A little help for a friend, please

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hello, today I got this e-mail:

Beauregard,
Hi, I hope you’re well. My name’s Greg Baxter and I’m from Australia. My
classmate Barry and I are researching the late and great Jim Henson’s career,
for our media studies course at high school after our teacher suggested him and have become new fans of his work in the process. We also have to survey any (preferably advanced) fans of his we can find, on what are their 3 favorite Jim Henson films are - be it any he directed (and probably performed in as well), or ones he just performed in and to state why.

We posted on the Muppets forum, but no one responded. If there are any other eloquent, articulate Muppets and / or Jim Henson fans you know or (don't know, but still) admire, please let me know how I can reach them. Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Greg Baxter
I will be sending them the answers they seek, but if any of my eloquent, articulate muppet fans friends would like to provide additional imput (and be the other's surveyed) please post in this thread.

Thanks,
Beau

__

Interprited for foam laboratory subordinate/sufferers:

Meep, and Mee!

Meep, mee, mou, meer, mee, merg. Mee my me! Mee, muu, moo, mi? Meep, mee, mou, meer, mee, merg. Mee my me! Mee, muu, moo, mi...mue? Meek, meec, mou, meer, mee, merg. Mee my me! Mee, muu, moo, mi?
Mee, mee, (what's Beakereze for elequent?) mee, mans!

Mees,
Mii!

Frogster

Reaction score
Beauregard,
Well I for one would love to help. I love The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and The Muppets Take Manhattan.

Reasons Why:
The Muppet Movie: The title says it all! Even when I was little, I was fascinated by the movie, because it shows "approximately" how they all met up. There's not one song in this film I don't like, and the plot was excellent.

The Great Muppet Caper: For some reason, this film, to me, is just as good as The Muppet Movie. Once again, it has a great plot, and my favorite scenes either took place at The Happiness Hotel or at the Mallory Gallery. Watching the Muppets play keep-away was so cool. Also, the songs were all great, and Miss Piggy was excellent! It's also nice to see guys like Beauregard and Pops get the spotlight.

The Muppets Take Manhattan: B-E-A utiful! I loved the opening song, and I thought the plot was, once again, terrific. There's something endearing about seeing the Muppets struggle to sell the show, and one thing I particularly like is how Scooter kind of plays a big role in this one. Scooter kind of fills the shoes as a leader when Kermit's not around. He's the one who came up with the idea that they should take Manhattan Melodies to New York, then thinks that they should all split up and go out on their own, and the first postcard Kermit reads is from Scooter. I loved seeing Rizzo in this one... there's always been something really cool about seeing Rizzo talk to Kermit back then; I mean, who knew that Steve would one day perform Kermit, right? Also, Miss Piggy is very enjoyable in this. The postcards that Kermit gets are great, and I loved the closing, with Kermit and Miss Piggy getting married.

Well, I hope this helps; that's all from me...

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I'd be curious and interested to be surveyed, and I'd be willing to write a paragraph or two or seven-hundred and twenty-eight as well. Also, please send apologies to your friends as per no one responding to their thread. If I'd seen it I would have gladly responded.
BTW - Nice write-up, Luke!

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
I got the same message in a PM. It's definitely a cool project. I'm assuming they want feature-length films. Otherwise, I'd have to include Muppet Family Christmas and The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years.

With apologies for copying Frogster, I have to go with the original trilogy too. My three favorite Henson films (in order):

1. The Muppets Take Manhattan. Jim, Frank, and the others had mastered the characters by this point and it shows. I'm not sure the Muppets have ever seemed as life-like as they do in this movie. Each of the major characters gets a chance to shine and some of the supporting turns/cameos are hilarious (esp: Gregory Hines, the Swedish Chef, Pete, and the Muppet frogs). Most of all, it's the one movie that always makes me feel like a kid again.

2. The Muppet Movie. First, this has the best soundtrack of Henson's films. Other than that? Hmm. The plot's a little slow at times. I have a feeling the cameos would be funnier if I were 25 years older. Some of my favorite characters are missing. Yet, there's something so simple and enjoyable about this film. Plus, Kermit's "High Noon" speech always gets my imagination revved up a bit.

3. The Great Muppet Caper. Let's see: Solid music? Check. Fun plot? Check. Incredible puppetry? Check. Crazy Muppet brawl? Check. This is just an all-around fun movie and Jim really upped the ante with the bike scene (which seems tame compared to today's CGI effects, but was incredible in the early 1980s).

christyb

Reaction score
Oh man where do I start? Oh yes, where was this thread. I would've posted in it if I had seen it. So I'm sorry to those of you who are doing this project. I know how much help everyone is on here to me when I need it:smile:. Now where was I??? Oh yeah favorite Jim Henson Movies. Even though my top two Muppet favorites are after Jim's death...here's my top three in order.

