A Very Muppet-y Monday Mélange

bknatchbull

Reaction score
Hello,

This was taken from an article written by Jim Hill over at JimHilMedia.com.
What do you all think?

Have fun reading!

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, gang!

Between all of those post-Halloween hangovers out there (not to mention the pre-election jitters), I would imagine that there are a lot of JHM readers who are hurting this morning. Who might be in need of a little entertainment. Which is why I thought that it might be time for another Monday Mélange. You know? That somewhat regular feature here at the site where we quickly touch on several Disney-related stories?

And -- speaking of stories -- last Tuesday, we did an article about all the Muppet stuff that be can be found in NYC's "World of Disney" store. Well, as part of that piece, I mentioned the marvelous Muppet-themed balloon sculpture that can be seen next to the stairwell from the store's second and third floor. Which a "World of Disney" manager told me was a one-of-a-kind commission for the 5th Avenue Store.

Well, that marvelous metal-and-wood sculpture is a one-of-a-kind. But -- truth be told -- it WASN'T built just for the "World of Disney" store. According to one Henson Company insider, this piece of art actually has a much more interesting history:

The hot air balloon sculpture that you mentioned actually came from the Henson New York Office. The sculpture is called "The Great Hot Air Balloon Circus" and was created by John Kahn and John Henson (Jim's son). The sculpture hung in the Henson Townhouse office at 117 East 69th Street for many years -- and was really the focal point of the building.

When the company decided to relocate (there will still be a NY office and workshop, but the townhouse was too big for the company's NY needs), there was some discussion about what to do with the sculpture. I believe there was talk about just packing it up in boxes and I think someone at Disney (maybe Chris Curtin) suggested that there may be a display opportunity at the store.

So, the sculpture was dismantled and refurbished and installed at WOD. Unfortunately, there is no signage to indicate the very unique history of this very special piece. (This may be the only really historic piece of art at the store!!).

Speaking of Muppet-related news, "The Muppets Wizard of Oz" is scheduled to wrap production later this week. This TV movie (which is still tentatively slated on air on ABC's 'The Wonderful World of Disney" in May of 2005) has been shooting for the past six weeks up in North Vancouver's Lions Gate Studios. And -- based on the buzz that's been coming off the set -- things seem to have gone pretty well on this shoot.

Mind you, that isn't to say that "The Muppets Wizard of Oz" didn't hit a few snags back in September as shooting was initially getting underway. Chief among these was that the film's human star -- R&B star Ashanti -- had to learn how to work with Kermit & Co.

As one "Oz" insider explained:

Look, it's not as if Ashanti hasn't been in front of a camera before. After all, the woman's done some music videos, plus a little television. That "Buffy" episode last year as well as her appearance as Dionne Warwick on "American Dreams." And -- just over the past year -- she's started working in film. Ashanti's got a cameo in next month's 'Bride and Prejudice' as well as a juicy supporting role in January's 'Coach Carter.'

But acting in a Muppet movie is different. It can be a really daunting task to some performers. Just the physical challenges of the shoot -- always making sure that you make eye contact with the puppet, NOT the puppeteer; avoiding all of the holes in the set as you try & perform your scenes -- has undone much more seasoned performers than Ashanti.

So -- sure -- she had a rough couple of days when "Oz" first got underway. But Kirk [Thatcher, the director of "The Muppets Wizard of Oz"] worked closely with Ashanti. Helped ease her into what it was like to work with the Muppets. By the second week of the shoot, she was fine. Ashanti was hitting all her marks without worrying about falling off of the raised parts of the set. She was also relating well with the puppets. Not to mention turning in a pretty decent performance as Dorothy.

I think that people are going to be pleasantly surprised by what Ashanti does in "The Muppets Wizard of Oz."

Mind you, this Henson veteran wasn't upbeat about all aspects of this upcoming production. During our recent chat, he had some real concerns about the TV movie's script as well as some interesting things to say about the film's executive producer, Brian Henson:

I wish "Oz" 's script had been better. I mean, the teleplay was okay. But it's really easy to tell that four different writers worked on this thing. There's such an obvious shift in tone in certain sections of the script.

