Abby: Witchcraft on SST?

Drtooth

Reaction score
For starters, I'm surprised that some crackpot pseudo-Christian fear and control group in our own country didn't point it out first... I mean, after all, Sesame Street is apparently an evil liberal organization indoctrinating our kids because they insulted an All American news channel bought and paid for by an Australian who clearly doesn't indoctrinate or brainwash adults at all.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Secondly, any idiot who's so afraid that some kid's going to pick up the Necronomicon and unleash the beasts of Hades because they watch a puppet turn things into pumpkins shouldn't be allowed to have access to anything. Really... these fear based organizations are what's wrong with organized religion, and it eclipses the people who actually want to do good (help the poor hungry and downtrodden like the religions actually say we should do).

I don't want to go into anything any further, but it's all about fear and control, and beating down a kid's show that has given so much to the world shows how corrupt and evil these organizations (who are more associated with the OTHER guy... the one with the horns) really are. I think critics like this and Fox Ooze are no better than the Palestinian and Israeli nationals that whine about how Rechov Sumsum (and that other one) brainwash their kids with the "evil" and "despicable" message of love and peace. These people make Sam the Eagle blush at their prudishness :attitude:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
They don't want kids to have imaginations about magic (even stupid, "kid-safe" nonsense magic) because that would open their minds out of their boxes and they might just start to *gasp* think.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I have to say, Abby as a character doesn't really bother me, but I must admit, the Flying Fairy School made me feel a little uncomfortable. Not that I agree that Sesame Street would promote "witchcraft," but I couldn't help feeling a little uncomfortable about the idea of a school teaching magic. Just my opinion. I REALLY hope I don't get flamed for saying it.

But, I'm curious... do these same people have an issue with Harry Potter? That's out-and-out witchcraft, but it seems every kid on the planet is (or was) obsessed with it, with no problem.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
And Cookie Monster must be censored because he represents Gluttony - one of the seven deadly sins. :insatiable:

The stupidity of these groups is responsible for the watering down of Sesame Street over the years. These people either need to live in a bubble somewhere or go totally Amish. It's funny how these organizations cherry pick what offends them. Sesame Street has had magic before...Mumford anyone? :search:

I’d claim to be surprised, but expected this sort of thing to happen eventually. I predict an eventual backlash to such groups in the future. Poor Abby (in a sarcastic CBN tone) when she develops a life-threatening purple-fur disease she will have only herself to blame for the divine punishment. :stick_out_tongue:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Not that I agree that Sesame Street would promote "witchcraft," but I couldn't help feeling a little uncomfortable about the idea of a school teaching magic.
Uh, I saw one clip of it, but aren't the only students fairies? Would a bird school not be expected to teach flying? I realize THESE parents probably aren't capable of defining reality for their kids, but it doesn't take too much effort to explain that Fairy School helps Fairies learn things not taught in Regular School, just as there are specialty schools in the real world.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
A more seriously Muppety note...

Can anyone name all the times the Muppets of Sesame Street, the Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal and countless other Henson productions have used the term or practice of magic?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, DC and Labyrinth was technically more for adults ... technically.

Anyway, yeah ... magic has ALWAYS been in the Hensonverse.