A Children's Television Workshop disclaimer?

superboober

Reaction score
I found the "bells and chimes" theme rather apocalyptic as well when I was young. Many times I would tune out just as the credits began so I wouldn't have to watch it (at least I only saw it with the purple background; the earlier black one would have made it worse). Now it's not quite as bad when I hear it.

Funnily enough, on the other hand, I don't remember the local PBS station I saw it on (WVIA-44 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre) ever having any CTW logo precede the show, so whether any of them would have frightened me at the time is up in the air. The 70s multi-colored PBS logo, which they still used for about 2 years after the main network retired it, wasn't scary at all, although the regular WVIA logo when shown in its entirety (consisting of fiery red numbers from 1 to 6, with the station 44 in the middle, lighting up one at a time to an alien-style synth sound, then the 44 glowing as a gold border zooms in around it to another bizarre sound as it cooled to a tamer blue) was slightly unnerving.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Philip Kippel said:
Sorry to revive an old topic, but for once, I totally agree with you, Dr. Tooth.

That SS funding credits tune was definetely creepy! Nowadays, I desperately avoid it like the plague, even when it plays on Muppet Central Radio!:eek:

Thank goodness they did away with it!
May I ash why these things would bother you now?

wiley207

Reaction score
The music doesn't sound THAT scary to me!

But I agree, it does sound a tiny bit unsettling, like warning you that a PBS logo is about to come up (if it were the 1971 PBS logo seen on the Old School box set, then THAT would be unnerving, if it were the 1980s logo with the purple P-head and calm piano music, then that's a good thing, BTW I remember liking the PBS logo with the glass P heads and the announcer saying "This is PBS" when I was a kid; remember seeing it all the time after Sesame).

I think they used the 1972 music a few more times in the 1992-1993 season, and then switched over to a newer theme.

Confidentally, I think they should bring back that "groovy" music for the funding credits in newer episodes! THAT would add a bit of nostaliga for the classic Sesame fans, even if it sounds a bit outdated, but then again, some of the current stuff they do sometimes is kinda outdated.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I love all those logos, even though they tend to be a bit scary. Personally, the music they tended to use in those old logos makes me think of electronics and robots, like the dangers of technology!

"The problem's plain to see. Too much technology. Machines to save our lives. Machines dehumanize." Lol

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Wow! I remember the Alien sounding CTW logo. It was scary. But I love the old funky music at the end of Sesame Street. It was so cool and I could not wait for it. I also remember when they changed it to the Clypso theme at the end, and the they had this thing with horns and Big Bird Saying "Next time on Sesame Stree and "Tutulo" at the end. The ninties were no creepy at all.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen the condenced one too. Man, you just never get over it! lol

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The aliens have landed! We're doom!!!

Oh man, I used to watch Zoobilee Zoo, it was so strange! I admire the actors for wearing those crazy get ups! lol