That's why I miss the days when Jerry Juhl used to do most of the writing for the Muppet movies & TV shows. Jerry really had perfect pitch when it came to creating great new stories & skits for the characters to perform. I wish that Disney would bring Juhl back into the Muppet fold.

Speaking of Disney ... It was really interesting to watch how those Disney execs handled Brian Henson. Normally, Brian acts as sort of a backseat director on all these modern Muppet projects. Calling the shots on how many times a particular scene gets shot, which take gets used in the final cut of the film, etc.

Well, Henson thought that he was going to be able to do the same sort of thing with "The Muppets Wizard of Oz." Tell Kirk how he was going to direct his movie. But Disney quickly shut Brian down. Insisting that it would be Mouse House execs -- rather than Jim's son -- who'd now be riding herd on Mr. Thatcher. Making sure that "The Muppets Wizard of Oz" stayed on track.

Understandably miffed, Brian quickly bailed on "Oz." Insisting that his talents were urgently needed elsewhere as part of the promotion of the "Farscape" mini-series. Rather than admit that he'd be cuffed by Chris Curtin [general manager of the Muppet Holding Company, the arm of the Disney corporation that actually controls Kermit & Co].

Given what a bully Brian has been over the past 14 years, it did a lot of our hearts good to see Mickey finally put him in his place during the early days of the "Oz" production. So maybe with Brian out of the way, this Disney acquisition thing will work out after all.

Well, the Walt Disney Company is certainly hoping to get more out of the Muppets in the not-so-distant future. Just last week, I learned that Disney's toying with the idea of putting a Muppet-based Christmas show in the theme parks next year. Plus Curtin's said to already casting about for a follow-up project for "The Muppets Wizard Of Oz." (Though I'm told that Disney management is really reluctant to commit to much of anything 'til they see how well this ABC TV movie does next May. If "Oz" does well enough in the ratings, this could throw up the door to a new Muppet TV movie becoming an annual event at the alphabet network. If not, Piggy & pals may wind up working on low budget projects for Playhouse Disney. So the Muppets' fate could really be riding on how well "Wizard" does during the May 2005 sweeps. Anyway ... )

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Where do these people get off Brian is the man he needs to be more in charge

HE IS JIMS SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erine81981

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be like dwayne and saying that Disney doesn't have the guns to do this I'm not. Its kind of saying that Brian can't help that he would get in the way. That is rude to say those things. I hope that Jerry would come back to do some work w/ the muppets. As well as Frank Oz too.

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
As I said on another board earlier, the stuff about Brian is not true. Brian is not on the set because he is directing something in LA, not because he is mad. He is the executive producer of the movie, so he can do pretty much what he wants. :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Good Im glad i hope he is still doing sal and scooter and Janice

Erine81981

Reaction score
WOCKA2416 said:
As I said on another board earlier, the stuff about Brian is not true. Brian is not on the set because he is directing something in LA, not because he is mad. He is the executive producer of the movie, so he can do pretty much what he wants. :smile:
Thanks for clearing that up for us.

HappinessHotel

Reaction score
The Great and Powerful Wocka

WOCKA2416 said:
I know people at Henson, and I have never heard that before!
You seem to know everything Wocka.

Bubbadog

Reaction score
If "Oz" is as good as Very Merry Muppet Christmas, then the Muppets should be back in business.
I hope I hope.
That is the format they should stick with. It had humor for everyone. Regardless of the toilet humor (Which I did find funny, I noticed someone complained about it before, but it was done tastefully) They should do more with the old Muppet theater stuff. That was what people remember, that is what worked. But I am not sdaying to limit it to just that, they can obviously do outside things, and even cross generation muppet shows. It can work.
I wonder how I can pitch shows to these people, we are long overdue for a new show! :cool: