60 Years of Muppets...

Shortflint

Reaction score
60 years. 40 years removed from a century. Next year marks the incredible sixty year anniversary of The Muppets and Jim and Jane Henson's vision. This is so incredible to me. Ten years ago the Muppets were, despite a great merchandise presence, languishing in relative obscurity and development heck.

Think of how strong Sesame Street is, the fact we have countless total saturation Muppet tv appearances dovetailing with an amazing new film, and in some small capacity Fraggle Rock is back(tho sadly Bear in the Big Blue House is dead) Is there anything more we could ask for? We even have a possible Broadway Muppet musical on the way.

Well...ok there is one thing...

A RETURN TO WEEKLY TELEVISION.

Just curious what some of your wishes are either for the 60 year anniversary or for the franchise in general. What do you want to see? Disney California Muppet expansion? New TV specials? Specific merchandise? Home releases? Video games?

Wow...60 years! That's so awesome. :smile:

Hmm...my wishes? A Disney California Muppet expansion would obviously be good for the franchise but, it wouldn't do me any good. I can't get all the way to California. :frown:

Normally, I would be all for a new TV special but, then I recently saw the Lady Gaga one and I've become a little more cautious. :sigh:

I think overall I want them to have a TV show again...though I wouldn't mind a Muppet video game...and more plushies. I love plushies.:wink:

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
Yes! A Muppet Video Game. There hasn't been one since 2002 or 2003. I would definitely buy it.

If I had to make the video game, the situation would go like this:

Kermit is frognapped. Piggy, Gonzo, and the gang have to save him from going to different years from The Muppets history. If you complete the level, you get a video clip (or more than one) from that year. Then, you can look at them later in your archive. For example, let's say the year is 1982. There would be a clip from The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show. Another example. The year is 1989. There would be a Jim Henson Hour clip.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Although the Muppet Treasure Island soundtrack already has a made-on-demand release by ArkivMusic.​
Just have to say, thank you SO MUCH for mentioning the existence of this made-on-demand release! I've wanted the MTI soundtrack for years, YouTube the songs all the dang time. I had never heard of this option.

Unfortunate that it's $16.99, but hey, I'll swing it at some point :smile:
Wow- I had no idea the "Muppet Treasure Island" soundtrack went for such expensive prices...the CD is going for like $30 at the cheapest on Amazon.com and other places... I guess it's good I managed to pick up this CD some years ago at a thrift store somewhere...I'd suggest checking local thrift store and used music stores- you never what may pop up someplace. But if there's a burn-on-demand option for $17 or so- that's good to know- but still seems rather expensive to me.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has ever suggested this before, but I was thinking it would be really awesome for the Muppets' 60th. anniversary if Disney would release The Muppet Show Season 4 and Season 5 on DVD.:smirk::wink::crazy:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yeah- it seemed crazy to me that no one's suggested that yet- like, ever. That's probably why Disney hasn't released it yet...Now we can get the ball rolling...:big_grin::news::search::stick_out_tongue::frown::wisdom:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yes! A Muppet Video Game. There hasn't been one since 2002 or 2003. I would definitely buy it.

If I had to make the video game, the situation would go like this:

Kermit is frognapped. Piggy, Gonzo, and the gang have to save him from going to different years from The Muppets history. If you complete the level, you get a video clip (or more than one) from that year. Then, you can look at them later in your archive. For example, let's say the year is 1982. There would be a clip from The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show. Another example. The year is 1989. There would be a Jim Henson Hour clip.

I wonder if such a game would include every year, or just select years. I don't think Disney owns any Muppet productions from before 1968 (which is when Hey Cinderella was produced). It'd be great if they could clear the rights to one Sam and Friends clip (I don't know if any episodes from 1955 exists, but I think I'd just list a 1955 level and include any clip anyway). Or maybe they could skip several years, though I'd like to include clips from all five seasons of The Muppet Show. Some eras would have more years that can be used than others.

And maybe Disney could clear the rights to certain Muppet clips owned by other companies. Muppet Race Mania (which was made before Disney bought the Muppets) has clips from all of the movies that were made at the time, regardless of whether they were owned by Henson, Disney, or Sony (which makes the PlayStation systems so it might not have been a problem to include clips from MTM and MFS).

As for gameplay itself, it would be cool if various Muppet villains (and characters close enough to be villains) would team up. Including Constantine, The Moopets, the Gorilla Television crew, MTI pirates, Blind Pew, Taminella, The Old Gypsy Lady, and the bad guys from The Muppet Musicians of Bremen.

Another option: In Epic Mickey style, Sam from Sam and Friends (Disney owns those characters but still needs permission from Henson) could kidnap Kermit out of jealousy over him becoming a star while Sam faded into obscurity. Or Kermit could get kidnapped by a new character who started out in show business when Kermit did but didn't make it. Or maybe Doc Hopper could kidnap Kermit.