And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So people are still belly aching over BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, and in fact, not surprisingly, moral guardians and parental groups are not only calling for a boycott of the movie, but are calling for all-out boycott against Disney in general, demanding people no longer watch Disney movies, visit Disney themeparks, or buy Disney merchandise. See? Just like in 2007, when J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore, and suddenly people were burning Harry Potter books and accusing her of brainwashing our kids into accepting this "evil cult." That's what people are saying now: that Disney is trying to brainwashing our tender, innocent children into believing homosexuality is okay.

Sad.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
So people are still belly aching over BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, and in fact, not surprisingly, moral guardians and parental groups are not only calling for a boycott of the movie, but are calling for all-out boycott against Disney in general, demanding people no longer watch Disney movies, visit Disney themeparks, or buy Disney merchandise. See? Just like in 2007, when J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore, and suddenly people were burning Harry Potter books and accusing her of brainwashing our kids into accepting this "evil cult." That's what people are saying now: that Disney is trying to brainwashing our tender, innocent children into believing homosexuality is okay.

Sad.
I'm currently in the midst of a discussion on this on Facebook. It's unbelievable. :stick_out_tongue:

dwayne1115

Reaction score

Sad.
Well back in early 90's the Southern Baptists boycotted all things Disney when they started having "gay day at there parks. So this dose not suprisr me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just for the record, this is why we stopped having pledge drives at PBS after 2005 . . . well, part of the reason why. At the time, there was a religious group going around and calling for a boycott of all PBS shows including SST, Arthur, Clifford, and whatever other shows were on PBS at the time, because they were accusing these shows of "brainwashing our kids into believing tolerance is okay," and of course, with this being a uber-red state in the heart of the Bible Belt, our funding took a dramatic dip - they tried to make up for it by increasing the minimum pledge amount from $20 to $25 per child, but that didn't help, so we stopped having pledge drives after that and basically just stuck with private funding instead. (I believe this was over that infamous "Two Mommies" episode of POSTCARDS FROM BUSTER that was never aired).

Like I said, it's amazing (and not in a good way, mind you) how instanteous America's regression back to being an intolerant and hateful country was. Again, there was some progress made during Obama's eight years, but that immediately flew out the window when Trump stepped in.

jvcarroll

Reaction score

Sad.
None of those boycotts mean a thing. The ones that seem to actually come from progressives. Ha! At least we're strong with something. This whole thing reminds me of ABC's the Muppets' joke about the one million moms malarkey by depicting it as three people picketing. :stick_out_tongue:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Just for the record, this is why we stopped having pledge drives at PBS after 2005 . . . well, part of the reason why. At the time, there was a religious group going around and calling for a boycott of all PBS shows including SST, Arthur, Clifford, and whatever other shows were on PBS at the time, because they were accusing these shows of "brainwashing our kids into believing tolerance is okay," and of course, with this being a uber-red state in the heart of the Bible Belt, our funding took a dramatic dip - they tried to make up for it by increasing the minimum pledge amount from $20 to $25 per child, but that didn't help, so we stopped having pledge drives after that and basically just stuck with private funding instead. (I believe this was over that infamous "Two Mommies" episode of POSTCARDS FROM BUSTER that was never aired).

Like I said, it's amazing (and not in a good way, mind you) how instanteous America's regression back to being an intolerant and hateful country was. Again, there was some progress made during Obama's eight years, but that immediately flew out the window when Trump stepped in.
Are pledge drives even still around anymore?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I don't really think America has regressed at all. We just hadn't dealt with these issues head on, so they never truly went away. But now, after having a black president who is a supporter of the LGBT community and with everyone giving their opinions on the internet, it's just made certain prejudices more obvious.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are pledge drives even still around anymore?
Not that I know of.
I don't really think America has regressed at all. We just hadn't dealt with these issues head on, so they never truly went away. But now, after having a black president who is a supporter of the LGBT community and with everyone giving their opinions on the internet, it's just made certain prejudices more obvious.
But I mean outcry against things like this were dwindling during the years Obama was in Office - heck, outcry over the supposed lesbian couple in FINDING DORY was miniscule compared to this, and again, this is virtually similar in every way to pre-Obama outcry over Dumbledore being outed resulting in parents and religious groups burning Harry Potter books.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Not that I know of.
They still have them in my area, only, it's not usually during the PBS Kids hours. it's usually either at night, on weekends or they cut into the kids programing by showing some boring video about managing finances or concerts with women singing Celtic music and than asking for money.
But I mean outcry against things like this were dwindling during the years Obama was in Office - heck, outcry over the supposed lesbian couple in FINDING DORY was miniscule compared to this, and again, this is virtually similar in every way to pre-Obama outcry over Dumbledore being outed resulting in parents and religious groups burning Harry Potter books.
Here's my personal opinion. I hope this post makes sense:
Prejudices don't just come and go like a bad cold, they stay like a disease. And sure, some people get cured over time, but some people reject the cure and they pass the disease down to their kids. Yes, things have undoubtedly gotten better over time, but when things start to get better, that's arguably the worse situation to be in, because, at least when things are obviously bad we can fight it, but when what we were fighting for starts to become the norm, it becomes harder to see the prejudices because they become more subtle; often times it's because the prejudice person is afraid to admit that they have that problem. Or it's because, they're afraid they're ideals are being pushed aside. But when the prejudice people have something to latch onto, like a group of people who agree with their ideals, they begin to feel more empowered, so they start getting louder, people wonder where these people came from, but the fact is they were always there. It's like how, in the 60s, We made great progress with the Civil Rights movement, but it got pushed aside because of other major events of that decade such as JFK's assassination and the Vietnam War. And than, because we stopped talking about racial issues, and because people of color gained their rights by law, many people thought that racism was over, so they stopped talking about it, for the most part. So they didn't continue to deal with the deeply ingrained ideals that had been around since slavery (and earlier), so it never went away. And then, those riots in the 90s happened, and then those police shootings. And people were shocked! They thought racism was dealt with, and now there it was, just as bad as it was 50 years ago. How could this have happened? Well, it came from ideals and feelings that had been bottled up for generations and never dealt with, none of it is new. In fact, people rarely paid much attention to people in the LGBT community getting killed and discriminated against until fairly recently. It was always there, people (and I think news outlets are partially to blame) just weren't paying attention to it.

DISCLAIMER: This is all my opinion. If any of you want to disagree, please do so in a civil manner. Also, when I mention police shootings, i'm not necessarily saying one way or the other if I think the police involved were racist or not, I'm just referring to certain other people's reaction to the details of the shootings.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, is anybody going to boycott this upcoming live action DUMBO movie for starring Eva Green, considering she's done some really explicit sex movies in the past?