1. The Muppet Movie- The classic story of "approx." how the Muppets got together. Great Songs, amazing puppetry, funny spots where I've spotted puppeteers (on accident of course I don't think I was meant to see that). Ok scratch that last one. This is the first original classic and always will be. And hey... "Maybe someday we'll find it. The rainbow connection. The lovers, the dreamers, and me."

2. The Muppets Take Manhattan- This ranks second mainly for the songs. Yes, the plot is great but...I love to sing (and act when no one is watching :wink:) from this one.

3. The Great Muppet Caper- Third b/c well I had to rank them. I'm a muppet fan and love almost anything they do.

The Muppets have a certain magic to them. That's why we love them so much. These piles of felt and foam aren't just puppets to us (i.e. me). They are people that we know and love. And we hate it when they(the Muppets) suffer b/c of change. And I'm done being deep for now. *wipes forehead* Whew! That took a lot outta me.

That Announcer

Reaction score
OK. I'll help out here.

1) Muppet Treasure Island- Reason: This is the only Muppet movie to be (in my opinion) truly great throughout. Why? Well, there's a lot of Rizzo, Sam and Sweetums; Piggy has a reduced role; the script is fantastic and comical; the puppeteers are all in top form; the live actors (especially Mr. Curry) are well matched to the Muppets; and it doesn't make a big deal out of itself.

2) The Muppet Christmas Carol- Reason: Honestly, it must be the music. And Brian Henson, him too. I really believe that the Muppets will never see a greater director than Brian, because not only does he understand the Muppets very well, he understands how to direct comedy and to make the best out of a script. The new Muppets in this film are fantastic, and I think that if someone (or someTHING) was cast in the roles taken by the classic Muppets (Cratchit, bookkeepers, Fozziwig, etc.), it would be a great adaptation of Christmas Carol.

3) The Great Muppet Caper- It's good. It's very very good. It's comical, dramatic and light all at one time. It's got everyone's favorite Muppets and Muppeteers. It has good music. It's not as good as MTI, but it's very good.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Got their message too, not sure if by PM or regular E-mail. Don't particularly remember what responses I sent them back. But I know I sent them something in answer of their questions.
Rully curious to know what came of that survey.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
OK. I'll help out here.

1) Muppet Treasure Island- Reason: This is the only Muppet movie to be (in my opinion) truly great throughout. Why? Well, there's a lot of Rizzo, Sam and Sweetums; Piggy has a reduced role; the script is fantastic and comical; the puppeteers are all in top form; the live actors (especially Mr. Curry) are well matched to the Muppets; and it doesn't make a big deal out of itself.
I'm sure you know this, but may not have realised it in replying, but MTI was made after Jim had passed away, and these guys are trying to find out about movies Jim has worked on. ><
If it helps, I was about to say MTI too.
:smirk:

Myself, I really like:
~The Muppets Take Manhattan
Although Frank Oz directed this one, of course Jim performed in it. I really like how this film has energy throughout, and Kermit gets himself into really fun and quirky situations, so Jim must have had alot of fun doing this film (I love Kermit as the broadway producer wearing the pink coat, brown curly wig, and sunglasses!). The wedding scene at the end is great. And, I love listening to Kermit sing "Together Again". Even though he goes sharp and his voice crackles a bit. :smile:

~The Muppet Movie
Of course, THE movie. I love this movie because of it's beautiful songs. I However, I haven't seen it lately, so I cannot think of anything in particular I'd like to point out about it.. Oh wait, the scene at the end with about a zillion Muppets in it, was beautiful.

~Labyrinth (Noone has mentioned this yet, this deserves an honourable mention!)
To my limited knowledge Mr. Henson didn't perform in this one, but I do know he directed it. I enjoy watching Labyrinth, it has sentimental value to me, and the different forms of puppetry, and the fantasy world created in it are just amazing. My favourite part is the scene when the girl Sarah is falling down the hole, and all the hands are coming out from the wall (the "helping hands"), and they are forming different faces and expressions, it's so different and far-fetched and yet, just so amazing and believable. I've watched the short behind-the-scenes documentary found at the end of my videotape copy of Labyrinth, and seeing how everything was created and performed made me fully appreciate Jim Henson's creations and profession.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Whoops! Hey, wha'hapnd? Well, I'll say Labyrinth and TMM then. Why? Labyrinth due to the extravagant set design and grandeur of the whole thing; TMM because of the music and the humor.

chicamuppet

Reaction score
To be original ,I will also apologise for not anwsering Greg, if I had seen his message, I would have responded him with pleasure.

Well, my favourite Henson films are:

Muppet treasure Island: even if Jim is not very well performed, all the muppets go through hilarious situations, the dialogues are ingenious, it´s a funny adaptation of the book (not easy to achieve) and Kermit is sublime as the capitain. I have to mention Rizzo too...perfect.

Muppet Chistmass Carol: So cute... I have always loved this story, Charles Dicken´s creation...but when they decided to make a muppet movie of it, I was in ecstasy. It keeps the moral of the story with the muppet´s touch.

Labyrinth: see notes about it above