40 movies you (might) regret showing your kids

mr3urious

Reaction score
Man, what a dumb list. "OMG SOMONE DIES IT MITE B BAD 4 KIDZ!11!!!" "OMG ITS PEEGEE SO IT MUST B 4 t3h KIDDEHZ!!!1!!11!"

Gimme a break. I may have been scared by some of these movies, but never traumatized! Plus, it's not like kids don't experience loss or peril in real life. :rolleyes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/commo...ur-kids_b_4379974.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

And here's the Nostalgia Critic that provides some good arguments as to why it can sometimes be a good thing to scare the crap out of kids. It's worth a watch.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...1043-should-we-scare-the-****-out-of-our-kids

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know what? Some of these movies aren't even kids movies to begin with! MY DOG SKIP? GHOSTBUSTERS? BIG? GREASE? PARENTHOOD? AIRPLANE!? SIXTEEN CANDLES? FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF? Uh, none of those are kids movies, so there's really no business these movies should be shown to kids in the first place.

But, for the record, as a kid, I've seen BAMBI, DUMBO, FINDING NEMO, THE LAND BEFORE TIME, THE LION KING, CHARLOTTE'S WEB, MY DOG SKIP, THE FOX AND THE HOUND, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, ANNIE, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE, PINOCCHIO, THE SECRET OF NIHM, WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, THE WIZARD OF OZ, and A CHRISTMAS STORY, out of all these movies, there's only ONE thing that actually bothered me as a kid, and that was the whole forest fire sequence from BAMBI, if only because I was like three and it was kind of scary, but other than that, none of these movies ever bothered me.

Slackbot

Reaction score
*chuckle* I can't take things like this seriously. By this yardstick--don't scare the children or expose them to death--Fraggle Rock would be off-limits. I don't LOL, but I did mentally chuckle then I came to Charlotte's Web and A Christmas Story. There went any remaining shred of that article's credibility!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Oh noez! Movies dealing with this mystical force called death! Because people only die in movies, we must shelter our children and tell them they will live foreverrr.

:|

I find the most insulting one that Curious George is distressing to young children. I haven't seen the movie, but come on. That just sounds like utter crap.

The Fox and the Hound was one of my favorite movies growing up. So clearly I wasn't traumatized by it.

I laugh at how they say the Land Before Time is an upbeat movie though. There is nothing upbeat about it except for the end. But considering that's another movie I adored growing up, I apparently wasn't scared of it.

People give children waaay too little credit. I also think whoever wrote this is under the false assumption that PG means 'for kids' Um, no. It means Parental Guidance, which means it may not be suitable for young children. I really have to wonder if the people who make these lists have actually watched all the movies they complain about.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I laugh at how they say the Land Before Time is an upbeat movie though. There is nothing upbeat about it except for the end. But considering that's another movie I adored growing up, I apparently wasn't scared of it.
They must have been watching too many of the cheapquels. God, remember when those never seemed to end? :rolleyes:

Sgt Floyd said:
I also think whoever wrote this is under the false assumption that PG means 'for kids'
Especially considering how PG seems to be the new G nowadays.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And again, some of the movies on that list are PG-13 and even R.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Who in the world would watch Stepmom with their kids? That's not a "family movie night" type of film at all. Or We Bought A Zoo for that matter. Most of this list was silly, but those two films really stuck out to me as especially dumb choices.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
I really have to wonder if the people who make these lists have actually watched all the movies they complain about.

What?! Of course they haven't watched all the movies on their own list! That's why they're complaining about them! :grouchy:
*Leaves a choc chip 6 cookie for Sarge. :sing:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hey, some people took their kids to see Ted, an R-rated movie, because it had a teddy bear on the poster. And there were people, back when I performed with a RHPS cast, who would bring their very young kids to the (midnight) showings, not having the foggiest notion of what they were getting into until I had a quiet word with them. People can be dang dumb sometimes.