Abandoned Animals on Sesame Street

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
It seems ironic that over the years 3 Muppet Animals were introduced with an owner and that owner left the show, and the animal remained and never got a new owner.

Wolfgang the Seal, who was introduced in late 1989 was originally Uncle Wally's pet Seal. Uncle Wally left the show in 1992 and Wolfgang remained on the show until the late 80's

Barkley the Dog was adopted by Linda in 1986/1987 Linda left the show after the 2002 Season and Barkley was left behind with no new owner even mentioned.

Buster the Horse was Forgetful Jone's Horse until 1992 when Forgetful Jones left the show, Buster remained on the show after Forgetful left, and there was never any mention of Forgetful by Buster.

Strange how animals seem to get abandoned on Sesame Street of all places.:stick_out_tongue:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Call 911

Somebody should call the ASPCMA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Muppet Animals.) You're right, it is interesting especially considering that one of SS's underlying messages is about treating each other in a nice way and doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. This kindness should extend to animals as well, especially domesticated ones who due to their adaptedness to living with humans don't usually do to well on their own.

BEAR

Reaction score
You could probably also put Little Murray Sparkles in this group. He was the cat of a little Anything Muppet girl named Elizabeth. Elizabeth has been written out of the show for a few years, but LMS has since appeared without her either by himself or with another character.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
SesameStreetFan said:
It seems ironic that over the years 3 Muppet Animals were introduced with an owner and that owner left the show, and the animal remained and never got a new owner.

Wolfgang the Seal, who was introduced in late 1989 was originally Uncle Wally's pet Seal. Uncle Wally left the show in 1992 and Wolfgang remained on the show until the late 80's

Barkley the Dog was adopted by Linda in 1986/1987 Linda left the show after the 2002 Season and Barkley was left behind with no new owner even mentioned.

Buster the Horse was Forgetful Jone's Horse until 1992 when Forgetful Jones left the show, Buster remained on the show after Forgetful left, and there was never any mention of Forgetful by Buster.

Strange how animals seem to get abandoned on Sesame Street of all places.:stick_out_tongue:
I think you're being a little bit overly dramatic here.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Perhaps people on SS are looking after them like they look after Big Bird. Everyone looks after Big Bird, so why not the abandoned pets.

Is Barkley still on?

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
If I had to guess what fates befell these muppet animals, these would be them!

1) I believe Oscar the Grouch adopted Wolfgang the seal! Think about this now! Oscar already had a vast assortment of pets (a worm, at least one elephant, possibly a hippo & a warthog, a seal would seem like an appropriate addition, n'est-ce pas?), he had a swimming pool wherein Wolfgang could reside, & both it gave gave Oscar a legitimate reason to have an abundance of smelly, raw fish stocked in his can!

2) I think Buster moved in with Marshall Grover's "wonder horse" Fred. Think about it! They're both horses, they could both talk, & they were both owned by cowboys who although were good-hearted, were not exceptionally bright! The other posibility is that Forgetfull forgot where he lived & Buster moved in with Clementine, who is now a shut-in (we don't see her anymore either)!

3) I've got nothing for Barkley. The only things I can come up with are he either moved in with Susan, Gordon, & Miles (they seemed to have the biggest apartment), Linda left Barkley with Bob (they dated on the show for years), or he stays in the veterinary clinic that Gina opened up in the arbour of Sesame Street. Come to think of it, I don't remember it ever being established where Linda went! Is it possible Barkley ate her (he is a big dog, after all)?!?

These would be my absolutely ridiculous (albeit somewhat rational) assumptions!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Chris Gawley said:
2) The other posibility is that Forgetfull forgot where he lived
Yeah I always thought that was the case too, lol. That would be a nice end to the series (if it ever does), having him suddenly show up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chris Gawley said:
3) I've got nothing for Barkley. The only things I can come up with are he either moved in with Susan, Gordon, & Miles (they seemed to have the biggest apartment), Linda left Barkley with Bob (they dated on the show for years), or he stays in the veterinary clinic that Gina opened up in the arbour of Sesame Street. Come to think of it, I don't remember it ever being established where Linda went! Is it possible Barkley ate her (he is a big dog, after all)?!?
Oddly, Barkley does appear occasionally in newer kids books. Plus, I SWEAR I saw him last year during Elmo's trike song.

Also, did you notice that certain anything animal puppets (chickens, pnguins,etc.) started looking less and less like their TMS counterparts after the EMTV deal?