15 minute PBS educational shows

Xerus

Reaction score
Back when I was sick from school or had a snow day or a teacher work day. I enjoyed those 15 minute PBS educational shows that only aired during school time. Like The Letter People, Math Patrol, Mulligan Stew, Readit, Cover to Cover, and Slim Goodbody. There was also one called Readalong. A show where puppets and kids teach us words. Here's the very first Readalong episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAawGbdiy6Y

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I remember readit! And I can't believe Slim Goodbody has a new show on the air! He's still rockin' that suit of his only he's put on a little tummy guy. But he's so thin you can't even tell...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't even remember the names of some of the weird stuff we got. I got something that was like a Captain Kangaroo type show that took place in an antique shop, 2 different shows on how to speak French (one was basically just a professor speaking, the other was an actual story and the show was entirely in French... maybe both were connected), something I want to call "Cover to Cover," and random others I just can't remember at the moment. They all looked like they were from the 70s.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember readit! And I can't believe Slim Goodbody has a new show on the air! He's still rockin' that suit of his only he's put on a little tummy guy. But he's so thin you can't even tell...
Slim's still around? I'd like to see this new show of his. I remember he had a superhero show on Captain Kangaroo and how he did 1 or 2 minute exercise commercials on classic Nickelodeon along with his PBS shows. Here's a song from Slim Goodbody back during the early 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mc6kTkG_Jk&feature=related

Xerus

Reaction score
I can't even remember the names of some of the weird stuff we got. I got something that was like a Captain Kangaroo type show that took place in an antique shop, 2 different shows on how to speak French (one was basically just a professor speaking, the other was an actual story and the show was entirely in French... maybe both were connected), something I want to call "Cover to Cover," and random others I just can't remember at the moment. They all looked like they were from the 70s.
I don't remember the French ones, but I remember this one where the characters spoke both English and Spanish. The Spanish speaking character was a giant man in a dog suit. But I can't remember the name of the show though.

Cover to Cover was about a man named John Robbins telling us stories. I remember the opening theme of CTC had two cartoon birds flying around exploring books. It was the same with Readit where the same guy from CTC was hosting and telling us stories he drew himself. Readit's opening had a Claymation frog hopping around on lily pads giving his frog friends books and telling them, "READIT!" One frog already had a book and said, "READ IT", with a short E. And another frog had finished writing a book and said, "WROTE IT!"

Was this antique shop show called The Wordshop? I think it was series about reading and writing and it featured scenes with a puppet cat and mouse.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I just saw this reading program which I don't remember seeing.

Wonder how come PBS stations aired it since they already had a reading series called TEC?

Xerus

Reaction score
I just saw this reading program which I don't remember seeing.

Wonder how come PBS stations aired it since they already had a reading series called TEC?
The Electric Company, Readalong, and The Letter People were all about reading. I believe there is room for more than one reading show. As long as they're educational and entertaining and fun as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And some more you might remember here on the main page of the site. I REALLY remember All About You, and how I hated how boring it was, and how I wished it would end sooner so Sesame Street or something else interresting would come on.That show tried way too hard to be Mr. Rogers lie, and it wasn't an iota like it.

I also vaugely remember Parlez Moi.... I remember seeing it some day in the 90's, during a brief 2 month period when my local PBS aired them on the other PBS station in the area (we get 2... 2 and 44. This happened to be on 44). And they had this diagram (of a mouth... it moved too)how to properly pronounce the first R in a word in French. So this guy in the audience said Juh Muh pell Rah-berht (He was saying je'mepell Robert-pardon my French- with a REALLY bad "I'm not going to bother" accent). The instructor went, "Non! Gggggrgrrrrooberrrrgggggghhhh! Grrruhhhhhh grrruuuhhhh" (my attempt at a visual equivvilant of a French "R" stressed) and showed that the tongue had to be curled a certain way, touching the top of your mouth.... really weird funny stuff (unintentionally).

Don't know why Ghost Writer was in that mix... not only was it not from the 70's, my PBS station aired it in a prime time Sunday slot.

Xerus

Reaction score
And some more you might remember here on the main page of the site. I REALLY remember All About You, and how I hated how boring it was, and how I wished it would end sooner so Sesame Street or something else interresting would come on.That show tried way too hard to be Mr. Rogers lie, and it wasn't an iota like it.

I also vaugely remember Parlez Moi.... I remember seeing it some day in the 90's, during a brief 2 month period when my local PBS aired them on the other PBS station in the area (we get 2... 2 and 44. This happened to be on 44). And they had this diagram (of a mouth... it moved too)how to properly pronounce the first R in a word in French. So this guy in the audience said Juh Muh pell Rah-berht (He was saying je'mepell Robert-pardon my French- with a REALLY bad "I'm not going to bother" accent). The instructor went, "Non! Gggggrgrrrrooberrrrgggggghhhh! Grrruhhhhhh grrruuuhhhh" (my attempt at a visual equivvilant of a French "R" stressed) and showed that the tongue had to be curled a certain way, touching the top of your mouth.... really weird funny stuff (unintentionally).

Don't know why Ghost Writer was in that mix... not only was it not from the 70's, my PBS station aired it in a prime time Sunday slot.
Thanx for the link, Dr. Tooth. :smile: I really liked the Math Patrol a lot. About a detective named Sidney who always has to wear a kanagroo suit for it was the only disguise he can fit in. I like how Sidney always solves crimes using math problems and I like the math songs they always sing in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6SGtNLDotk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wolNABrL2JA