A question about Slimey the Worm

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Does anyone know when Oscar's pet worm Slimey first appeared on the show? I don't think Slimey was there back in the 70's, I think he first started sometime in the 80's. Does anyone remember the first episode with him on it? Do you remember what the episode was about?, or if it showed Oscar first getting Slimey, or was he just there? If anyone knows please let me know. :grouchy:

BEAR

Reaction score
I'm not so sure. I think he was seen in Follow That Bird (maybe not) and that was around 1985.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that Oscar found Slimey while taking a walk in the rain. He found that Slimey likes mud as much as he does. So he decided to take Slimey home. I haven't really seen it. It's just what I read, so I don't know the year or anything else.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I'm not so sure. I think he was seen in Follow That Bird (maybe not) and that was around 1985.
Slimey wasn't in Follow That Bird (or Elmo In Grouchland), but he did make his first appearance in 1980. I have read that he was originally performed by Michael Earl Davis, who also originally performed Forgetful Jones and performed Snuffy from 1977-1980. Martin P. Robinson took over the role in 1981.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Does anyone know when Oscar's pet worm Slimey first appeared on the show? I don't think Slimey was there back in the 70's, I think he first started sometime in the 80's. Does anyone remember the first episode with him on it? Do you remember what the episode was about?, or if it showed Oscar first getting Slimey, or was he just there? If anyone knows please let me know. :grouchy:
yes he was there back in the 70s because I can remember seeing him on SS before 1980.

Andrew T

Reaction score
I used to feel sorry for Slimey the Worm, since he had to live with Oscar the Grouch. :grouchy:

Censored

Reaction score
Slimey was definitely around in the 70's I remember a specific skit with him from the early to mid 70's when Oscar lost him and Grover kept dressing up to be another pet for him.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Then apparantley Slimey joined the show a lot sooner than I thought he did. He must have made his debut in the 70's then. None of the 70's episodes that were on Noggin ever had Slimey iin them, same with Grungetta.

superfan

Reaction score
So Oscar had Slimey, but he's got a host of other pets as well! (elephant, pigs) But when did Slimey start talking, (he has a high pitched voice which sounds a tad distorted) and who does his voice?

SesameMike

Reaction score
I think I may know when Slimey first debuted.

Back in the early to mid 1970's, there were a number of episodes which focused Oscar tried to isolate himself from the others in one way or another, or in some cases, silence those around him. In one such episode from maybe 1972, Oscar decided to have a padlock installed on his can.

I think it was that guy from the Fix-it Shop from the earlier seasons (Ralph or Rafael?) who installed a latch and a lock on the lid of the garbage can.
Oscar was standing outside the can, watching and directing the installation process, and I'm pretty sure one or more other adults were also present. Once the lock was in place and secured, Oscar demanded "Now open it."

The Fix-it Guy thinks for a second, then says to Oscar "Give me the key." while holding out his hand.

Oscar: "The key is in the can"

The Fix-it Guy can't open it now of course, and Oscar decries "You locked me out."

After considering ways to forcibly pry the lid off, Oscar announces he has a better idea: Slimey. When the adults want to know who/what "Slimey" is, Oscar tells them about his pet worm. He then called toward the can for
Slimey to grab the key which he left on the coffee table. We then saw
the worm make his appearance under the crack beneath the lid, along with what was probably a skeleton key.

True, I can't say with absolute certainty that this was Slimey's very first appearance. But as I've said many times here, I watched the show quite religiously the first 7 odd seasons, and this was the first appearance of the earthworm that I ever encountered.