2011 Muppet Movie plot officially announced

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering how few people saw that movie (one of my favorites, incidentally), I don't think you have to worry. Though I think it would be funny to have Weird Al answering phones during the telethon.
I'm sure a lot of the 20's+ aged Muppet nerds are also Weird Al Nerds... but come to think of it, it was a trope long long before that movie.

I, too, am slightly disappointed with potential titles that have shown up. But I don't know what route they can go that will be simple, modern (but not pop-culture-y) and true to the Muppet style. My thoughts would be something like "Save the Muppets!" or "Get the Muppets!" but I'm not even a big fan of those.
I'm starting to wonder... is there a POSSIBLE way to even title this with something that doesn't sound dopey or generic.... Return of the Muppets is the only thing that makes sense, and it's still pretty stale for a title. That's for campy 1950's style horror B movies.

beaker

Reaction score
There's actually a lot of oil in Los Angeles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Brea_Tar_Pits

Considering how few people saw that movie (one of my favorites, incidentally), I don't think you have to worry. Though I think it would be funny to have Weird Al answering phones during the telethon.

I, too, am slightly disappointed with potential titles that have shown up. But I don't know what route they can go that will be simple, modern (but not pop-culture-y) and true to the Muppet style. My thoughts would be something like "Save the Muppets!" or "Get the Muppets!" but I'm not even a big fan of those.
Oh I just meant odd as we usually don't hear of LA/Hollywood being known for major current oil production, like say the Gulf coast region or Texas. But I think the plot device works.
I'm worried about the Muppet telethon idea making the film lose a bit of steam...not saying it's anticlimactic, but Im hoping they can put a more urgent twist and epic feel to it.

I'm starting to wonder... is there a POSSIBLE way to even title this with something that doesn't sound dopey or generic.... Return of the Muppets is the only thing that makes sense, and it's still pretty stale for a title. That's for campy 1950's style horror B movies.
It's going to simply be called "The Muppets". I'd be amazed if they actually change this, since this is how they are titling all revival franchises on the big screen.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
It's going to simply be called "The Muppets". I'd be amazed if they actually change this, since this is how they are titling all revival franchises on the big screen.
Sure, because they want to reinvent everything and expect you to forget that a lot of other movies preceded it. And since this movie is being definitively called the name of the TV show it's based on or whatever, it's automatically referred to over any other previous movie because few people will bother to say the full name of longer movies with subtitles.
Example- So, are you a fan of Star Trek?
Do you mean "Star Trek", the 1966-1969 TV series, "Star Trek: The Animated Series", "Star Trek: The Next Generation", "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", "Star Trek: Voyager", "Star Trek: Enterprise", "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" or any of the 9 movies that followed it or do you mean the confusingly-named 2009 "Star Trek" movie?
(In which case, the answer is yes to most all of them. Still not very fond of everything in "Star Trek: Nemesis" and definitely didn't like everything in the 2009 "Star Trek" movie.)

