American Idol

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I'm generally not too into much contemporary pop culture, and definitely not the reality TV trend, but I've been hooked on "American Idol" since the first episode of the first season. Now it's time for the second set of finalists to have their showdown. Anybody watching have a favorite? Clay intrigued me from the beginning, and he very quickly became my favorite in the competition. So genuine, so adorable, and what a voice!!! :flirt: I turn into a puddle of goo listening to him. I can't wait to go out and buy his album (I'm guessing/hoping no matter what happens he'll make one...)
Erin

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i've never like american idol.....the only reality show i like is Big Brother....sure it's trashy, but during the summer you're so bored you don't care!

Sarah

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
I'm really into American Idol now. I can't wait to see who wins. I'm SO mad they got rid of Frenchie Davis! Anyone know why???

Jake

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I admit to watching Idol. I was hooked half way through last season and have been fairly faithful so far. I think it's funny that people find Simon so mean. Sure, he plays it up for the camera, but that's how auditions are. It isn't the right industry for the thin-skinned. Paula's job is to soften the blow.

I kind of like Vanessa and Trenyce so far. It's tough this year because there are only about two people in the top 12 who aren't that good. Clay is technically the best singer, but he has more of a Broadway voice than a pop one. Just a bit too smooth and clean cut for the radio, but he is a fantastic singer.

I can'e believe I watch that show, but of all the reality programs, it seems to actually have a point. There's no eating bugs, there's no backstabbing - just talented kids trying to make it.

P. S. Frenchy posed in questionable photographs that leaked out onto the web. That's why she is out of the competition. It was in the rules. I agree, it's very sad she's gone. She has a powerful voice and added a lot of energy to the competition.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Yes, I really liked Frenchie too and was sorry to see her go. Though I'd still be rooting for Clay! (I've gone over the line of obsession here...) I agree that "American Idol" isn't like these other reality tv shows. It's all about talent, with a few other factors mixed in, but basically it depends on how well they do and how we vote. So each person just has to go out and do the best they can. And everyone is so supportive of one another. You grow to truly care about these people. I think Trenyce is extremely talented. I also really like Josh, Julia, and Ruben. I can't wait until Tuesday - I hear that they're all singing Billy Joel songs and he will be there himself. That'll be great!
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Oh, and I also think that Simon isn't so bad. I think he's a really nice guy at heart. But I also think that he can be unnecessarily cruel. Unfortunately, one of the most popular parts of the show is the bad auditions, and there's huge entertainment value in watching Simon lambaste these poor kids who don't make the grade. We laugh because he is so witty and they are so lousy (and I have laughed myself at many of these auditions) but we forget that these are real people too and that they've just been humiliated on national television. So I'm not crazy about that part. That's the part that makes it most in line with the other reality tv shows. I truly hope those people don't stop singing altogether, if it's what they really love, just because Simon told them they were awful. Maybe they'll never come close to a career, but it's a joy they shouldn't be denied.
Erin

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I've probaly only watched 5-6 shows and not in full, I did watch the ep of the some of the singers who didn't have a chance...lol, i could not belive it! it was too funny!

I don't really care for the show though, i think there are too many out there spining off of it with marrying someone you never met, sexist person, millonars who where not really millonars, celeberties living in the jungle, who aren't really even known, the only one i knew was Robin Leech! yet i don't know anything.

It just adds to the fact that there is nothing on TV, the only new show's that i really watch is Everybody Loves Ranmond, the rest are rerun shows or cartoons they don't make anymore, just about, rules can bend...it is TV we are talking about here!

zack

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by sarah_yzma
i've never like american idol.....the only reality show i like is Big Brother....sure it's trashy, but during the summer you're so bored you don't care!

Sarah
Yeah, you'd really be surprised how much crap people watch during the summer when it's all reruns. (Foz, that's your cue)

I watch Spy Kids marathons during the summer! :concern: :sympathy: :confused: :cry: :embarrassed:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zack the Dog
I don't really care for the show though, i think there are too many out there spining off of it with marrying someone you never met, sexist person, millonars who where not really millonars, celeberties living in the jungle, who aren't really even known, the only one i knew was Robin Leech! yet i don't know anything.
I agree that all those shows are ridiculous. I especially couldn't believe it when I heard the premises of "Joe Millionaire" and "Married By America." Argh! But "American Idol" didn't start this whole Reality TV craze. It was alive and well long before that; "Survivor" was already in its third or fourth manifestation! I don't know how much further they can take this... But at least in "American Idol" the contestants aren't stabbing each other in the back all the time.
Erin

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
i've watched a few shows of american idol, but i really hate reality tv in general, so that's why i don't watch american idol every week. that and i don't really care who wins because whoever wins will be out of the singing career in a few years to about 5 years at the most. look how kelly clarkson has fadded from the spotlight, although she has a movie coming out in the next few months..ughhhh.....

ryan