"A Muppet Family Christmas" broadcast date

anathema

Reaction score
Hi,
Could anybody tell me the date this special was originally broadcast, please? I know it was 1987, and I'm guessing December ;-) but I'd like to know the actual date...

Thanks!

Ryan

Reaction score
anathema said:
Hi,
Could anybody tell me the date this special was originally broadcast, please? I know it was 1987, and I'm guessing December ;-) but I'd like to know the actual date...

Thanks!
According to a 2 page article about it in the Winter issue of Muppet Magazine, it originally aired December 16th. It's in a 1988 issue, which I thoguht was odd too. It may be a rerun, but they talk about it in the article like it was a new show. Hope this helps.

jediX

Reaction score
It was rerun several years in a row, I'm pretty sure (each year getting slowly massacred by edits).

anathema

Reaction score
gbrobeck said:
The 2nd broadcast ever aired on December 2, 1988.

Greg
Do you happen to know if that was the re-edited version, or the original?

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Not a clue. I just saw it in the TV listings from that week.

Greg

BlueAM

Reaction score
Ryan said:
According to a 2 page article about it in the Winter issue of Muppet Magazine, it originally aired December 16th. It's in a 1988 issue, which I thoguht was odd too. It may be a rerun, but they talk about it in the article like it was a new show. Hope this helps.
That sounds interesting, Ryan! :excited:
I like that special SOOOOOOOO much that I was wondering what pictures from it they had in that article. It would be nice if you could tell me what pics they had!
Thanks, and good luck to your website!

BlueAM
"Peace on Earth! Gimme presents!"- Animal, "A Muppet Family Christmas"

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
Funny but to me, MFC was the last of the golden era of the muppets. it was the last piece that had the muppet "feel" to it.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Just to confirm

Ryan said:
You're right. The original broadcast date was Wednesday, December 16, 1987.

I just watched it tonight and it had a commercial for the Bill Cosby bomb "Leonard Part 6" and announced the movie was "opening Friday." And, according to IMDB, Leonard Part 6 was released on December 18. So, the Muppets were two days before that...

MustangRockstar said:
to me, MFC was the last of the golden era of the muppets.
I couldn't agree more.