is able to play the drums softly or does the EM have another drummer for the more low-key songs?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yeah, Animal' capable of it - you said it yourself - the EM have done mellow songs.

Animal is first and foremost a drummer. A wild one, but a drummer nonetheless. He's never been described as a monster or creature or whatever...always a drummer. Despite his eccentricities he can keep a beat; i think just the joy of hitting something outweights his desire for tempo - the fast wild numbers are just a particular thrill!

Of course that doesn't mean that he's ALWAYS going to behave during the slower songs...Sonny, the classical opening in Zero Mostel episodes, numerous songs that end with a extra Animal flourish, Dudley Moore closing number...i also suspect that over the years Floyd has come up with techniques for mellowing Animal beforehand!

And it's not like Animal doesn't have his mellow sensitive side - he cries, he meditates, he loves to cuddle with bunny rabbits, he cries singing Danny Boy; he's not just a crazed ball of energy that can't handle the slow stuff.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
He can, the question is, does he want to? Minute A Major was one example of being FORCED into it by Sam, but he seemed mellow when playing 'Yesterday', 'Sad Song', 'I beleive in Music', 'Good Bye Yellow Brick Road',

minor muppetz

Reaction score
He can, the question is, does he want to? Minute A Major was one example of being FORCED into it by Sam, but he seemed mellow when playing 'Yesterday', 'Sad Song', 'I beleive in Music', 'Good Bye Yellow Brick Road',
When did Animal perform a performance of Yesterday? I don't think it was ever performed on The Muppet Show.

dwmckim

Reaction score
What would some of these songs be? I don't quite know what you mean.
Moments when a song is generally over but Animal keeps going or adds a little bit at the end - i'm sure there are several examples but the one that comes to mind is when Dr. Teeth stops the band address the newly arrived Kermit and Fozzie in the Muppet Movie (Zoot has to be stopped as well!) Moments that end with (like the title of the thread says) a "Cool it Animal" or maybe even a little self-satisfied laugh from Animal.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
When did Animal perform a performance of Yesterday? I don't think it was ever performed on The Muppet Show.
Roy Clark episode, he was drumming and also, cause probably from Franks arm being tired, sleeping, he passes out on the drumb set twice when its a wide shot then wakes back up. Zoot, Floyd, a flute player, and Rowlf where also in the pit, and Muppy was nuzzled to Roy's leg.