3D Printing + Puppet Building = ?!?!?!?

WillyThePig

Reaction score
Okay, here's some food for thought: with all this buzz about 3d printing, I've scraped together some cash and ordered myself one. I was wondering, does anyone have any ideas about how I could combine this with puppetry. Could i make parts for puppets that I can't just buy somewhere? All ideas are welcome!!

Slackbot

Reaction score
A while back someone here wsa making noises about making custom puppet parts - "bear comedian eyes," "gofer glasses," and the like. Perhaps bits like those would be a good start.

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Yea eyes, teeth, accessories (jewellery etc) are the parts that initially spring to mind..

kumakami

Reaction score
kind of wanted to figure out how to design a 3d printed blink mechanism....just cause

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I've read that Jeff Dunham has used these new 3D printers to build some of his characters. I find the whole thing amazing.

Tioh

Reaction score

Here are two 3d-printed puppet heads that I made (before the fur is glued on). I made the 3d-models with an old version of Lightwave Modeler (not the best tool for this task, but it does the job). Printed with PLA on my 3d-printer (a Makerbot 1 Dual clone). The parts were glued together with Plaast (http://www.plaast.de/). The inside of the mouth is made of felt and wonderflex.

Each head took about 7 hours to build and weights under 100g.

Some of my simpler models are on Thingiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/Tioh/designs

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Very cool! Have you considered using Blender instead of Lightwave? There are a ton of tutorials available for doing 3D printing with Blender and it's free.