American Dad Moving to TBS

Drtooth

Reaction score
I dunno. I'd hate to say end my favorite Seth MacFarline show that's vastly superior than the more famous one... but 11 seasons is a bit much. Especially since it never had any merchandise since the show first started.

I'd think Bob's Burgers (much as I'd hate to have to find somewhere to watch it) would benefit more from a cable network bump. It doesn't seem to fit in with the Simpsons/Family Guy type shows on the Fox Sunday Night line up.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I....don't really care. I used to really like that show, but now, it's just a carbon copy of Family Guy. I think the overexposure of Roger is what killed it for me. It used to be really clever political satire, but now it's just the "Alien who is obviously an alien, but wears wigs that fool everybody into thinking he's human, and does sick, depraved things that are easily forgiven because gosh-darn-it-he's-just-so-adorable" show (oh yeah, and there's a CIA agent, his wife, their two kids, and a talking fish in there someplace, but, that's not important). It wouldn't be so bad, if Roger was a character who did jerky, or even sometimes cruel things, but still had some redeeming qualities, but he doesn't. The fact that he's actually the most popular character among the fanbase is also, quite frankly, a tad nauseating (hey, for as much as I sometimes complained when Pepe was overexposed, at least he has some redeeming traits!).

Rant over. But yeah, American Dad isn't funny anymore to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The show is still good when it's experimental. Blood Crieth onto Heaven and Lost in Space were brilliant. And it is still better than Family Guy. At least Stan didn't turn into a manchild like Peter did. I agree with whoever said it. American Dad became a better show when it stopped ranting about stuff and started focusing on weird plot lines and their own characters. They thankfully haven't fallen back into ranting too much. Just like one time to complain about people that don't want the government to help anybody, then never again.

I do agree that Roger has become Flanderized. It depends on how weird his personality Du Jour is. I still like the character and all, but they went pretty overboard a while ago, and they feel they have to keep that up.

robodog

Reaction score
I'll miss seeing it on Fox's Sunday Night line up but I'll gladly follow it to TBS.

Roger is a funny character but he's also one of the most immoral characters on television and really has no redeeming qualities anymore. It's possible to create a character with vices who makes immoral choices yet still give them a few redeeming qualities. Look at Bender from Futurama. They haven't really done this with Roger. He's a likeable character because he's funny not because he has any admirable qualities. Roger is a terrible person and any real person with his personality would either be in jail serving multiple life sentences or dead in a gutter somewhere.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To me, the real problem is they just can't seem to get off the broken record of Steve trying to get some at 14. It was funny before, but they used that plot one time too many. I rather ones where Stan forces something on him instead.