A new Star Trek series coming in 2017

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm no Trekkie, but this should excite some fans: Star Trek is getting the first new series since Enterprise went off the air a decade ago with Alex Kurtzman, writer of the reboot movies, on board with its development. Who knows if this will take place the same continuity of the movies or if it will be set in the same universe as the past TV shows.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

And the only thing that irks me so far (and I'm certain will do the same for people like D'Snowth) is that it's premiering not on CBS itself, but on their All Access streaming service. I know CBS wants to make it exclusive to its service, but you'd think putting it on Netflix or any other service with a greater viewer base would be a no-brainer. :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
And the only thing that irks me so far (and I'm certain will do the same for people like D'Snowth) is that it's premiering not on CBS itself, but on their All Access streaming service. I know CBS wants to make it exclusive to its service, but you'd think putting it on Netflix or any other service with a greater viewer base would be a no-brainer. :confused:
I'm afraid that would really cut into the budget somehow. I'm not a huge follower of Star Trek, so I don't know if the original series was actually low budget or that was just the technology that was available at the time. I just don't see them giving an internet series as big a budget as a broadcast series, but what do I know? I never really got a chance to watch any of Marvel's Netflix programming. This may just have the same budget a TV series on broadcast would have anyway.

Still, you'd think Star Trek would be a big enough draw, but Star Trek was never about a bunch of Hollywood nerds using computers that don't do what computers do in real life to fight terrorists. That's like 90% of their line up that doesn't have anything to do with Big Bang Theory.

Other than that, I just see this as another thing for the original Star Trek fans to hate for being different. Star Trek was a special show, and what it did under the guise of a space opera was ground breaking. And once ground is broken on anything, it becomes commonplace. It's hard to reverse engineer what made the old series special. And yes, some of it does have an air of 1960's camp value without outright being Batman type campy. That's why later installments are different in tone. Not to mention all the established tropes of the original series have been done to death even in parody.

That said, hilariously, Seth MacFarline intended to get some form of Star Trek back on television.