1960's Milky Way commercial on YouTube - Muppet or not?

KermiClown

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Someone just gave me this link to a vintage commercial for Milky Way that they posted on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS74h9TVkpk

Not sure whether it is actually the Muppets or not. It has a Muppet sensibility to it, although the characters don't look like Muppets of the era.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it Muppets or not?

Let me know what you think.

zyzzybalubah

Reaction score
Definitaley not them. Doesnt sound like Jim or Frank at all.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's probably not them, puppets were very popular in '50s and '60s television. And the style and look of the characters is more similar to 'Kukla, Fran and Ollie'; when lip-sync didn't have to be as precise.

Still, it's a great historical find! And the 2nd guy did sound a little like Jim, though it wasn't him.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I thought the second character sounded exactly like Jim, but maybe that's just me.

Cool find! I'd be interested to learn if Jim ever worked for anyone else when he was just starting out.

KUBA

Reaction score
Yep, the 2nd guy kinda/sorta does sound Jim Henson'ish...hmmm.
I'd put money on it that it is him.:smile:

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Ok, the one guy does sound like Jim, BUT the puppets themselves don't look muppety too me, looking at other commercials during that time period, the puppet styles are different, it almosts looks as if its a plush puppet, maybe it was inspired by Jim's commercials, because they were probablly pretty popular back then. But the machine is very very Jim-esque.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. The machine looks very much like something Jim would design, but it's probably safe to say that it is deffenitely not the Muppets. It sounds a little like Jim, but not enough to convince me it's them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
Ok, the one guy does sound like Jim, BUT the puppets themselves don't look muppety too me, looking at other commercials during that time period, the puppet styles are different, it almosts looks as if its a plush puppet, maybe it was inspired by Jim's commercials, because they were probablly pretty popular back then. But the machine is very very Jim-esque.​
I agree, at best the people behind the commerical may have been influenced by The Muppets. But it's not them.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Maybe the Milky Way people were inspired by Jim's commercials and they hired someone to sound like Jim, but wasn't him on purpose.