A Muppet Family Christmas - PAL VHS

David French

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a second-hand PAL VHS of A Muppet Family Christmas. The label is Palace (same one that released "Go to the Movies", "30 Years" and UK edit of "Muppet Movie".) I would like to know as to which version of the special this is. The duration is 47 minutes, the front cover shows Kermit in a Santa suit and there are three colour photos on the back cover (the Muppets singing the carols in the living room, Jim Henson with Muppets on the front porch and one of Jim and Muppets on set

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
If it's only 47 minutes, then it sounds like an edited version of Muppet Family Christmas. However, since it's a PAL version, that could make a difference- I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I do know the speed is different on PAL and NTSC videos. I'd recommend checking Muppet Wiki's entry for Muppet Family Christmas and/or the section on the Muppet Central site about it.
Thanks for the tip about the PAL VHS releases of "The Muppets Go to the Movies" and the 30 Years Muppets special- it'd be great for those to get NTSC VHS releases and/or DVD releases. I'd be happy if I could find either one for those. What's the deal on the UK edit of The Muppet Movie? I've heard some about that before- there is a bit of added footage, I understand? Is it just the dialogue at the end credits of the movie? I'll have to read up on it again.
Anyway- Muppet Family Christmas is one of my all time favorite Christmas specials from the Muppets, so I certainly recommend it. You may like to get the PAL VHS just to have for your collection even if it is an edited version.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
If it's only 47 minutes, then it sounds like an edited version of Muppet Family Christmas. However, since it's a PAL version, that could make a difference- I'm not sure how it works exactly, but I do know the speed is different on PAL and NTSC videos. I'd recommend checking Muppet Wiki's entry for Muppet Family Christmas and/or the section on the Muppet Central site about it.
Thanks for the tip about the PAL VHS releases of "The Muppets Go to the Movies" and the 30 Years Muppets special- it'd be great for those to get NTSC VHS releases and/or DVD releases. I'd be happy if I could find either one for those. What's the deal on the UK edit of The Muppet Movie? I've heard some about that before- there is a bit of added footage, I understand? Is it just the dialogue at the end credits of the movie? I'll have to read up on it again.
Anyway- Muppet Family Christmas is one of my all time favorite Christmas specials from the Muppets, so I certainly recommend it. You may like to get the PAL VHS just to have for your collection even if it is an edited version.
PAL has a 4% speed-up. Though that wouldn't make a PAL version too much shorter than an NTSC version. Maybe by a minute at the most.