American Idol Puppets

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Anyone catch last nights American Idol? There was a commercial of the current Idols singing Diggable Planet's "Rebirth of Slick" and they were full size puppet versions of themselves, pretty cool I thought.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
I saw it - pretty cool!

I auditioned for it ... but I was too tall.

It's great to see puppetry in wider application (at least in commercials.)

- Scraps

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Wow, awesome info guys! Now, were the puppeteers operating just the heads? Or were they the bodies as well?
And are there any pics of the puppets?

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
A friend of mine - Russ got cast. And I met Sean at a Swazzle audition last summer. Small world!

The puppets were not complete, but I got to wear a "head" and "hand" when I auditioned. I'm not sure if they changed the operation, but I operated the jaw with my right hand, keeping my arm in tight to my body. The Left hand was practical.

I might have been fooled by really effective editing, but it looked as if both hands were practical in the commercial. (I know they doubled the puppeteers with dancers, so maybe I was just fooled.)

Neat idea. Basically human-size arm puppets.

-- Scraps

gfarkwort

Reaction score
How tall are you ScrapsFlippy? baecause I know I'm around the same size as Sean Johnson

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
6' 1".

The first thing the casting dude asked me when he saw me was "How tall are you?" (It was more of a statement than a question.)

Eh. Tall enough for Bear.

He told me that they were looking for shorter puppeteers, since they were doubling the puppeteers with dancers. Dancers are short. I guess.

The only professional dancers I know are a former Rockette and a "You Got Served" co-star. They're both pretty tall. Eh.

I will say this ... We puppeteers have an extraordinary advantage over other performers: I found out about a national commercial audition on a public job board (at the LA Puppet Guild.) I sent off one e-mail, had one phone conversation, and got my audition. I know actors with agents and managers who can't bag a national commercial audition. Wow.

BTW - anyone observe the arms? Good editing or some sort of mouth control mechanism? I didn't notice a fishline hook-up on the "dead arm" like Big Bird and Bear have.

-- Scraps

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I've got it taped on VHS, I'm gonna' check it out again.