Why do the Muppets need such a revival? Do people seriously not know who The Muppets are? They just had a Christmas TV-movie last year with "The Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa". You can find Muppets T-shirts at Hot Topic and Wal-Mart and Target pretty often. "The Muppet Show" Seasons 1-3 is on DVD. Sesame Street is still running strong. And now The Hub is airing many of the Muppet movies as well as "Fraggle Rock" again.
I don't see that a reintroduction to the characters is really necessary. I know younger kids that are familiar with the Muppets.
And honestly, even if kids aren't- can't they just take a chance that if they make a quality kid-friendly movie that adults can enjoy as well with the trusted and proven Muppets brand that young kids will fall in love with it and want to see more of The Muppets? (Beyond the ones they see on Sesame Street, that is.)
I was thinking maybe something like "The Muppets Together Again" might be a nice title. Something that would make it more definitive as to the plot. "Introducing The Muppets"?
"Muppets Magic"?...
And I can also see the similarities to "UHF"- a pretty funny movie, by the way. I definitely love some Weird Al songs- getting him a cameo would definitely be cool- I'm sure he'd be up for it.
And thanks for those who clarified about Muppet Studios vs. Muppet Theater. That makes a bit more sense now.
But as to whether the Muppets work full time at the theater or not- that's always seemed to be the case from my understanding. I guess they've had different ventures with "MuppetTelevision" and "Muppets Tonight", etc. - but it seems like the weekly show at the Theater was always maintained as well. At least in "It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie" it sure seemed like they would all be broke and homeless if they deferred their paychecks for a year. I mean- they've done it before in "The Muppets Take Manhattan".
Maybe the Muppets should follow the route of "UHF" then and just name the movie after their production studios? "Muppet Studios"?
And I appreciate the explanations regarding Walter, but I still don't see him as being all that funny of a concept. But that's just my personal humor style, I guess. Perhaps it will be funnier than I think. It will be especially nice if Walter decides to browse the Internet for Muppet news and run across MuppetCentral.com :big_grin:
Anyway- moving right along (footloose and fancy free)-
I wonder when there will be a teaser trailer available for this? That will help a lot in getting more of a feel for this movie.:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I see this movie as a world-in-a-world-in-a-world that includes all of the Muppets' history instead of reinventing it. But would this telling even be considered true. The Muppets have always been funny that way.

There's been so much floundering with the Muppet brand since Jim Henson's death. Sure, people know who they are, but there are still many folk who don't see the richness them and this film serves to eliminate any doubt about how vital these classic characters can be today. Yes, a relaunch is necessary because they've not yet received this level of theatrical support since the 80's. That's what has rendered them nostalgia in the eyes of some. :smile:

MadForPepe

Reaction score
Seems like it's going to be a great 2011 for the Muppets.
Great stuff, with all those famous actours on it.

Does anyone know who this new character 'Walter' is going to be or what he's going to be like? Or is it still top secret?

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Muppets movie (I may have to take my niece with me to see it). I don't have any of the previous Muppet movies on DVD, but I may have to order them from Amazon.

Nick22

Reaction score
the plot looks pretty good and i'm super excited :excited:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Does anyone know who this new character 'Walter' is going to be or what he's going to be like? Or is it still top secret?
We've seen pictures already and we know he's going to be performed by Peter Linz. Read all about him here:

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Walter

Anyway, yes, if Walter is going to be the "guide" to the audience, then it could work. I HOPE they do some reference to Muppet Central, Tough Pigs, the Muppet Mindset or the MuppetCast. I hope that whenever they film Walter's place (hey, he's gotta live somewhere), that they show those sites at least bookmarked on his computer. If they really want to put in a reference just for us, there could be a muffin next to the keyboard.

I could see his place being filled with Palisades figures, posters, an autographed photo of Frank Oz and the Muppet Show DVDs (with spaces on the shelf reserved for Seasons 4 and 5).

Walter could be a funny character if he's a true caricature of us. He could grumble about people spelling Fozzie's name wrong, correct people who say "I love Miss Piggy on Sesame Street!" blog his journey (as was already mentioned) or even quote Jim in the movie. Couldn't you just hear this in the dialogue:

Character 1: "But are we really ready to fight this oil tycoon?"
Character 2: "We don't have much time. Plus, we only have some of our plan prepared."
Walter: "Well, let's just take what we got and fly with it!"

There's all kinds of Easter eggs they could put in the film. If they could put all kinds of obscure references in that clunker known as "Kermit's Swamp Years", then why not in this big Disney film? Have Jim Henson's picture in the background somewhere, have them encounter a raccoon in the woods named Joan Ganz, have Walter bid on a copy of "Of Muppets and Men" on eBay, something.

True, the movie plot does sound like UHF, but I love UHF so it's cool with me.

Plus...Weird Al is looooooooong overdue for working with the Muppets. Yeah, yeah, there was the Muppet Magazine article, but I'm talking about TV or film stuff.

Convincing John