A Conversation with Frank Oz at MOMI

BEAR 2

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

I just attended this event last night that was part of the Jim Henson Exhibit here in NYC. It was such a cool experience but very laid back. Oz's wife was basically the moderator and would guide the evening asking Frank questions and they would discuss his career with Henson in between little film montages. They also showed/discussed a little from his directing and acting career. It ended with a Q&A session with the audience. This was a real treat because Oz almost never makes public appearances like this, especially since leaving the Muppets. He even commented on it. It was interesting when someone asked if he would ever write a book about his life, he said no. He is a very private person. That doesn't really come as a surprise to us though. He was such a funny, charming and inspiring man. And humble. He repeatedly stated how he is just one guy and the work they did was really a collaboration of so many talented people. Just like we learn from his work, he seems to really promote kindness and tolerance and inclusion. I liked that. Another treat was that we got a first look into the new documentary, Muppet Guys Talking which is set to premiere next year. The film will feature Fran Brill, Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta and Oz sitting around doing just that... talking. Talking about the craft.
Speaking of which...Goelz was in attendance, in the front row. Him and Oz teased each other the whole show. A few other Muppet friends were spotted...Leslie Cararra, Emilio Delgado, Bonnie Erickson, Jerry Juhl's wife and possibly others.
Of course, there wasn't any opportunity to meet Oz personally. He exited backstage. I could see some people hanging around outside the building, but I had a strong feeling that Oz really didn't want that. So I respected his privacy and went on my way home just happy to have been in the room where it happened.

Thanks, Frank!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In regards to not writing a book on his life, he also said that somewhere a long time ago, saying that he had thought about NOT writing his autobiography.

Though when it says he doesn't want to write a book about his life, does that mean he only doesn't want to write about his life, or does he not want to write about his career, either? I'm much more interested in reading about his career than personal life.

I saw an article about the appearance on Tough Pigs, which says that he said fans likely want to read about scandals and gossip while he would just want to talk about craft. I'll take a Frank Oz book on craft and no scandal or gossip.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

I just attended this event last night that was part of the Jim Henson Exhibit here in NYC. It was such a cool experience but very laid back. Oz's wife was basically the moderator and would guide the evening asking Frank questions and they would discuss his career with Henson in between little film montages. They also showed/discussed a little from his directing and acting career. It ended with a Q&A session with the audience. This was a real treat because Oz almost never makes public appearances like this, especially since leaving the Muppets. He even commented on it. It was interesting when someone asked if he would ever write a book about his life, he said no. He is a very private person. That doesn't really come as a surprise to us though. He was such a funny, charming and inspiring man. And humble. He repeatedly stated how he is just one guy and the work they did was really a collaboration of so many talented people. Just like we learn from his work, he seems to really promote kindness and tolerance and inclusion. I liked that. Another treat was that we got a first look into the new documentary, Muppet Guys Talking which is set to premiere next year. The film will feature Fran Brill, Jerry Nelson, Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta and Oz sitting around doing just that... talking. Talking about the craft.
Speaking of which...Goelz was in attendance, in the front row. Him and Oz teased each other the whole show. A few other Muppet friends were spotted...Leslie Cararra, Emilio Delgado, Bonnie Erickson, Jerry Juhl's wife and possibly others.
Of course, there wasn't any opportunity to meet Oz personally. He exited backstage. I could see some people hanging around outside the building, but I had a strong feeling that Oz really didn't want that. So I respected his privacy and went on my way home just happy to have been in the room where it happened.

Thanks, Frank!
I was there too. We also waited awhile outside in hopes of saying hi to Frank, but it was mostly autograph dealers with poster tubes, etc. probably with Star Wars memorabilia for him to sign, and he had said in the seminar he doesn't sign autographs anymore at all. I'm glad I got one last time he was at the museum about 5, 6 years ago. Had him sign my Little Shop of Horrors DVD it's now hanging in my home proudly. I didn't see Emilio there??! We sat next to Arthur Novell who was Jim Henson's publicist back in the day. Very kind man.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
I was there too. We also waited awhile outside in hopes of saying hi to Frank, but it was mostly autograph dealers with poster tubes, etc. probably with Star Wars memorabilia for him to sign, and he had said in the seminar he doesn't sign autographs anymore at all. I'm glad I got one last time he was at the museum about 5, 6 years ago. Had him sign my Little Shop of Horrors DVD it's now hanging in my home proudly. I didn't see Emilio there??! We sat next to Arthur Novell who was Jim Henson's publicist back in the day. Very kind man.
Emilio was sitting in the very back.

Yeah, I chose not to stay because of what you said and I wanted to respect that privacy.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
In regards to not writing a book on his life, he also said that somewhere a long time ago, saying that he had thought about NOT writing his autobiography.

Though when it says he doesn't want to write a book about his life, does that mean he only doesn't want to write about his life, or does he not want to write about his career, either? I'm much more interested in reading about his career than personal life.

I saw an article about the appearance on Tough Pigs, which says that he said fans likely want to read about scandals and gossip while he would just want to talk about craft. I'll take a Frank Oz book on craft and no scandal or gossip.
Yes, he said that he wasn't interested in writing dirt. Street Gang, while intriguing, had a little dirty gossip and I wonder if he was indirectly referring to that. Who knows, but he seems much more interested in talking about craft than personal to the public. That's pretty much what the documentary will be, it seems. But I'm not even sure he'd write a book on the craft. Maybe the documentary and the event last week is taking the place of that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was surprised when I heard that Frank Oz said he had been thinking about NOT writing his autobiography a long time ago. He seems like the kind of person who would want to talk about his past works.

BEAR 2

Reaction score
I was surprised when I heard that Frank Oz said he had been thinking about NOT writing his autobiography a long time ago. He seems like the kind of person who would want to talk about his past works.
It's also a lot of work and time commitment. Maybe he just doesn't want to write it.