Abby: Witchcraft on SST?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, DC and Labyrinth was technically more for adults ... technically.

Anyway, yeah ... magic has ALWAYS been in the Hensonverse.
You're right. TMS and the fantasy pics are more of a general audience thing, but still are considered under the "family" banner. I've never quite been comfortable with that assignation since conservatives co-opted the term "family values" for a specific religious and political idea. I like the term "general audience" better, but that has a kiddification assumption to it.

How about the idea that the name Sesame comes from "open sesame" as a pseudo-magic term to open up the world of learning? It seems to me these sorts of criticisms come from those sorts of people who don't really watch Sesame anyway.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Scarecrow: But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?
:big_grin:
These people protest too much, considering a lot of times they have no idea what they're really arguing about. They are intellectually and emotionally shallow ... like ... two-dimensional shallow.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. That stuff bothers me too. In fact I once had a minister at church who was against Harry Potter and stuff like that. It seems like people are too judgemental. Plus being a fan of 'Sabrina, the Teenage Wich,' I have reason to take offense there.

chudman1000

Reaction score
Well I guess we have to ban the story of Cinderella now because the Godmother uses "witchcraft" to get her to the ball! :rolleyes:

Seriously though that is pretty ridiculous. She is a FAIRY...as in FAIRY tales! Besides there were witch characters in Sesame Street when we we were growing up, not to mention many other children's shows, and it never had any impact on us!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I wonder if the same group ever despised Mickey Mouse? After all, he WAS the sorcerer's apprentice!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Uh, I saw one clip of it, but aren't the only students fairies? Would a bird school not be expected to teach flying? I realize THESE parents probably aren't capable of defining reality for their kids, but it doesn't take too much effort to explain that Fairy School helps Fairies learn things not taught in Regular School, just as there are specialty schools in the real world.
I totally agree with you here. I was originally dubious about a fairy on Sesame Street (I'm not a fan of magic in real-life such as Harry Potter) however, I am a huge fan of magic in imagination and in fantasy worlds as something you can secretly believe exists. But, Abby won me over right away because she's Species Fairy, and therefore should obviously both practice and be taught magic.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
BTW: Let's say the 'group saying this' and not say 'the Christians saying this,' because that's too broad. I'm Christian and think the group saying this is ridiculous. It's not all Christans, but that group.

Oops, I was judgemental and called them ridiculous for calling a puppet evil. It's as bad as that time the one televangelist (ha ha) who called Yoda a demon because he has 3 fingers. That would mean Gonzo and Snoopy are evil.

I think what we run into is that folks talk without thinking.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still love Yoda and his demony fingers - no matter what. :flirt: