1970 Seseme Street RECORD on CD?

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Forgive me, but did they (Columbia) ever put that classic FIRST
Seseme Street Record (in it's full entirety) - onto audio CD?

I heard somewhere previously that Columbia Records doesn't even HAVE
the master in their vaults anymore...

Granted there are mentions thruout the album that it IS a 'vinyl record',
esp on the last track with Gordon...
:smile:

SesameMike

Reaction score
On the Sesame Street II album, at the very end Oscar says "Turn the record back over, and start again."

Can't very well turn a CD over, though there are 2-sided DVDs.

If the master tapes for the albums are indeed destroyed or otherwise unusable, the best way to get a near-CD quality copy of that or any record is to take it to one of those restoration services. You take the vinyl record to them, provided it's not too worn out from overplaying, and they put it through multiple stages of cleaning. Then they play it on a laser-based turntable with no scratches, pops, or hisses.

You have to really like the record you want to restore, though, since they charge at least $60 per title. And the laser player does not work properly on non-black or "picture" records, though I don't know any of those that Sesame Street released.

paulyw

Reaction score
Sesame Street Records

I have quite a few Sesame Street records, but I think Warner Bros. always produced their records. I have Sesame STreet 1, Sesame Street 2, Sesame Street Countdown, (This has songs such as "THe Ladybugs PIcnic" (Number 12) A silver aniversary record, Ernie's Hits, :stick_out_tongue: (A section in the record when Ernie sings Rubber Duckie) Burt's Blockbusters. :frown: (When Burt sings Doin' The Pigeon) A record with SUsan singing all kinds of songs. and a few others.

sesameguy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Columbia still has the master tapes or not, but I'm guessing that they do still exist just because we have heard tracks from "Sesame Street 1" on other CDs. The "Platinum" CD features "Rubber Duckie" and "I love trash". The "Songs from the Street" CD set featured "I've got two" and "Somebody Come & Play." I'm not sure if those were from the master tapes or not, but at least "Rubber Duckie" sounds pretty good on the "Platinum" CD.

But it would be great to buy a single CD of that album. I'd also love to get the "Fairy Tale album" and "Bert & Ernie sing-along" on disk. In fact, there are so many great Sesame albums that have never been released on CD that they could easily create a box set of several hours worth of material. Are you listening, Sesame Workshop? :smile:

======================================

You record collectors may enjoy my posting about the closing of Tower Records last year:

http://heroshaven.blogspot.com/2006/12/farewell-tower-records.html

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
FIRST Seseme Street VINYL LP

It WAS on the red Columbia label and now out of print...

..same for the Columbia 45 RPM single "Rubber Duckie" by Henson in 1970.

That single was in crusty MONO, while the LP version was in crystal clear stereo!

BTW, what was the: 'B'/flip side of that particular 45 single?
I forgot and lost my copy years ago...does anyone HAVE this gem?

I also learned the CTW 'might still' have that master tape NOW as to why
certain tracks from that first album show up on OTHER later CD's...

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I don't have the single,but I do have the LP. To the best of my knowledge "Bein' Green" was the flip side.

I know how you feel. I still have a sizeable vinyl collection and a working turntable. Fortunately my copies of the first two Sesame LPs are in near-mint condition. I picked them up years ago at a garage sale, and the previous owner took excellent care of them.

Still, if CD's did exist of the first two albums, I'd pick them up in a heartbeat. I would love to hear a digitally remastered version of "Someday Little Children". Maybe someday, not-so-little-anymore children.:smirk:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I had that album and afew others myself back in the 70's...it would be nice to have the old vinyls released on CD. I also had "Bob McGrath Sings", I would love to hear that record again, it had some really good songs on it.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
I have the 45 of "Rubber Duckie", and on the back is the Sesame Street theme performed by The Kids.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Henson's 'Rubber Duckie" on 45 RPM Single

OH!

The flip-side of "Rubber Duckie" - WAS a different song altogether??

Do you have this 45 single in front of you there?

FAVOR: can you SCAN to picture the 45 record label in jpeg - both sides??

-JDD

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Anyone Have This Classic on CD?

Still looking for this classic LP on an audio CD somewhere...

If anyone has this available, please reply and whereever you are in the U.S.
you can call me direct on my cell phone for FREE....

..I'll send instructions privately via e-mail....

Thanks,
-JDD