A Dozen Eggs And A Cookie

bigbird

Reaction score
There was a skit involving an egg carton and a set of "hands" filling it up with eggs. A different set of hands(I think) put either a cracker or cookie in one of the compartments of the egg carton. It was eventually removed and replaced with an egg. After the skit was over, Ernie(without Bert) did the exact same thing with HIS own empty egg carton and put a cookie like the prior skit did. I think cookie monster was in the skit too with Ernie. Can someone please help me remember?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I'll help you.

This skit is from the 1969-1970 first season and can be found on the episode where Big Bird tries to move his birdseed from Hooper's Store back to his nest.

You're right about the live action skit where you see a hand filling an egg carton with eggs one-by-one and a child's voice counts each one until...

...another person's hand drops a vanilla oreo cookie into the 10th slot, and the voice goes: "nine eggs and one cookie.....ten eggs and one cookie....eleven eggs and one cookie"

....the kid then takes the cookie out of the slot, eats it, and replaces it with another egg and says: "twelve eggs and no cookies.

I think this skit was designed to teach ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION.

Then Ernie (in his groovy psychedelic 1969 shirt) does the same thing, except reverses the eggs with 11 cookies and 1 egg. Cookie Monster, or should I say "Monster" as he was called back in 1969, pops up and eats all the cookies (showing SUBTRACTION) and then, for the grand finale,

throws the 1 egg into his mouth and walks off, leaving Ernie sobbing like a baby.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
wonder who the kid was. could it have been Brian or 1 of Jim's other Children.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It was cool in Ernie's segment where they had the camera overhead as he put the cookies in the egg carton. At one point Ernie even looks up to the camera and waves "Hi up there!"

And at the end, after Cookie Monster eats Ernie's cookies and takes his egg, he throws the egg up in the air and catches it in his mouth. For Frank Oz, that's really quite a feat. To throw an object up in the air with one hand, and catch it in another hand (inside CM's mouth), and all he had to guide him was looking in the monitor. Not as easy as it looks, but Frank pulled it off.

bigbird

Reaction score
Another part of that Ernie segment has him noticing that there was a small bite taken out of one of the cookies before he put it in the egg carton and saying in a very low voice "this one has a bite taken out of it...it was delicious"!

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
It was cool in Ernie's segment where they had the camera overhead as he put the cookies in the egg carton. At one point Ernie even looks up to the camera and waves "Hi up there!"

A good example of Jim Henson's ad libbing for the camera.

Censored

Reaction score
bigbird said:
There was a skit involving an egg carton and a set of "hands" filling it up with eggs. A different set of hands(I think) put either a cracker or cookie in one of the compartments of the egg carton. It was eventually removed and replaced with an egg. After the skit was over, Ernie(without Bert) did the exact same thing with HIS own empty egg carton and put a cookie like the prior skit did. I think cookie monster was in the skit too with Ernie. Can someone please help me remember?
The skit with the hand putting eggs and one cookie in the carton was also sometimes shown without the Ernie and Cookie sketch afterwards.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes I remember that too, GeeBee. Just like we had talked once before about that Ernie and Bert skit where Ernie counts to ten and keeps starting over. They would sometimes show the ending with Bert banging his head on the table four times and charging to the camera and other times they would stop just before Bert hits his head the first time. Interesting how with they likewise would alternate with sometimes just showing the segment of the kid counting the eggs in the carton and other times showing Ernie putting the cookies in the carton afterwards.