1979 World Magazine

stupendousman

Reaction score
I've been searching high and low for a copy of the August 1979 World Magazine (National Geographic's kid's mag) that featured the Muppets. This not only had a great "behind the scenes" story on the Muppets, but also a big fold-out poster that showed details on the construction of a Muppet. I remember one photo showed a foam head being "flocked".

I did try doing a search and I've looked on eBay, and I've not had any luck. I'd be interested in possibly getting scans somehow as well if someone has this issue. THANKS!

Kermieuk

Reaction score
This sounds great. I don't have it either! Would also love to see scans if anyone has it? Is it the one with the kermit balloon on the cover??

Chris

stupendousman

Reaction score
I don't remember what the cover had on it. I just remember that the story inside was really good and the pull-out "behind the scenes" poster was great.

CherryPizza

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you live, or what they're called in your neck of the woods. However, here in Australia, the first place to search for such things would be the State Libraries. These are the large libraries in capital cities which, by law, have to have any published material donated to them, and also keep a large collection of periodicals (whether in paper form or microfilm). They are predominantly reference (i.e. non-lending) libraries which allow you to read/photocopy items on site.

stupendousman

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you live, or what they're called in your neck of the woods. However, here in Australia, the first place to search for such things would be the State Libraries. These are the large libraries in capital cities which, by law, have to have any published material donated to them, and also keep a large collection of periodicals (whether in paper form or microfilm). They are predominantly reference (i.e. non-lending) libraries which allow you to read/photocopy items on site.
I've already tried the local library system with no luck, and contacted National Geographic and that back issue is no longer available. If someone does have access to a back issue archive and has this issue available, I HIGHLY recommend making the effort to get a scan. Save for maybe an expensive late 80's book I remember, it was the best "behind the scenes" Muppet article I've ever seen, and remember photos from the article and poster that I've seen nowhere else.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
The individual pages are available on ebay often. It is a 4 page fold out poster of the season one Muppet show gang, the back has the behind the scenes on it!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
The cover has a purple whatnot wearing a top hat on it.

stupendousman

Reaction score
The individual pages are available on ebay often. It is a 4 page fold out poster of the season one Muppet show gang, the back has the behind the scenes on it!
I've been looking for several years with no luck and can't even any finished auctions. I must be using the wrong search terms. I'd even be willing to pay a reasonable fee for scans.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've already tried the local library system with no luck
The website WorldCat.org lets you type in an item (like National Geographic) and shows you all the libraries in and out of the US that have copies. You could see if there's any close to you. Or contact a library and ask what their policy is for sending you scans of archive issues.