70`s Sesame Street Questions...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
If you happen to watch the video or DVD of "Learning the Alphabet" you will notice that the first muppet of Baby Bear was much more furry and also had a lower and gruffer voice.
actually, it's called Do The Alphabet.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
According to Carroll Spinney's book, Oscar was originally purple!! When Sesame Street premiered, Jim decided to dye him orange. Green Oscar actually made his debut on the Flip Wilson show shortly before Season 2 was to begin, so grown-ups watching prime-time tv saw him first. The myth was that Oscar went on vacation to his favorite swamp (Swamp Mushymuddy, perhaps?) and the mold and moss turned him green, so the color stayed. Jim thought green showed up better on the tv screen. For the first few years, Oscar was actually a brighter shade of green than he is today, but such is evolution. :grouchy:
If Oscar's green color isn't natural, it's funny how most of Oscar's relatives are green. Also, I remember seeing some baby pictures of Oscar where he was green. It seems like the writers forgot that he had been orange.

I have seen a pic of the bright green Oscar at the Hooperfan page. That was kind of freaky. Now, I think he looks good. Well, at least for a grouch. :grouchy:

superfan

Reaction score
You know, when I first saw Big Bird in his original form on A&E's Biography, I was taken aback, but couldn't turn away. Can you imagine the original BB looking for Ernie in Journey to Ernie? Poor Ernie would stop giving hints as to where he was hiding!

Rosewood

Reaction score
Sorry.....

minor muppetz said:
actually, it's called Do The Alphabet.
Sorry for the foopa. You are indeed correct. I would have got up and checked to make sure, butt (pun intended) unfortunately I had to get a gamma shot in my dari-air this morning and decided I'd rather take the chance of being corrected than go through the pain of getting up to check.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I have just started watching some of the earlier episodes I've been able to get copies of, and my kids watch them also, and love them! I will say, though, that seeing Big Bird the way he was in episode 1 (compared to the way he looks today), was a little confusing for my 3 yr old. When she asked me "Mommy, what happened to his head?" I really had to think fast! The explination I decided to stick with was this: I explained to her that "these were some of the first Sesame Street programs ever filmed and, back then, big bird was just a baby! And since many baby birds, like robins and such,are born without feathers, back then Big Bird still had some major feather growing to do!" She seemed to accept this with no problem, but now, when she wants to see early SS she still says "Mom, can we watch the SS where Big Bird has no head?" LOL! :smile:
Also, as an afterthought, I think I know why I never remember Oscar being orange even though I watched SS from day one; and thats because, back then, most T.V.'s owned by middle class familys were black and white, like ours was. So when Oscars color changed, people like me probably didn't even notice it!
all you had to say was these epsiodes were made a long time ago when i was small watching SS and he just looked different then and if that didn't work you could say you'll understand when you're older. Unless you were just being creative and having fun.

Rosewood

Reaction score
"Shoo fly, don't bother me......."

mikebennidict said:
all you had to say was these epsiodes were made a long time ago when i was small watching SS and he just looked different then and if that didn't work you could say you'll understand when you're older. Unless you were just being creative and having fun.
Man! I think I'm starting to hear the buzz of one of those pesky "Intimidation Flys" again! Mabey I should go get my swatter.......... :rolleyes:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be rude. all I meant wss to suggest and easier way to explain such differences. if you were just having fun then that's OK.

Rosewood

Reaction score
"No 2 people are exactly the same"

mikebennidict said:
I wasn't trying to be rude. all I meant wss to suggest and easier way to explain such differences. if you were just having fun then that's OK.
Everybody is different in the way they put things, and I'm no exception. I, myself, like to make my posts a bit more interesting than simply stating facts. Even Phil Chapman discourages short, boring post of things like "Yah, me to" and "No, I don't agree" and the like. I was simply trying to make my post interesting and worth reading by sharing some personal experiences in it. If you find my posts a bit to complicated or lengthy for you to enjoy reading, you could always take my name off your list.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
You have problems Mike rubbing people the wrong way.

Boss boss boss, that's all you do to people.

Rosewood

Reaction score
O.k. guys ...........

jeffkjoe said:
You have problems Mike rubbing people the wrong way.

Boss boss boss, that's all you do to people.
Alright people,
With that last note now being made, I suggest we start focusing in getting this thread back on track before it gets killed. I'll start.

One of the most famouse SS muppet skits ever made had to be "Mahnu Mahnu". But, to my knowledge, its one of least shown. Does anyone have any idea why this is? :confused: