A Muppet Freak Update

Kiki

Reaction score
Great to see the updates. :smile: I'm really enjoying them, thank you. c: Btw, I hope things improve- I'll keep you in my thoughts! OH- and keep up the great work, when you can. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So are you planning on doing a "Watch Along" article for every episode of The Muppet Show? Do you plan on posting every day? Do you plan on posting all episodes in order?

Those two articles were good. I can't wait until you (hopefully) get around to season three (since you wrote the episode guides for Muppet Central but only included the first two seasons... If you plan on writing about every episode I hope it at least gets farther than Danny Horn's "My Week with The Muppet Show" articles from Tough Pigs).

I keep watching Juliet Prowse's first scene and can't find where Mahna Mahna appears. What part of the area/screen can he be seen at?

dwmckim

Reaction score
So are you planning on doing a "Watch Along" article for every episode of The Muppet Show? Do you plan on posting every day? Do you plan on posting all episodes in order?
Yes, no, and yes. Definately all TMS episodes and they'll be Watch Along's for other stuff too. Won't be daily though since (1) not enough time to do a daily article and (2) this will be one feature of the blog and i still want to write about other stuff too!

There's a lot of stuff to comment on given that these were the first two and they were both reformatted since their original taping. As i get more into later episodes where there's not as much to say, i'll do two or more episodes in the same post.

Those two articles were good. I can't wait until you (hopefully) get around to season three (since you wrote the episode guides for Muppet Central but only included the first two seasons... If you plan on writing about every episode I hope it at least gets farther than Danny Horn's "My Week with The Muppet Show" articles from Tough Pigs).
That's one of the reasons i wanted to write about the TMS episodes this way. Muppet Wiki pretty much has the episode guide territory covered. My vision was something that presented info but also with fun commentary too - so this approach has more of the "commentary"/review/opinion aspect where the Wiki format's more fact-focused.

I keep watching Juliet Prowse's first scene and can't find where Mahna Mahna appears. What part of the area/screen can he be seen at?
The only way you can see it is to do a freeze frame and look at literally the very last frame before it cuts to Kermit in front of the tabs. Look over Juliet's right shoulder (i.e. left side of the screen) and you can see tufts of Mahna's hair starting to pop up from behind her.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While reading "Watch Along with Connie Stevens" again, you were wondering if Miss Piggy's had cosmetic surgery to have hands instead of hooves. But I think Lydia is the only anthromorphic Muppet pig to have hooves instead of hands.Annie Sue has hands, Link and Strangepork have hands when seen without gloves.

You know what would be interesting for some time in the future? "Watch Along with Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days". But I'd prefer you get through many TMS episodes first.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As i get more into later episodes where there's not as much to say, i'll do two or more episodes in the same post.
I can't imagine there being any episodes of TMS where there's not much to talk about. Even if there's not much known behind-the-scenes or notability, I'm sure every episode has somethignt o make an observation about. Then again, there are some that I can see it being hard to talk much about (Ben Vereen, Theresa Brewer, Jean Stapleton, James Coco, Melissa Manchester, etc.).

dwmckim

Reaction score
You know what would be interesting for some time in the future? "Watch Along with Sesame Street: 40 Years of Sunny Days". But I'd prefer you get through many TMS episodes first.
Well, there's no set order like i'd have to do all the TMS's before doing another kind of Watch Along so i can easily do a 40 Years soon (though i'd still want to get a few more TMS's out of the way first) plus since Muppet Freak is much smaller, much more unknown, and less mass appeal than the bigger Muppet fansites (part of which is by design - i'd rather have something that's not quite for everyone and has that "word of mouth, something special that has to be discovered" aspect with a smaller but devoted group of readers than something that gets a gazillion hits a day and is checked daily by every single Muppet fan on the planet), it's easier (and encouraged) to do stuff based on reader request. Look for a 40 Years watchalong sometime soon.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Watch Joel Grey Along With a Muppet Freak

A third "first episode", Gloat's exhaustion, and weird edits (not just on the dvd):

http://muppetfreak.blogstream.com/v1/pid/443032_WATCH-JOEL-GREY-ALONG-WITH-A-MUPPET-FREAK.html
Good watch-along. I actually dreamt a few weeks ago (perhaps in anticiapation over it) that I was reading the article.

The Joel Grey episode was the first episode I saw from the first season, but the second one I saw (I saw the Elton John episode first). And by coincidence the second and third episodes from the first season that I saw were the following two episodes with Ruth Buzzi and Rita Moreno.

And the episode does have more of a "first episode feel" than the first two (perhaps due in part to the fact that scenes were removed and added later in the production season).

This is also a good episode to think about Miss Piggy's character development. In this episode she doesn't seem to have much of a personality; her scenes could have easily been given to any character (maybe Nigel could have told Kermit Fozzie's jokes were driving him bananas, or Wanda could have been the maid in the detective sketch). It seems like it takes a few episodes before her relationship with Kermit become more common - in the first episode she's really just one in a group of animal characters who admire Kermit, and in the Rita Moreno episode her arguing with Rita isn't out of jealousy but out of her not understanding what she says (and she acts really childish about it... She doesn't seem to act childish like that very often).