2015 Popeye Movie

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Well, some of you may already know about it, as I have for at least a year, but I decided to give it it's own thread. It will be CGI, again as some of you know already, and I hope it will be good. It is being produced by Sony Pictures Animation, with Genndy Tartakovsky (Hotel Transylvania) directing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cartoon Hangover just released a small test animation of the new Popeye movie with an intro by Genndy.

Too bad it's just temp track voice acting. Sounds like Tom Kenny as Popeye. I'm sure they're going for a big celebrity voice actor for the role instead.

So far, the animation looks beautifully fluid and cartoony. The same thing that made Hotel Transylvania better than it could have been.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I love how perfectly they translated the bendiness of the character movements.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cartoon Hangover just released a small test animation of the new Popeye movie with an intro by Genndy.
Thank you for sharing this. I hadn't seen the test animation yet. I'm a big fan of 30's and 40's Popeye.

Wow, 2015 will be quite a year with the Popeye movie, Peanuts movie and Star Wars movie all arriving.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm glad Genndy has professed his love for the original Popeye cartoons. I just hope someone involved in writing the film has read some Thimble Theater. That always had better Popeye stories than the cartoons ever did. In fact, that was the best thing in the original Robin Williams movie. Reference to characters and situations from the comics.

EDIT: The movie's slated for an unknown date around 2016. Hotel Transylvania 2 is the one coming next year.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also forgot about the lack of realistic uncanny valley eyeballs. Just the good old pie eyes like in the cartoons. :smile:

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I'm glad Genndy has professed his love for the original Popeye cartoons. I just hope someone involved in writing the film has read some Thimble Theater. That always had better Popeye stories than the cartoons ever did. In fact, that was the best thing in the original Robin Williams movie. Reference to characters and situations from the comics.
I have high hopes that someone has. I swear one of those concept art pieces was the Sea Hag.

Also, was that Grey DeLilse as Olive?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Niiiice! This looks like something I'd enjoy.

My one crit is that I'm a little tired of the pose-zoom-pose-zoom-pose type of animation. It's as if they're trying to save money on tweening, but with CGI that doesn't make sense. In some places it looks great, but when everything is timed that way it gets old.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even if this movie's bad, there's still...ugh... Popeye and Son. And those horrible educational Popeye comics about careers. And if you wanna drag video games into it, there's always Popeye Ijiwaru Majo Sea Hag no Maki, with tedious gameplay and board game forcing you to go places you don't want to go.

My one crit is that I'm a little tired of the pose-zoom-pose-zoom-pose type of animation. It's as if they're trying to save money on tweening, but with CGI that doesn't make sense. In some places it looks great, but when everything is timed that way it gets old.
In this case, it works, since it's trying to mimic old cartoon style. I have to admit, I'm no huge fan of Sony Animation movies, but I'm liking the flowy, bouncy animation they've had since Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Which is the nicest thing I can say about the movie, it was visually impressive. We are quite a ways from stiff, soulless early days of CGI... or Food Fight.